• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comparing the great fielders

cnerd123

likes this
Look at their pants ffs

Fielding is one thing that is much, much better measured by the eye compared to statistics imo.
I really wish we could quantify it better. Like how Baseball does it. Places more emphasis and value on fielding, will make coaches/selectors appreciate it more and thus will lead to players working harder on that aspect.

From my cricket playing/following experience, Fielding is just always treated as an additional bonus to batting and bowling, yet has huge impact on matches in real time, especially at lower amateur levels. I wish that it would be treated more seriously, at an equal level to Batting, Bowling and Keeping.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty great record for Hobbs, but because there was no third umpire you can never really be sure if all of them were out.

It is on this basis that I think we can safely exclude him from these discussions.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pretty great record for Hobbs, but because there was no third umpire you can never really be sure if all of them were out.

It is on this basis that I think we can safely exclude him from these discussions.
you can then only include post 1993 or 1994 players I suppose

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I agree. I also don't think we should take any wickets bowlers took before UDRS at face value. I think that'd probably put Jimmy Anderson in all our All Time World XI sides, and rightly so.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I really wish we could quantify it better. Like how Baseball does it. Places more emphasis and value on fielding, will make coaches/selectors appreciate it more and thus will lead to players working harder on that aspect.

From my cricket playing/following experience, Fielding is just always treated as an additional bonus to batting and bowling, yet has huge impact on matches in real time, especially at lower amateur levels. I wish that it would be treated more seriously, at an equal level to Batting, Bowling and Keeping.
Baseball doesn't put the right emphasis on fielding though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well apparently Hobbs had that reputation at one point, after a slow start. In fact, he and Rhodes seemed to start the quick single thing, and he realised the way to stop it in the field.

I know this is just from wiki, but isn't this just the coolest pic of the master and Sutcliffe:wub:

Any Aussies seen it for real? That my friends is how you do an Empire...
Wow. Thanks for that. Look at that neat handwriting.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well apparently Hobbs had that reputation at one point, after a slow start. In fact, he and Rhodes seemed to start the quick single thing, and he realised the way to stop it in the field.

I know this is just from wiki, but isn't this just the coolest pic of the master and Sutcliffe:wub:

Any Aussies seen it for real? That my friends is how you do an Empire...
Sutcliffe is on the march to war. Brilliant photo

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fred, Any West Indians in those lists.Names like Solomon,Hunte,Kanhai aven Lloyd.?
Its not the longest list, so I'll do an SJS and type it for you - all those with 10 or more are listed

19 Hobbs
14 Vettori
13 Hooper, Waugh Snr
12 Punter, Murali
11 Harris, Harbajan, Statham. Kanhai, Harvey, Chanders, Tendulker, Dilshan
10 Gower, Boycs, Jayasuriya, Vaas and Lloyd (Big Hubert, not Bumble!)

Selected 9s are Martyn, Gibbs (Herschelle not Lance) and Vaughan

Selected 8s Bradman, Mushtaq Ahmed, Hansie Cronje, Rhodes (Jonty), Attapattu and Dravid

Typing that lot out suggests that as a nation Sri Lankans are pretty useful fielders

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
19 in just 61 Tests is a sensational record for Hobbs, though no great surprise given how glowingly his fielding is described by contemporaries. Also unsurprising to see Bradman with a high percentage - again given how exceptional his groundfielding was said to be.

I was initially surprised not to see Colin Bland, though thinking about it he only played 21 Tests he would have had to effect a run-out almost every other Test to make the list!

Learie Constantine is another who would be interesting to see the numbers for - many of those who saw him in action are convinced there has never been a better all-round fieldsman.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was initially surprised not to see Colin Bland, though thinking about it he only played 21 Tests he would have had to enacted a run-out almost every other Test to make the list!

Seven for Bland and, incidentally the way Davis figures it, one as a substitute

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I
Typing that lot out suggests that as a nation Sri Lankans are pretty useful fielders
Anecdotal evidence for sure but Ive played cricket for the past decade or so in teams primarily made up of players from the Subcontinent and Sri Lankans, despite being in the minority, have generally been far better fielders than those from India and Pakistan. I've never understood why the different should be so pronounced.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Seven for Bland and, incidentally the way Davis figures it, one as a substitute
Fair enough, thanks. Better than one every three Tests if the sub run out is included - that's a superb record.

Is this the same Charles Davis who did The Best of the Best, where he attempted to standardise Test averages and then compare athletes across sports by standard deviation?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Anecdotal evidence for sure but Ive played cricket for the past decade or so in teams primarily made up of players from the Subcontinent and Sri Lankans, despite being in the minority, have generally been far better fielders than those from India and Pakistan. I've never understood why the different should be so pronounced.
In my experience, I've played my cricket almost exclusively with Indians, Pakistanis and Sri Lankans, and I notice the same thing. Sri Lankans are just far better as fielders; as cricketers in general tbh. Don't know why.