• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much are tickets in India?

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Because, for a supposedly mad cricketing nation, why are the stadiums never full, always half empty?

The average indian priced out of it?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Because, for a supposedly mad cricketing nation, why are the stadiums never full, always half empty?

The average indian priced out of it?
they are always full for the forms of cricket that people there care about.

>90% of the people don't like tests

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The crowds in Kolkata are fine. The one city in India you can't criticise for poor attendance imo.

They're starting at 9am in Kolkata, that's ****ing early. Afternoon crowds have been okay.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
1) Overkill of non-stop cricket on Indian television
2) Mediocrity of Indian cricket
3) as the adage goes familiarity breeds contempt and IPL has in a way led to it.
last but not the least
it was because of one man indian grounds were full during the 90's and early part 2000..unless somebody with that x-factor comes it might remain the same, even to this day if SRT is batting 70 odd tomm there will be better crowd..

money is a non-factor nowadays

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The crowds in Kolkata are fine. The one city in India you can't criticise for poor attendance imo.

They're starting at 9am in Kolkata, that's ****ing early. Afternoon crowds have been okay.
Add in the fact that a half full Eden Gardens is still bigger than any ground in England then the crowds there have been good.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
people really have to start realizing that watching a slow type of game isn't just exciting anymore, times are different now and you can't expect full crowded stadiums day in day out, its different in countries like England and Australia where cricket is treated as more of a tradition with boxing day tests and things like that.

I've also heard that its tough to gets tickets apparently, I'd love to see more crowds as well but its just not something that you can blame the public for.

And for all the comments about empty stands and whatnot, India still makes the loudest noise out of all the countries, even when there's only a couple thousand people it almost always feels like a full house.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fans at Eden Gardens have been fantastic today. Great turnout and stayed til the end.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It seems that India are trying to spread the popularity by playing at some of the less famous grounds. TBH i think they'd be better served just trying to pack out the grounds because it looks good in tv deals and sponsorships etc.

There's also the reality that most people simply have to work.

One of my life goals is to see a test match at Eden Gardens. I doubt New Zealand will get a match there though so I may just have to settle for England, SA or Aus playing there.

Woodster

International Captain
Must admit I've been slightly surprised by the relatively sparse crowd in this Test. In a cricket-loving city of such a large population I'm amazed there isn't more people interested in Test match cricket, if the price of tickets is not a deterrent.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I can't say much for any other country, but if the grounds were bigger then for tests against the big nations I think they would still sell out* Its seen as a day out. Not just a sit and watch the game kind of day.

*perhaps not the newer grounds. Cardiff is especially bad for this, no one cares unless its the ashes.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The delirious roar of the crowd when the Indian batsmen run an easy single is one of the great wonders of cricket.
Compare to in England. If England are getting stuffed the crowd will ironically cheer every last run. Knowing we're going to lose.

In India it almost seems like they always think they still have a chance.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Its because Indian fans only watch the cricket when Indian players are doing well (unless its the IPL) Harsh but true.

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
I've been keeping up on this thread in hopes that the question posed by the thread title would actually be answered.

Anyone actually know how much tickets are to various types of cricket matches in India?