• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa ATG - Open Voting

Slifer

International Captain
Or on the other hand 4 quicks have never faced a batsman of Bradmans unequalled excellence !!!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Get out of single figures yes, average anywhere near 100, no.

Of all the teams, England I believe would struggle the most, especially againts a quality pace attack, eapecially after the top two in the order.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So if Bradman drops to say 75, I assume you'll similarly penalise all other batsmen of that era by 25% (or more for those who didn't play the better bowlers of the time that well) - the bloke is that far ahead of the field as to be ridiculous to just change one person.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Of all the teams, England I believe would struggle the most, especially againts a quality pace attack, eapecially after the top two in the order.
Ignoring your Bradman obsession for a moment and dealing with your other comment - what on earth makes you think that?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
After the top three England lacks a true Alpha male in the middle order and Hammond struggled againts quicks and short bowling in particular.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Denis Compton was a wonderful player of fast bowling - his duels with Lindwall and Miller just after the war were legendary.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting to note that 9 people out of those teams were knighted. None of them were out and out bowlers.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless it's happened posthumously in the past day and I hadn't heard about it, Hammond was never knighted.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
After the top three England lacks a true Alpha male in the middle order and Hammond struggled againts quicks and short bowling in particular.
Erm.. Barrington and Compton are ridiculously good against fast bowling. The problem with england is not the top 5 but the lower middle order. Their 6,7,8 are comparably weaker than other sides as far as batting goes.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Compton scored 4 post war hundreds vs Australia none above a s/r of 42 . Of the other two either Lindwall or Miller was missing in action and he averaged 33 in Australia. Not what I would call ridiculously good againts fast bowling.
He was indeed a great player but not a true alpha male top tier ATG batsman like a Chappell, Pollock, Tendulkar or any of the W.I middle order bats who could and often destroyed attacks and take a match away from the opposition.

Meaty in the middle | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

watson

Banned
Erm.. Barrington and Compton are ridiculously good against fast bowling. The problem with england is not the top 5 but the lower middle order. Their 6,7,8 are comparably weaker than other sides as far as batting goes.
Pretty much on the money. APE Knott was a very competent batsman against fast bowling and spin alike. However, I 'm not sure that he would get much support from Botham or Laker if fronting up to ATG bowling attacks. Someone like Procter batting at No.8 would make all the difference to the depth of England batting.

watson

Banned
I don't think Hammond struggled against fast-bowling (?) I read that he rarely played the hook-shot, but that is not necessarily a weakness.

Also kyear, it is quite likely that many of the pre-70s players (Bradman included) would have enhanced techniques if they wore modern helmets and protection. That is, they would benefit from the added confidence that such equipment gives.

If Bradman, Trumper, Hammond, or Compton were to face Marshall, Ambrose, and Garner, then they would be suitably kitted out, and bat significantly better for it.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't think Hammond struggled against fast-bowling (?) I read that he rarely played the hook-shot, but that is not necessarily a weakness.

Also kyear, it is quite likely that many of the pre-70s players (Bradman included) would have enhanced techniques if they wore modern helmets and protection. That is, they would benefit from the added confidence that such equipment gives.

If Bradman, Trumper, Hammond, or Compton were to face Marshall, Ambrose, and Garner, then they would be suitably kitted out, and bat significantly better for it.
Bradman or Neil Harvey with the bats used nowadays.....fmd!

Flem274*

123/5
Are we speculating on what would happen if you stuffed someone from the 2000s in a time machine to the 1930s again?

Because they would probably get arrested for their tats or conscripted into someones army.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Compton scored 4 post war hundreds vs Australia none above a s/r of 42 . Of the other two either Lindwall or Miller was missing in action and he averaged 33 in Australia. Not what I would call ridiculously good againts fast bowling.
He was indeed a great player but not a true alpha male top tier ATG batsman like a Chappell, Pollock, Tendulkar or any of the W.I middle order bats who could and often destroyed attacks and take a match away from the opposition.

Meaty in the middle | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
So you've taken the "alpha male" quote from that article? Not sure how that makes it gospel.

Compton's average in Australia was hurt by an awful series he had in 50/51 where he averaged single figures, which was a case of having a shocking run of form generally rather than a specific weakness to fast bowling. The idea that Compton wasn't a good player of fast bowling and isn't a genuine all time great is ridiculous IMO.

watson

Banned
Are we speculating on what would happen if you stuffed someone from the 2000s in a time machine to the 1930s again?

Because they would probably get arrested for their tats or conscripted into someones army.
Actually, it's the other way around as I can't watch Bradman bat unless the time happens to be my 'present' life-time. Although I could jump in the Time-Machine too I guess and go back in time, but that wouldn't be fair on other CWs who may also like to see the Don. We can't all fit, unless it's like a Tardus with heaps of room........

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Not sure if Trumper would actually put any of the new clothing on - he refused to wear gloves even when they were accepted as a necessity for batting.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah fair point, though I think it's really the number 8 position rather than all three. Botham at his best certainly holds his own as a batsman alongside Miller and Faulkner in my opinion (though obviously all three are a class or two below Sobers) while Knotty was a very valuable lower order player too, while also being the best pure gloveman selected by any team.

Last edited: