View Poll Results: Who is the better test batsman?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

13 33.33%
  • Brian Lara

20 51.28%
  • James Anderson

6 15.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tendulkar vs Lara

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Well, my take is that Lara was capable of doing absolutely anything with that bat, match wining ton, match saving ton, quick ton off 70 balls, 300/400, all against the very best attacks of his generation. Sachin cant quite lay claim to do doing those things. Lara had the fear factor, that 1999 series was just out of this world batting, unsure whether ive EVER seen such a ridiculously high standard of batting in any series ive watched, all 3 of his tons were so different, and brutal, against the highest quality attack, he just ripped them all apart, not just scored 3 normal tons......
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    @CWB304

but then you could argue that lara was quite inconsistent relatively speaking.

he would get a 200 and then sooner or later follow it up with low scores..
    didn't make the best of his form etc

would you prefer a guy who scores 200, 0, 20
    or 110, 40, 70

actually generally speaking 200s don't win games imo because they usually come on the flattest decks ever.

and now do we rate bastmen based on 2 or 3 of their best series' in their huge careers?

futile discussion really.
    Last edited by centurymaker; 15-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Well, my take is that Lara was capable of doing absolutely anything with that bat, match wining ton, match saving ton, quick ton off 70 balls
    yes, he was capable of such brilliance but how often did he produce it?
    about as often as other greats, if not less, is the answer in all honesty.

generally speaking, people have a tendency to over-rate players based on a couple of miraculous innings, just like how they let short-term memory bias affect their perception of players ( eg kallis, ponting).
    Last edited by centurymaker; 15-12-2012 at 03:25 PM.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Didn't we already have a Lara vs Tendulkar topic..why the hell do we have another one?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    All greats and all should be appreciated for their differences and their tremendous skill and records.

None would have been as great as the man in the white boardies would have been if he'd been given a chance....

Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting all separated them selves from the other batsmen of their era with Kallis just below that level, and it's almost a disservice to try to separate them while disparaging the other two.
    They are all champions, including Kallis, Dravid and Sangakkara and among the greatest batsmen ever.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB304 View Post
    Respectfully disagree. Despite that amazing purple patch he had, which admittedly carried on for a few years, looking at his career at a whole I cannot agree that he was in the class of either, and the best of Lara in particular is some way beyond his reach. I can think off the top of my ahead of a dozen Lara performances that were more than anything Ponting seemed capable of. It's not his fault he never faced McGrath and Warne in Tests, but he never struck me as being any better than Dravid or Kallis - or even at various times teammates like Hayden, Martyn and Gilchrist - against the other really dangerous bowlers that were around in his prime. I suspect that outside Australia Ponting will always be considered a notch below those two.
    "A few years".

100 or so tests...

Been done to death of course. I've always thought Tendulkar is the better of the three, but Lara's highs as a player were almost super human.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Tendulkar edges it. Both dominated similar type of bowlers and got owned by similar type of bowlers. Both handled Warne (Sachin played him better) and Murali (Lara played him better) with ease, got kinda owned by Mcgrath, decent vs likes of Donald. I personally feel Lara was fragile against sheer pace, I think Ponting was much better when handling pace. Lara has below avg performances in India, Sachin has better overall record and consistency.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer jaideep's Avatar
    Lara easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jaideep View Post
    Lara easily.
    hello, TR _ _ L

Banned
    Tendulkar by about three quarters of a hair

neither.

Kallis >

reason 1 : avg =57
    reason 2 : bowling workload
    reason 3 : South African pitches

popcorn/

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha Kallis...right.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Tendulkar/ Lara
    Ponting

Kallis

Dravid
    Sangakkara
    Smith
    Inzamam
    Hayden
    Chanderpaul
    Amla
    Sehwag
    Jayawardeane

State Vice-Captain
    It took Ponting some time to mature from promising to great, didn't it? For the first 4-5 years, you never knew if he would convert all that potential to results. Lara and Tendulkar, they made statements much earlier in their careers. Also, I never got the feeling of watching something truly special and genius-like with Ponting, unlike Lara's 153 or Sachin in Sharjah. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that those two knocks came while batting out of an underdog line up against the dominant side of the era..Ponting always (till the very end anyway) had the cushion of almost unshakeable faith and confidence in the men surrounding him in his team. Surely that must've counted for something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information