• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa ATG - Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Faulkner's numbers could be somewhat misleading.

Againts Australia he averaged 62 with the bat and 50 (s/r 81) with the ball
Againts England he averaged 30 with the bat and 21 (s/r 45) with the ball

With the bat he only had two good years where he averaged over 23

1906 - 18
1907 - 23
1910 - 66
1911 - 69
1912 - 19
1924 - 18

From this it seems that he only batted well in good batting conditions and bowled well in helpful bowling conditions and in both instances struggled in the other dicipline. His batting also showed inconsistentcy and frankly cames across as a FTB with both bat and ball.

Again Kallis is the second best All Rounder to play the game and the team is good enough with hin supporting three great quicks (Steyn, Donald and Procter) with Tayfied as the spinning option.

Jager

International Debutant
Again Kallis is the second best All Rounder to play the game and the team is good enough with hin supporting three great quicks (Steyn, Donald and Procter) with Tayfied as the spinning option.
You say that like it's a fact - Kallis being the second best ever is highly debatable, as a batting-orientated allrounder he's definitely there for me though

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
An All Rounder to me is someone who can legitimately bat in the top order (at worst # 7) and also servive at the least as the team's fifth bolwer. Not too many players did that better than Kallis.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
An All Rounder to me is someone who can legitimately bat in the top order (at worst # 7) and also servive at the least as the team's fifth bolwer. Not too many players did that better than Kallis.
Weird definition I reckon; I consider the #8 batting slot to be as important as the fifth bowler, all other things equal. Your definition seems skewed towards batting allrounders.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd really like to have chosen a keeper first, tbh.

His batting is a factor in the picking of #6.

Faulkner, as is tho.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Faulkner's numbers could be somewhat misleading.

Againts Australia he averaged 62 with the bat and 50 (s/r 81) with the ball
Againts England he averaged 30 with the bat and 21 (s/r 45) with the ball

With the bat he only had two good years where he averaged over 23

1906 - 18
1907 - 23
1910 - 66
1911 - 69
1912 - 19
1924 - 18

From this it seems that he only batted well in good batting conditions and bowled well in helpful bowling conditions and in both instances struggled in the other dicipline. His batting also showed inconsistentcy and frankly cames across as a FTB with both bat and ball.
This year by year analysis of Faulkner is faulty.

In 1906, Faulkner played one series against England and the conditions were extremely tough. Low scores were made mostly through out the series and England hardly reached 200 in the series. South Africa won it 4-1. Faulkner did not get to bat in 2 Innings, remained Not Out in one and got run out in one. Most of the batting failed in the series, can't only nitpick Faulkner there.

In 1907, also one series against England and he remained Not Out in the drawn 1st Match, scorecard read like this in 2nd Match- 76 (Eng), 110 (SA), 162 (Eng), 75 (SA); Faulkner picked up 6/17 in 11 overs. Faulkner went out to open for the first time (?) in 3rd Match and scored 2, 42 in a drawn match.

The return of the English side to South Africa in 1909/10 for a five Test series saw Faulkner at the height of his skills and had many, including Wisden, calling him the best all-rounder in the world, as he was the leading run scorer from either team, scoring 545 runs at 60.55 and the second highest wicket taker with 29 at 21.89. Faulkner then carried this form into his next series, against Australia in Australia in 1910/11. In the five Test series, Faulkner scored 732 runs at 73.20, including a highest score of 204 in the second Test at Melbourne and took 10 wickets at 51.40.
One could argue he had only one bad year that was when he lost his form in 1912 after scoring 122* against Australia. In 1924, he played only one Test Match.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
you're definition of an allrounder is a tad one sided. what about bowling allrounders ala Shaun pollock or mike procter? my understanding of an all Rounder is one who is great or outstanding in one discipline and can do the other one quite well. as for the analysis on Faulkner and his perfomances, we can only go by his stats and like it or not his stats are compelling IMO.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
My definition: An all-rounder is someone that wins you runs; someone who averages more with the bat than the ball.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So Aubrey Faulkner it is.

Team thus far

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Aubrey Faulkner

Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

Kindly choose the final two bolwers to complete the team, you may choose any two of the following of any two of your own choosing.

Neil Adcock
Hugh Tayfield
Peter Pollock
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock
Makayha Ntini

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tayfield & Proctor.

Although sorely tempted with Adcock too as an attack of Donald, Steyn and him would be pretty awesome to see.

Proc no slouch speed-wise tho, obvz.