Thread: Comparing the great fielders

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Running must have been ****, to help the course
    Nothing like modern day athleticism

Don't go chasing waterfalls

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well apparently Hobbs had that reputation at one point, after a slow start. In fact, he and Rhodes seemed to start the quick single thing, and he realised the way to stop it in the field.

I know this is just from wiki, but isn't this just the coolest pic of the master and Sutcliffe

Any Aussies seen it for real? That my friends is how you do an Empire...
    Sutcliffe is on the march to war. Brilliant photo

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    I'm wearing something similar today

They look ****ing strong too. Old school strength.
    I reckon. bet that sutcliffe fella knew how to knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So Sutcliffish it is
    I've got a Sutcliffe bio that was given to me in a bunch of old cricket stuff a friend didn't want anymore. Summertime reading!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Fred, Any West Indians in those lists.Names like Solomon,Hunte,Kanhai aven Lloyd.?
    Its not the longest list, so I'll do an SJS and type it for you - all those with 10 or more are listed

19 Hobbs
    14 Vettori
    13 Hooper, Waugh Snr
    12 Punter, Murali
    11 Harris, Harbajan, Statham. Kanhai, Harvey, Chanders, Tendulker, Dilshan
    10 Gower, Boycs, Jayasuriya, Vaas and Lloyd (Big Hubert, not Bumble!)

Selected 9s are Martyn, Gibbs (Herschelle not Lance) and Vaughan

Selected 8s Bradman, Mushtaq Ahmed, Hansie Cronje, Rhodes (Jonty), Attapattu and Dravid

Typing that lot out suggests that as a nation Sri Lankans are pretty useful fielders

19 in just 61 Tests is a sensational record for Hobbs, though no great surprise given how glowingly his fielding is described by contemporaries. Also unsurprising to see Bradman with a high percentage - again given how exceptional his groundfielding was said to be.

I was initially surprised not to see Colin Bland, though thinking about it he only played 21 Tests he would have had to effect a run-out almost every other Test to make the list!

Learie Constantine is another who would be interesting to see the numbers for - many of those who saw him in action are convinced there has never been a better all-round fieldsman.
    Last edited by The Sean; 10-12-2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post

I was initially surprised not to see Colin Bland, though thinking about it he only played 21 Tests he would have had to enacted a run-out almost every other Test to make the list!

Seven for Bland and, incidentally the way Davis figures it, one as a substitute

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I
    Typing that lot out suggests that as a nation Sri Lankans are pretty useful fielders
    Anecdotal evidence for sure but Ive played cricket for the past decade or so in teams primarily made up of players from the Subcontinent and Sri Lankans, despite being in the minority, have generally been far better fielders than those from India and Pakistan. I've never understood why the different should be so pronounced.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Seven for Bland and, incidentally the way Davis figures it, one as a substitute
    Fair enough, thanks. Better than one every three Tests if the sub run out is included - that's a superb record.

Is this the same Charles Davis who did The Best of the Best, where he attempted to standardise Test averages and then compare athletes across sports by standard deviation?
    Last edited by The Sean; 10-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Anecdotal evidence for sure but Ive played cricket for the past decade or so in teams primarily made up of players from the Subcontinent and Sri Lankans, despite being in the minority, have generally been far better fielders than those from India and Pakistan. I've never understood why the different should be so pronounced.
    In my experience, I've played my cricket almost exclusively with Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans, and I notice the same thing. Sri Lankans are just far better as fielders; as cricketers in general tbh. Don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Is this the same Charles Davis who did The Best of the Best, where he attempted to standardise Test averages and then compare athletes across sports by standard deviation?
    Sounds like my kind of bloke.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Gibbs was a gun fielder. Almost Ponting standard imo.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    At one stage the Australian one day team had Symonds, Ponting, Clarke and Brad Hogg patrolling the infield. That's gotta be formidable for a batsman trying to take a few singles!

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sounds like my kind of bloke.
    Lol I second that

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Talking of great fielders here is an off the cuff list of those one has seen and gone - oh my gaaaaawd !!

Covers
    - Pataudi Jr
    With all the diving around we seem to have forgotten what the truly great cover fielder used to be like. Pataudi would move in alongwith the bowler, hands loosly by the side, slightly bent forward, weight on the front of the feet (or so it appeared), eyes boring into the batsman. Then almost as the batsman started moving his feet for the stroke Pataudi would appear to have anticipated what the batsman was intending to play and by the time the bat met the ball, he was clearly with weight shifted to one foot or the other and body beginning to lean and move slightly off the direct line towards the batsman. It was uncanny how he was able to anticipate the shot which would then make him move like lightening and pick up the ball while running at full sprint and fling it in in the same movement. I always felt his pick up and throw in from covers was as much one piece of work and continuous motion as is any bowlers bowling action from the final step approaching the crease till the end of the follow through. By the time Pataudi had finished his follow through the momentum of his sprint and ferocious throw in would carry him far away. No he needed no diving for he picked up cleanly and on the run and rarely did he miss the ball. I have seen him play so much first class cricket and even some club cricket besides for India and do not remember the intensity to have ever been any less nor do I remember him missing the ball.

He would pick up with both hands, on the run, where this was possible even to drives scorching along the ground and use one hand when the other couldn't reach. There was no fancy showtime stuff just sheer feline grace and tiger like ferocity. He got the nickname of "Tiger" for his fielding long before he even played for his country at Hove and in other grounds in England. Cheetah or panther might have been more appropriate.

watch this space . . .

(to be continued)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information