• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The class of mid 00's

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not that much difference between McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Bichel and MacGill and Harris, Johnson, Hazlewood, Lyon, Starc and Siddle imo.
Did you actually watch any of the series'?

Johnson might as well have been setting the ball up on a tee for all use he was, he was done as a player and the slowest wickets I've ever seen in Australia certainly didn't help. Siddle was well and truly done as well. If anything Lyon was the most dangerous of those bowlers in the series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Johnson might as well have been setting the ball up on a tee for all use he was, he was done as a player and the slowest wickets I've ever seen in Australia certainly didn't help. Siddle was well and truly done as well. If anything Lyon was the most dangerous of those bowlers in the series.

Yay... More excuses.

OverratedSanity

Nah this is pure BS. The attack obviously wasn't anywhere near as good as Warne+McGrath+Gillespie, but Johnson was not 'done'. If by 'done' you mean he wasn't taking wickets at an average of 12 then obviously, yeah. But for the most part he was bowling really well for most of the series while being slightly slower than in that crazy 2013-14 peak. It had more to do with the pitches... the one pacy pitch he got in that series, at Brisbane, he killed us.

TheJediBrah

Nah this is pure BS. The attack obviously wasn't anywhere near as good as Warne+McGrath+Gillespie, but Johnson was not 'done'. If by 'done' you mean he wasn't taking wickets at an average of 12 then obviously, yeah. But for the most part he was bowling really well for most of the series while being slightly slower than in that crazy 2013-14 peak. It had more to do with the pitches... the one pacy pitch he got in that series, at Brisbane, he killed us.
That's what I've been saying this whole time, it was 95% the pitches. Like it's been the main point of all my posts on the subject. So what do you think is "pure BS"? Apologies if I wasn't clear, but what I was trying to say, and has been said by a lot of people that the pitches that series probably hastened the end of Johnson's career.

I don't know if you watched any of the series but he hardly bowled above 130-135 for most of it. As someone watched almost the whole thing while pretending to work, I can tell you, the pitches completely ****ed him that series.

The Indian quicks deserve plenty of credit as well for how they put up with it, they had to bowl on the same pitches and if Johnson & Harris & co. had a hard time taking 20 wickets you can imagine how hard it was for Kumar/Sharma and/or whoever.

Yay... More excuses.
lol wtf are you on about this time? Do I even want to know?

TheJediBrah

I dunno mate, do you wanna make sense or continue posting like this? :p
What doesn't make sense? What "excuses" are you talking about?

You're the one not making any sense

ROFL at Johnson bowling 130-135.. Pure unadulterated non-factual rubbish.
Really don't know how to answer that . . . I literally watched almost the entire series and he rarely bowled above 135, especially in the last 2 Tests. I don't know why you think it's "rubbish" but it's clear as day that you're not going to change your mind on it, so I guess that's that then?

Gob

International Coach
His pace was definitely down in that series. Johnson was unlucky as well in occasion despite bowling well but he was nothing the train wreck he was 12 months back and i bet everything that happened leading up to that series definitely drained him.

TheJediBrah

I give him a lot of credit for sticking through that series. It would have been hard for all the fast bowlers on both sides but easily affected him the most, given his bowling style. Probably the wickets least suited to him he ever played on, even the ones in the UAE against Pakistan may have had more life.

Slifer

International Captain
Not that much difference between McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Bichel and MacGill and Harris, Johnson, Hazlewood, Lyon, Starc and Siddle imo.
No. Just no. McWarne and Co were a seasoned well oiled atg attack when Vaughan conquered them. Harris and Co were good, maybe very good but a level below. That's y what Vaughan did was so extraordinary, it hadn't been done before or after.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What doesn't make sense? What "excuses" are you talking about?

You're the one not making any sense

Really don't know how to answer that . . . I literally watched almost the entire series and he rarely bowled above 135, especially in the last 2 Tests. I don't know why you think it's "rubbish" but it's clear as day that you're not going to change your mind on it, so I guess that's that then?
I watched the entire series and was even posting about it here. You can imagine every excuse you want to, but it wont change the fact that he was bowling just as fast (maybe a click slower but I wont even bet on that). Also, I am just curious how speed of the hand for a bowler changes so much without even a single injury? I understand the wickets were flatter and perhaps took a bit more of the pace off the ball upon pitching than was usual (doubting even that but anyways) but how does it decrease the speed of the ball leaving the hand of the bowler?

His pace was definitely down in that series. Johnson was unlucky as well in occasion despite bowling well but he was nothing the train wreck he was 12 months back and i bet everything that happened leading up to that series definitely drained him.

He was bowling 145-150 but you just dont wanna acknowledge it. And FWIW, he was a mediocre test bowler except for one summer... Dont make it seem like it was Curtly Ambrose having an off series. As I said, you people just can't own up to the fact that he was not good enough that series and need to find excuses. And then we have to sit through the **** these same peeple spout about how Sachin fanbois always have an excuse for Sachin's failures. Really impressive guys... Keep it up. There can never be a game of cricket where Australia or a player from Australia is bettered that the fanbois can't find an excuse for. 8-)'

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I watched the entire series and was even posting about it here. You can imagine every excuse you want to, but it wont change the fact that he was bowling just as fast (maybe a click slower but I wont even bet on that). Also, I am just curious how speed of the hand for a bowler changes so much without even a single injury? I understand the wickets were flatter and perhaps took a bit more of the pace off the ball upon pitching than was usual (doubting even that but anyways) but how does it decrease the speed of the ball leaving the hand of the bowler?
I still have no idea what you're talking about. What "excuses"? Excuses for what? Johnson's lack of pace was a massive talking point of the series, the commentators were going on and on about it as well, even if you weren't looking at the speed gun. And you seriously think the only thing that can slow a bowler's speed is an injury?

But regardless no one really cares how fast he was bowling, so you can believe whatever you want. You can believe Johnson had 3 heads that series, I don't care. It's only marginally relevant to the discussion we were having. If you have something relevant to say other than a little tidbit of one of my posts you've decided to latch onto because you've decided it's wrong, then I'd be happy to hear about it and discuss it. If not then just go be a sociopath somewhere else.

He was bowling 145-150 but you just dont wanna acknowledge it. And FWIW, he was a mediocre test bowler except for one summer... Dont make it seem like it was Curtly Ambrose having an off series. As I said, you people just can't own up to the fact that he was not good enough that series and need to find excuses. And then we have to sit through the **** these same peeple spout about how Sachin fanbois always have an excuse for Sachin's failures. Really impressive guys... Keep it up. There can never be a game of cricket where Australia or a player from Australia is bettered that the fanbois can't find an excuse for. 8-)'
Nothing here is relevant to anything at all that's being discussed. You're fighting your own battles against imaginary people in your head dude

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I still have no idea what you're talking about. What "excuses"? Excuses for what? Johnson's lack of pace was a massive talking point of the series, the commentators were going on and on about it as well, even if you weren't looking at the speed gun. And you seriously think the only thing that can slow a bowler's speed is an injury?

But regardless no one really cares how fast he was bowling, so you can believe whatever you want. You can believe Johnson had 3 heads that series, I don't care. It's only marginally relevant to the discussion we were having. If you have something relevant to say other than a little tidbit of one of my posts you've decided to latch onto because you've decided it's wrong, then I'd be happy to hear about it and discuss it. If not then just go be a sociopath somewhere else.

Nothing here is relevant to anything at all that's being discussed. You're fighting your own battles against imaginary people in your head dude

So obviously your very first posts on the subject about how he was not fast etc etc was because you did not care about how fast he was bowling? and which commentators were going on and on about it ? You and ? Dude, you came out saying he was not bowling fast and implied it was the reason Kohli got the runs. When pointed out that it was not the reality, you have jumped to name calling and more stupid posting. Awesome.

Also, I do understand that facts are usually not relevant when discussing your posts as you seem to believe your own scripts than reality, but try not to generalize this so much. Pretty much everyone else will like to discuss what actually happened in that series, than what you want people to believe happened.

Last edited: