• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohinder Amarnath : Selectors wanted to drop Dhoni Unanimosly

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Just saying on CNN IBN that they wanted to replace Dhoni with Kohli as ODI skipper and Sehwag in tests, but the board intervened and stopped it.

These are interviews from yesterday, but he has gone further today saying they were overruled by the BCCI president N Srinivasan as per constitution.

Selectors wanted Virender Sehwag to replace MS Dhoni: Mohinder Amarnath - The Times of India

MS Dhoni retained as captain against selectors' wish: Mohinder Amarnath - Sport - DNA

Dhoni Does Not Deserve Place in Team: Mohinder Amarnath, by PTI

Just ftr, Mohinder Amarnath was in line to become the next Chief of Selectors after Srikkanth but was axed from the committee widely believed because of his earning to sack Dhoni.

cnerd123

likes this
^ Heard about all that.

BCCI probably can spin a lot of money out of MSD through sponsorships and TV viewings.

N Srinivasan is pretty openly a fan of MSD too.

It's Indian politics all over again. Seeps into every aspect of Indian life really; and it's no new surprise that the BCCI is corrupt.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Frankly don't get why they wanted to sack him for the ODI tri series, but the whole Chennai Super Kings connection between Srinivasan, Srikkanth and Dhoni was a mess waiting to happen.

cnerd123

likes this
Frankly don't get why they wanted to sack him for the ODI tri series, but the whole Chennai Super Kings connection between Srinivasan, Srikkanth and Dhoni was a mess waiting to happen.
According to Cricinfo, Amarnath didn't want to drop MSD for ODIs, but for Tests only.

"I think he should be replaced in Test cricket. I am not talking shorter versions. He is an asset there, he has done very well, he is a match-winner, but with the technique he has I don't see him do any wonders in Test cricket.
Maybe just wanted to remove him of captaincy to ease his burden/groom Kohli for Tests? Doesn't sound like the craziest idea. Give Kohli a couple of years as ODI skipper, and then when Sehwag moves on you have a Test skipper available.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
All of a sudden he decides to come clean on this now. Reeks of opportunism. Would have appreciated him if he had resigned in protest when this happened.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(that was the guy who picked his son for an india a tour that he no right to be on, right)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Did they actually want to drop him or just sack him as captain?
Sack him as ODI captain for the tri series, and then maybe drop him from the test team from what he has said.

Though they still had to discuss about the test team when it was up for selection later.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
All of a sudden he decides to come clean on this now. Reeks of opportunism. Would have appreciated him if he had resigned in protest when this happened.
Well, he does mention that the Board president can overrule the selection committee's suggestions. At least he's saying something now, more than can be said for so many sycophantic ex players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow this is huge. I officially was anti-Dhoni as captain in January 2011 after I believe his captaincy cost us a first ever series win in South Africa, which would have been huge for Indian cricket.

The fact he was supposed to have been sacked as captain only 12 months later after 4-0 4-0 makes sense. No one in their right mind would keep their job if you were to equate what 4-0 4-0 was to any profession.

BCCI blocking it is ridiculous really. Especially if its unanimous.

uvelocity

International Coach
Wow this is huge. I officially was anti-Dhoni as captain in January 2011 after I believe his captaincy cost us a first ever series win in South Africa, which would have been huge for Indian cricket.

The fact he was supposed to have been sacked as captain only 12 months later after 4-0 4-0 makes sense. No one in their right mind would keep their job if you were to equate what 4-0 4-0 was to any profession.

BCCI blocking it is ridiculous really. Especially if its unanimous.
0-4 0-4 ftr