• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The class of mid 00's

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Other than Michael Bevan I don't think anyone else really challenges him that much. Consider that ABdV batted mostly in the middle order, which is much harder than opening or no. 3 (which are the ideal positions to bat in LO cricket). Batted a lot at the death as well and still had such a high average. Sure it gives you more not outs but you throw you're wicket away all the time.

And Bevan was a different era with very different scores being made so hard to compare.
Then Dhoni comes into the discussion too...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes when the team fails it means that the player is less when compared to other players....
May be harsh but performing in a tight semi or final will count for the players who did it. You can't say it shouldn't either as doing it when it matters most is what helps them get ATG tags anyway.

TheJediBrah

Sachin
Bevan
MSD
AB
Kohli

That's how it goes.
The only thing Sachin really has that stands out from dozens of other players around his time is how long he played for, which might be a more important factor for some people and that's fine.

For me though, I don't rate him at all in the same league as de Villiers, Bevan etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. he has done a LOT in ODIs over much longer than anyone else. I dont expect you to rate him any higher based on these facts, but they are facts.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The only thing Sachin really has that stands out from dozens of other players around his time is how long he played for, which might be a more important factor for some people and that's fine.

For me though, I don't rate him at all in the same league as de Villiers, Bevan etc.
Look at his record against Australia in 90s and 00s the best team going around at the time. If what Sachin did doesn't stand out (even after ignoring the length of time he played for), you have been watching different ODI cricket.

vcs

Hard to take someone seriously if they think Sachin isn't in the same league as De Villiers or Bevan.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
A claim can be made for Amla being an ATG in tests. Has done well everywhere and played significant knocks against most of the teams. Avgs less than 50 but he avgs poor vs weaker teams like SL and WI and also bats up the order in a difficult place like SA.

ABD is definitely an ODI ATG but dont think he is even close to Test ATG.

Cook has longevity but dont think he is technically an ATG in tests.

OverratedSanity

A claim can be made for Amla being an ATG in tests. Has done well everywhere and played significant knocks against most of the teams. Avgs less than 50 but he avgs poor vs weaker teams like SL and WI
I don't agree that that's better than averaging less vs the better teams.

vcs

My post was pretty clear, and very polite as well. It's on you if you fail to understand, and respond rudely (as per usual) in response

I'm trying to come up with reasons not to rate Sachin as highly but it's a struggle
Fair enough, at least you admit that.

vcs

Amla has a brilliant Test CV, though the recent years have tarnished the glow slightly.

I don't think that should be held as a huge negative against him, Sachin's average did dip from close to 56-57 to under 54 by the end, doesn't mean we put him below Sangakkara and Kallis.

What is impressive about Amla is he's had impressive, series-winning contributions in Australia, England and India (well, 10 balls away), tours where he absolutely dominated from start to finish. Then, he's batted No. 3 in SA, where it is always tough for top-order batsmen. I don't know where I'd put him exactly, but like Pietersen, he's probably a bit higher than people with a similar average as him (Jayawardene, Younis Khan, Clarke).