Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Media stories round the world

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar

Media stories round the world

Just thought I'd start a thread looking at a couple of the media stories around the world. Apologies if there is already a thread for this.

Firstly in The Age, Dean Jones suggests now is the time for Phil Hughes to come in and consolidate his position at number three in the Aussie line-up ahead of the Ashes series'. Jones is South Australia's batting coach so will have seen Hughes very close up in the Sheffield Shield this season so is in a decent position to judge. It will be interesting to see exactly Hughes has eradicated his issues with feeding the slip cordon on a consistent basis, but his domestic form certainly impresses, currently averaging 51.80 in 10 innings.

Jones also recommends a number six berth for Shane Watson. It will allow him sufficient recovery time to enable him to throw down a few more overs, and he also has the ability to start against the second new ball and a game expansive enough to bat with the tail. I tend to agree with that and the promotion of Clarke to four.

Fight for threedom can decide Ashes

In the Mail and Guardian, the Johannesburg based read, Neil Manthorp reports on South Africa's new batting sensation Faf du Plessis, explaining his impact in Australia similar to that of JP Duminy in the previous tour there. I was massively impressed with du Plessis, having seen him in a few games over here for Lancashire he looked like he could be a useful limited overs player for SA sometime down the line, but the immediate success was indeed a surprise, but maybe not so much to those who knew more about him.

Late bloomer Faf du Plessis is pride of the Proteas | News | Sport | Mail & Guardian
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

A piece that was published a few days ago in the New Zealand Herald has Daniel Richardson suggesting that a change in New Zealand's captaincy will have little effect on the performances of the team despite the recent Test win in Sri Lanka.

He points to the lack of a genuine Test quality spinner despite Daniel Vettori's presence, the questionable selection process over the wicket-keeper and Kane Williamson's position in the side being tinkered with. With regards Williamson I can only presume the writer is talking about his position in all formats of the game because he's been a fairly constant presence at number three in the Test team in recent times. Whether his game is suited to T20 cricket, I'm not quite so sure and a focus on the longer forms may be a more sensible option.

Richardson also promotes BJ Watling for the gloves, a change that has been made ahead of the SA series.

Daniel Richardson: Changing the skipper won't solve problems - Black Caps - NZ Herald News

Osman Samiuddin is certainly one of my favourite cricket writers, in his latest piece in the National he proposes the right pathway for Umar Akmal in order for him, and subsequently Pakistan, to succeed in the next part of his development.

He raises some good and interesting points, he also suggests the responsibility to bat up the order for Pakistan would be a good thing. Personally I think number 5/6 would suit Akmal once he gets another opportunity in the Test side, and he surely is too exciting a talent not to get another chance, and fairly soon.

Although if he gets dropped again from his club side, it will not bode particularly well. He needs to develop his building of an innings and should be playing whenever possible in order to help the national side down the line. Although I do think he can help himself more than he has in recent times.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/cric...roper-guidance
    Last edited by Woodster; 10-12-2012 at 04:05 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I Liked this piece in Big Pond Sport by Adam Jones about Warne and the Ashes

Should Warne make a comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by mugshot View Post
    I Liked this piece in Big Pond Sport by Adam Jones about Warne and the Ashes

Should Warne make a comeback?
    Yes cannot imagine Australia would seriously consider selecting Warne, despite his impeccable career. Nathan Lyon's doing a decent job and really cannot see them taking him out of the side for a brief time just to allow Warne a last shot at it, would not make any sense. Especially without any meaningful cricket behind him in quite some time.

Thread Information