• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa ATG - Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I highly doubt Marshall, Holding, Ambrose would have done any better on these batting friendly roads of this era.
Both Marshall and Holding excelled on the roads that were Indian pitches and everywhere that they played including some dead pitches in England and Australia that were prepared to negate them. Ambrose was just world class and averaged better than Mcgrath when they were both playing and Mcgrath actually averaged less in the '00's than in the 90's , so hnless everyone dug up the pitches every where when Akram, Ambrose, Donald ect retired, or the quality of fast bowling, Steyn and Mcgrath apart has just declined.
Garner, the slowest of the lot relied on accurarcy and bounce and his deadly yorkers.

Regarding Steyn, all I said is that the is not there yet, lets just wait and see how he finishws his career first.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The pace attack is not as good as the W.I or Pakistan. Donald is a top tier ATG, but Steyn is not there, yet and Procter never got a chance to prove his worth in test cricket and certainly not vs any strong teams or in the SC. Did perform well IN limited opportunities in WSC.
In my books, Shaun Pollock is at the same level as Holding and Garner, and he didn't find a place in SA XI. I agree though that Marshall and Ambrose are ahead of any of the SA pacers. Overall, it's fairly close.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In my books, Shaun Pollock is at the same level as Holding and Garner, and he didn't find a place in SA XI. I agree though that Marshall and Ambrose are ahead of any of the SA pacers. Overall, it's fairly close.
Really?

I rate Holding in the same league with Lillee, Imran, Hadlee, Donald ect and Garner just below that, Ambrose I rate with Mcgrath and well Marshall, everyone knows where I place him. Don't see Polly making the West Indies team either.

Let me know if I am wrong.

Back on topic, nice tight race brewing.
Not convinced of Faulkners batting (or bowling for that matter) will go with Dennis Lindsay.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketweb South Africa All Time XI
Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketweb Australia All Time XI
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Sir Donald Bradman *
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Denis Lille
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn Mcgrath

Ricky Ponting
Allan Davidson

Cricketweb West Indies A.T. XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley *
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
Sir Clyde Walcott +
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Frank Worrell
Lance Gibbs

Cricketweb England A.T. XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton *
Sir Wally Hammond
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Sir Ian Botham
Allan Knott +
Jim Laker
Harold Larwood
Fred Trueman
Syd Barnes

Hedley Verity
Kevin Pietersen

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite +
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor

What do you guys think.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Jacques Kallis
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
John Waite
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Shaun Pollock
Herbie Taylor
He was good, but he wasn't THAT good.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was fun, would be an interesting contest between those four teams. Still think in the end would come down to West Indies and Australia.

Pakistan next Watson?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was fun, would be an interesting contest between those four teams. Still think in the end would come down to West Indies and Australia.

Pakistan next Watson?
Didn't someone already do a Pakistan/India side?

Slifer

International Captain
TBH I think all the teams r pretty close but really with Bradman Oz has a real advantage

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
TBH I think all the teams r pretty close but really with Bradman Oz has a real advantage
Nah, Bradman dropped his bundle against two 90mph quicks aiming for his head. If he had to deal with 4 of them he'd never get out of single figures.