• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar vs Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Consistentcy just edges it for him, but not much in it really and at their respective bests, Lara was better.

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
Tendulkar for sheer weight of runs and centuries, Lara for overall skill and flair; that 153* is one of the all time great innings.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Voted for tendulkar for his longevity but immense respect for Lara. I'd sooner pick Lara in an all time XI probably than tendulkar.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ponting better than them both if we're talking about batsmen in their prime.

centurymaker

International Captain
HASN'T THIS TOPIC BEEN DONE TO THE CORE ??

"tendulkar for longevity etc"
"lara for flair etc"
"ponting for his peak etc"

Move on people. We have all heard the same **** at least 339 times.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Ponting better than them both if we're talking about batsmen in their prime.
Respectfully disagree. Despite that amazing purple patch he had, which admittedly carried on for a few years, looking at his career at a whole I cannot agree that he was in the class of either, and the best of Lara in particular is some way beyond his reach. I can think off the top of my ahead of a dozen Lara performances that were more than anything Ponting seemed capable of. It's not his fault he never faced McGrath and Warne in Tests, but he never struck me as being any better than Dravid or Kallis - or even at various times teammates like Hayden, Martyn and Gilchrist - against the other really dangerous bowlers that were around in his prime. I suspect that outside Australia Ponting will always be considered a notch below those two.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Well, my take is that Lara was capable of doing absolutely anything with that bat, match wining ton, match saving ton, quick ton off 70 balls, 300/400, all against the very best attacks of his generation. Sachin cant quite lay claim to do doing those things. Lara had the fear factor, that 1999 series was just out of this world batting, unsure whether ive EVER seen such a ridiculously high standard of batting in any series ive watched, all 3 of his tons were so different, and brutal, against the highest quality attack, he just ripped them all apart, not just scored 3 normal tons......

centurymaker

International Captain
@CWB304

but then you could argue that lara was quite inconsistent relatively speaking.

he would get a 200 and then sooner or later follow it up with low scores..
didn't make the best of his form etc

would you prefer a guy who scores 200, 0, 20
or 110, 40, 70

actually generally speaking 200s don't win games imo because they usually come on the flattest decks ever.

and now do we rate bastmen based on 2 or 3 of their best series' in their huge careers?

futile discussion really.

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
Well, my take is that Lara was capable of doing absolutely anything with that bat, match wining ton, match saving ton, quick ton off 70 balls
yes, he was capable of such brilliance but how often did he produce it?
about as often as other greats, if not less, is the answer in all honesty.

generally speaking, people have a tendency to over-rate players based on a couple of miraculous innings, just like how they let short-term memory bias affect their perception of players ( eg kallis, ponting).

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
All greats and all should be appreciated for their differences and their tremendous skill and records.

None would have been as great as the man in the white boardies would have been if he'd been given a chance....