• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar vs Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting all separated them selves from the other batsmen of their era with Kallis just below that level, and it's almost a disservice to try to separate them while disparaging the other two.
They are all champions, including Kallis, Dravid and Sangakkara and among the greatest batsmen ever.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Respectfully disagree. Despite that amazing purple patch he had, which admittedly carried on for a few years, looking at his career at a whole I cannot agree that he was in the class of either, and the best of Lara in particular is some way beyond his reach. I can think off the top of my ahead of a dozen Lara performances that were more than anything Ponting seemed capable of. It's not his fault he never faced McGrath and Warne in Tests, but he never struck me as being any better than Dravid or Kallis - or even at various times teammates like Hayden, Martyn and Gilchrist - against the other really dangerous bowlers that were around in his prime. I suspect that outside Australia Ponting will always be considered a notch below those two.
"A few years".

100 or so tests...

Been done to death of course. I've always thought Tendulkar is the better of the three, but Lara's highs as a player were almost super human.

angad

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar edges it. Both dominated similar type of bowlers and got owned by similar type of bowlers. Both handled Warne (Sachin played him better) and Murali (Lara played him better) with ease, got kinda owned by Mcgrath, decent vs likes of Donald. I personally feel Lara was fragile against sheer pace, I think Ponting was much better when handling pace. Lara has below avg performances in India, Sachin has better overall record and consistency.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
neither.

Kallis >

reason 1 : avg =57
reason 2 : bowling workload
reason 3 : South African pitches

popcorn/

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar/ Lara
Ponting

Kallis

Dravid
Sangakkara
Smith
Inzamam
Hayden
Chanderpaul
Amla
Sehwag
Jayawardeane

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It took Ponting some time to mature from promising to great, didn't it? For the first 4-5 years, you never knew if he would convert all that potential to results. Lara and Tendulkar, they made statements much earlier in their careers. Also, I never got the feeling of watching something truly special and genius-like with Ponting, unlike Lara's 153 or Sachin in Sharjah. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that those two knocks came while batting out of an underdog line up against the dominant side of the era..Ponting always (till the very end anyway) had the cushion of almost unshakeable faith and confidence in the men surrounding him in his team. Surely that must've counted for something.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, it depends on a lot of things and what you value and how you weight it. I put Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting generally on the same plane. I guess I'd vote for Lara, if you were asking me who I'd want, instead of Ponting, out of those two. Well, actually, if we're talking about the length of their careers then maybe Tendulkar. ****, its tough.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I would take Lara as the guy I'd want in my test team, though they're all pretty inseparable. Watching Tendulkar bat just never got my juices flowing tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TBF, it depends on a lot of things and what you value and how you weight it. I put Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting generally on the same plane. I guess I'd vote for Lara, if you were asking me who I'd want, instead of Ponting, out of those two. Well, actually, if we're talking about the length of their careers then maybe Tendulkar. ****, its tough.

Slifer

International Captain
Tendulkar edges it. Both dominated similar type of bowlers and got owned by similar type of bowlers. Both handled Warne (Sachin played him better) and Murali (Lara played him better) with ease, got kinda owned by Mcgrath, decent vs likes of Donald. I personally feel Lara was fragile against sheer pace, I think Ponting was much better when handling pace. Lara has below avg performances in India, Sachin has better overall record and consistency.
One 3 test series in '94 really ??

Top_Cat

It took Ponting some time to mature from promising to great, didn't it? For the first 4-5 years, you never knew if he would convert all that potential to results. Lara and Tendulkar, they made statements much earlier in their careers. Also, I never got the feeling of watching something truly special and genius-like with Ponting, unlike Lara's 153 or Sachin in Sharjah. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that those two knocks came while batting out of an underdog line up against the dominant side of the era..Ponting always (till the very end anyway) had the cushion of almost unshakeable faith and confidence in the men surrounding him in his team. Surely that must've counted for something.
The same strength of the batting around Ponting was the reason he didn't get picked on a regular basis early in his career. A small low patch and you're out so it cuts both ways. Same with Lara, incidentally; spent a couple of years on the fringes of WI selection when Viv and others were still around before getting a regular go and it took that great knock in Sydney to make him an automatic pick. The time he took to do that was shorter but then the competition for places probably wasn't as intense for Lara at that time as it was for Ponting early days.

Top_Cat

Tendulkar around '98 was ridiculous batting. Only the best even rushed him, let alone got him out.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If you only looked at his career from the mid 00's till now, you would no way class him as a great.
He has only been a very good player, overall, since then.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
if you didn't watch him before 2004, you wouldn't have a clue why he has such a legacy.

I believe he turned ATG around 2001, if not earlier.
I'm basically making my decision based on stuff I watch on Rob's channel, this has nothing to do with Sachin's recent decline. Lara just has that extra touch of magic from what I've watched.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
videos will only show you their stroke-making (i.e 4s and stuff mostly)

they won't show you how they fared the other 95% of the time.