• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Acceptable SR in FC cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Pollock and McGrath, for instance, almost never take wickets with good balls in certain conditions. Not to say they're not capable of doing so, but the fact is, when I've had the opportunity to watch or read about it, they haven't (and I've been keeping track for the last 3 years).
I'm sure the fact that they take a hell of a lot more wickets is just luck then?

Or is it because they are very good at building up pressure and picking up wickets?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that they pick-up wickets is (probably, anyway, we can't say for certain) due to the batsmen feeling under pressure and playing poor shots; also in some cases due to the fact that the batsmen they are bowling at aren't good enough for Test-cricket (sometimes tail-enders, sometimes bad selections); and also due to the fact that good batsmen do sometimes play poor strokes.
"Luck" is too much of a generalised term, but personally I don't credit them for any of the above.
If you wish to, that's your choice.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
"Luck" is too much of a generalised term, but personally I don't credit them for any of the above.
If you wish to, that's your choice.
Pollock and McGrath pick up a hell of a lot of wickets (which "they don't deserve credit for") even though they've done all the hard work with the accurate bowling leading up to it?

They are head and shoulders above any other pace bowler playing Test Cricket, and no side would turn either of them down for their attack.

Can you say the same about Vaas? Didn't think so.