Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A retrospective on Ricky Ponting, from the USA

School Boy/Girl Captain

A retrospective on Ricky Ponting, from the USA

Our final piece marking Ricky Ponting's retirement comes from David Mutton, an Englishman in New York.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmutton View Post

Our final piece marking Ricky Ponting's retirement comes from David Mutton, an Englishman in New York.
    Brilliant and thought provoking post - from a fellow Englishman.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Great read.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Love this member. Really wish he'd post more, be it via the forum or the main site. Can't speak highly enough of him, whether he's Peter Della Penna or not. Quality article, regardless.
    ~ Cribbage

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    For my mind another typically shallow piece by an englishman. Instead of looking at the full spectrum of Pontings career it just hones in on the negative and smaller part of Pontings career. Wow what a gun you must be because you called Ponting a tool, that must have pumped you a bit and made you feel very patriotic. How ingenious of you to mention the most blown out incident in the history of cricket, a writing masterpiece to mention Pratt, that is sure to stir the emotions of every englishman.

Another stroke of brilliance is to play on an incident when Ponting was a teenager in a pub. you must be the first person to write about that well done sir you could get a gig att most cheap pommie papers. I can see that your wife dosent really know much about cricket but does read the tabliods you leave lying around.

You could have talked about Ponting the cricketer, some things you probably dont know are, he scored a hundred in both innings of his 100th test match. He scored a hundred in a world cup final. He was a brilliant fielder probably the best ever. He played in 100 winning test matches.

Oh and if you did want to just focus on his personal life Ponting created a childrens charity for cancer victims and spends a lot of his time and money helping others quietly in the background.

IMO a pathetic piece written poorly and lacks basic research by someone who knows little about the subject.
    If you nick it walk

TNT
    U19 Debutant

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmutton View Post

Quite possibly the worst article I've seen written. Well done.

I particularly liked this part.

Most English fans would agree. They are correct, at least in that there is a passing resemblance between the former Australian captain and the USA's 43rd president. However this comparison goes beyond facial similarities. In this reading they both led with a simplistic swagger. Successes were thanks to the skills of subordinates and defeat was met with graceless sulking. At the heights of their powers both shared an arrogant smirk that suggested a bully assured of victory because of the overwhelming firepower at their command
    Does this flog realise that Ponting was one of the most dominant batsmen of this generation, and one of the main reason's behind those triumphs......?

I guess Sutcliffe and co were hacks because they lost the ashes 3 times towards the end of his career as well?
    Last edited by sphynx; 09-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yeah look tbh, it's not a very good article. No need for the personal insults, but it's not great.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Brilliant read imo

Hmm, I didn't love the article because I don't have any particular interest in the Presidents of the USA apart from peaches and lump.

It would have been nice to see a few highlights of Ponting's career mentioned, but I guess it didn't fit the article.

going to see them in march n00fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    going to see them in march n00fan
    I was thinking about it too mate, in old Sydney town. I do like some of there other stuff too ftr.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Disappointing tbh
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    For my mind another typically shallow piece by an englishman. Instead of looking at the full spectrum of Pontings career it just hones in on the negative and smaller part of Pontings career. Wow what a gun you must be because you called Ponting a tool, that must have pumped you a bit and made you feel very patriotic. How ingenious of you to mention the most blown out incident in the history of cricket, a writing masterpiece to mention Pratt, that is sure to stir the emotions of every englishman.

Another stroke of brilliance is to play on an incident when Ponting was a teenager in a pub. you must be the first person to write about that well done sir you could get a gig att most cheap pommie papers. I can see that your wife dosent really know much about cricket but does read the tabliods you leave lying around.

You could have talked about Ponting the cricketer, some things you probably dont know are, he scored a hundred in both innings of his 100th test match. He scored a hundred in a world cup final. He was a brilliant fielder probably the best ever. He played in 100 winning test matches.

Oh and if you did want to just focus on his personal life Ponting created a childrens charity for cancer victims and spends a lot of his time and money helping others quietly in the background.

IMO a pathetic piece written poorly and lacks basic research by someone who knows little about the subject.

Anyone reading TNT's comments without having read the feature first could be forgiven for thinking that the piece is a vitriolic attack on Ponting; it's nothing of the sort. A resume of his batting feats would have been boring and pointless - everyone knows the man could bat like a god. The comparisons with the various presidents don't always work IMO, but at least provide an original viewpoint, and they are from an American perspective after all.

Every English fan that I knows admires Ponting (don't expect us to like him though, he and his mates handed out too many beatings for that), and this clearly comes through in the feature.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quite - I mean we could have just put Cameron's piece up three times but, although TNT doubtless wouldn't agree, that really isn't the point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information