• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohinder Amarnath : Selectors wanted to drop Dhoni Unanimosly

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just one point.

Jimmy Amarnath is one of the few former Indian cricketers with an impeccable reputation for being straight forward with no axes to grind. He has no sons playing and in line for any senior sides. He was due to be the next chairman of selectors and was removed from the selection committee itself. Even at that time he did not create a racket and quietly left. That is the kind of guy he is; non-controversial and not interested in the limelight reticent, retiring and self effacing are the terms one could use for Jimmy. He would not on his own volunteer such information but , on the other hand, if some one asked him a direct question he will not hum and haw and beat around the bush trying to evade even though he wouldn't have volunteered the controversial bit of information on his own either to run someone down or for any other vested interest. That is just the kind of guy he happens to be. So stop bashing the messenger please.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sort of asks the question why the board even bothers with a selection panel if they're going to effectively emasculate it.

I think we all sort of suspect the rectitude of the BCCI generally, but it's still a bit of a shock it's quite so craven as this. Well, to me, anyway.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Gavaskar defend the BCCI chief for preventing Dhoni's sacking, Not a surprise from Gavaskar. Interesting also how he does nit refute what Jimmy said and in fact calls the latter's actions "courageous" which is true of course.

Former selector Mohinder Amarnath has openly stated that Mahendra Singh Dhoni needs to be removed from Test captaincy but his former teammate Sunil Gavaskar feels that "time is not opportune as there is no alternative".

"There is no alternative to Dhoni. He and Virat Kohli have been tireless on the field. Virat has been exception and Dhoni has also been tireless. He hasn't missed too many opportunities of catching and stumping," Gavaskar told NDTV today.

Asked about how would one come to know if there is a suitable alternative unless someone is thrown at the deep end of the pool, Gavaskar replied, "Time is not opportune. May be there can be a rethink after Nagpur Test as the series will get over."

Gavaskar termed Amarnath's decision to speak out on the selection controversy as "incredibly courageous."

"What Jimmy has done is incredibly courageous and there are lessons to be learnt. He had the courage and conviction and was prepared to face the consequences."

About Amarnath's allegations on N Srinivasan blocking Dhoni's removal from captaincy, Gavaskar said,"It has always been the protocol to take final approval from the board. It is nothing out of the ordinary. The practice is also followed by the cricket boards in England and Australia."

Gavaskar even gave a reference to the board's constitution drawing a parallel with the Indian constitution.

"Don't we see that the country's President sends a particular recommendation back to Parliament for further discussion. Similarly, the board has a lot of layers. There is a technical committee and it's recommendations are forwarded to the Working Committee and from there it goes to the main board meeting."

Asked about whether Dhoni being the captain of Chennai Super Kings --- the franchise that is owned by the board president has been a factor, Gavaskar answered, "It's tough call. We should believe that the BCCI president would certainly have the interest of country's cricket at heart."​

Source : Sunil Gavaskar takes 'anti-Mohinder Amarnath' stand, backs M S Dhoni - Indian Express

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Sunny's setting a low bar nowadays if he's been impressed with Dhoni's keeping this series. Although saying he "hasn't missed too many opportunities of catching and stumping" is a bit of a backhanded compliment, I suppose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
About Amarnath's allegations on N Srinivasan blocking Dhoni's removal from captaincy, Gavaskar said,"It has always been the protocol to take final approval from the board. It is nothing out of the ordinary. The practice is also followed by the cricket boards in England and Australia."
Has there been a recent example of either CA or the ECB completely disregarding the wishes of the selectors though?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Whatever his intentions be, coming up with this 2 days before a very important test match is not going to help the team. With all the rumours floating around, would be a miracle if India managed to win the last test.

Do not see Dhoni surviving a series loss against England especially with all the talk of lack of team unity and this controversy. Wonder if the selectors would be brave enough to give it to Kohli, regardless of his current form.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Has there been a recent example of either CA or the ECB completely disregarding the wishes of the selectors though?
Rare and we are unlikely to hear of them.

If we had heard about them the way we have heard about this one, Gavaskar wouldn't have had reason to call Mohinder's act "courageous" In India it takes a lot of guts from those who are still connected to the game to speak against the powerful coterie of the board. It is for no love for the selectors or great appreciation of their job that the BCCI raised their sitting fees to a mind boggling Rx 40 lakhs (four million) in Dec 2009, This year they raised it further to Rs 60 lakhs (6 million) per annum.

Most people feel this is to ensure those chosen for the job, do the job "expected of them".

That does not include 'disobeying' the lords and masters who control the purse strings.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever becomes of Dhoni the test captain, I hope it's handled in a proper and professional manner, because despite all the test failures captaincy and batting wise, he's still our best ODI player and his ODI record is incredible, and India can't afford to lose a player like that due to politics or badly handled situations or whatever else.

Personally I think Dhoni should quit T20I's for sure, they're a total waste of his time and he should be reserved for more important commitments.

T20I's would be the perfect way to start of Kohli's captaincy, so there isn't too much pressure on him. I think it would be massively unfair to give Kohli the test captaincy right now with the team in transition and his form not the best.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair to Dhoni, speaking as an outsider looking in, he does seem a pretty phlegmatic sort of a chap.

Whatever else one thinks of his captaincy, his ability to treat Kipling's twin imposters alike is impressive. I can't see this phasing him unduly nor affecting his professionalism.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is not the first time the BCCI or Captain have interfered with the selectors. In 2004, Kirmani and his team were fed up with Parthiv Patel's poor wicketkeeping (and inconsequential batting) as also Rahul Dravid's horrible wicketkeeping, and wanted both dropped at some stage, but Ganguly, then captain, vehemently opposed them, and had his way.

In 2007, after the World Cup debacle, BCCI chief Sharad Pawar sent a directive to then Chief Selector, Dilip Vengsarkar, that the seniors needed to be phased out and a young team should be picked. Vengsarkar, who favoured picking older players, found it rather demeaning, and felt it questioned his authority and ability.

In 2008, RP Singh was in poor form, and didn't deserve a place in the ODI squad, while Irfan got runs and wickets for Baroda. The selectors accordingly dropped RP Singh for Irfan. Yet, Dhoni stepped in and didn't allow for that at all, and it took some convincing to get him to accept Irfan as a team member, at the very least.

The selectors sometimes get the job done right. Yet, there are times when the captain, or board boss, backing the wrong men (or boys), have their way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be fair to Dhoni, speaking as an outsider looking in, he does seem a pretty phlegmatic sort of a chap.

Whatever else one thinks of his captaincy, his ability to treat Kipling's twin imposters alike is impressive. I can't see this phasing him unduly nor affecting his professionalism.
I get the feeling he knows he literally came from nothing to stardom quickly. He knows how fickle it all is. He's an intelligent guy.

For 24 months now I've been fairly vocal about wanting him gone as captain, but very little of that has to do with personality or leadership (though some of his comments are obviously annoying - especially re umpired). Just his batting and tactics combined are too annoying. Plus swore I'd never forgive him in South Africa when he went defensive instead of putting the foot on SA's throat and they got away with a draw.

He will be fine. But will he continue in the test team? If you drop him as captain, his keeping and test batting will be exposed. He's been able to hide behind captaincy (and his ODI brilliant) at test level for a while now.

cnerd123

likes this
If he's dropped as captain, he's dropped from the Test team.

It's weird having a captain in ODIs/T20s who doesn't play Tests, but I think MSD can pull it off.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni really doesn't need to be T20 captain. He's been captain for what, 4 T20 World Cups. Give Kohli a chance to show leadership skills in that format, just like Dhoni had.