• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much are tickets in India?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its because Indian fans only watch the cricket when Indian players are doing well (unless its the IPL) Harsh but true.
Crowds weren't rocking up in 2010 when India were winning, which ****s on your theory.

biased indian

International Coach
Test cricket don't attract too much crowd unless the series is one with lot of hype...when aus was touring in their prime almost all grounds used to have good crowd

also the fact is 150-300 rs if too much for an indian when you consider they have to spend 750-1500 to watch whole five day 30-100 rs is ok price and most of the crowd will be in that stand and another thing is with most of the ground holding 40k to 75k...even a decnt crowd of 15k will look very less in indian stadiums..

cnerd123

likes this
Having a lot of cricket-watching Indian friends, I can safely say they don't really care about Test cricket.

Most of the kids my ages only watch the WCs/big tournaments + IPL.

Have more of an interest in Football or Basketball nowdays. EPL and NBA.

Test cricket is generally viewed as an old-man's kind of thing (How can you have time to watch it for 5 days? But it's soooo boring? Who can be so jobless as to play Test cricket?)

mugshot

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Havent seen any pricing on here, I still think price will be a big factor to your average Indian.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Having a lot of cricket-watching Indian friends, I can safely say they don't really care about Test cricket.

Most of the kids my ages only watch the WCs/big tournaments + IPL.

Have more of an interest in Football or Basketball nowdays. EPL and NBA.

Test cricket is generally viewed as an old-man's kind of thing (How can you have time to watch it for 5 days? But it's soooo boring? Who can be so jobless as to play Test cricket?)
So what your essentially saying is, India being a cricketing mad nation is more of a myth.

Basically my thoughts also.

I dont buy the "they only support IPL, the stadiums are big etc etc".

Australians have about 1% of the population, and have no trouble packing out the MCG for boxing day, then following it up with 30,000+ to Big Bash domestic games.....

The English regularly pack out decently sized stadiums for most of there test matches as well.......

Maybe India just aren't cricketing mad, like it's made out to be?

Sure they provide massive $$$ to the ICC, but that's more than likely just due to their population, rather than how much they love the game imo......

cnerd123

likes this
The older generation love Test cricket. It is the guys who are 21 and under who don't like it as much. Very few people around my age are passionate for cricket as a whole and follow it. The rest just care if India are doing well, and have no clue if India is playing or not unless it is against someone like Pakistan or Australia (cause the media really bigs up the Nationalistic side of things in that case, what with Sydneygate and our long-lasting love-hate relationship with the Pakis), or if we are in some major tournament like the World Cup. And then the IPL, ofcourse.

I was watching India vs. WI and India vs. NZ while they were taking place. You would be surprised by how many Indians, supposed cricket fans, saw me watching the matches and went 'Oh, I didn't even know India were playing'.

I think they would all be aware of India vs. England though, but won't be watching cause India is getting thrashed, and as such don't care about it at all. They'll say the India team sucks, and deem it unworthy of their attention, and move onto something else through which they can express their Nationalistic pride.

It's sad.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
^I'm familiar with that phenomenon.

A lot of Indians I know here in NZ are more into football, or even golf. It seems that there's a kind of backlash against cricket amongs the relatively well-off. I guess this it's kinda understandable that you might want to rail against cricket when half your national identity is based around it. How dreadfully bourgeois!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The crowds have been decent even for tests recently. You won't get the 80,000 ODI crowds, or even the IPL like crowds but say 20,000 on average per day in a test is not bad even though it may not look great in big stadiums.

A major problem with new test venues coming in has been that most of these grounds are situated outside the City due to cost and space constraints now, so crowds are lesser here compared to other venues which were traditionally located in the main population areas of the city. Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Kanpur etc.. are all venues which are located outside the City now.