• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The class of mid 00's

Xuhaib

International Coach
These are the batsman who made their debuts in mid 2000's Cook, Amla,Clarke, Hussey, KP and AB how would they compare to the previous generations of great batsman once their career's wind up, lets say how they would stand up against Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Inzi or even the class of the 80's Border, Viv, Gooch, Miandad, Gavaskar, Crowe.

Will any of them leave a lasting memory like Viv, Lara, Sachin or Gavaskar?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
No doubt a few of them will have records up there with the best in time - most likely Clarke, Cook and Amla in that order. It's more worrying to talk about bowlers, though.

or even the class of the 80's Border, Viv, Gooch, Miandad, Gavaskar, Crowe.
Pretty sure all of those except Crowe debuted in the mid 70s.

Xuhaib

International Coach
No doubt a few of them will have records up there with the best in time - most likely Clarke, Cook and Amla in that order. It's more worrying to talk about bowlers, though.

Pretty sure all of those except Crowe debuted in the mid 70s.
yeah got my dates mixed up

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Clarke/Cook one may come down to who ends up the better captain/the one whose game longterm is least shafted by pressure of the job.

Frightening to think though that someone like Anderson is arguably our best paceman for 30 years yet he isn't fit to lace the boots of the majority of the big star bowlers of the 80's and 90's. Steyn would sit favourably among them though.

Satyanash89

Banned
These are the batsman who made their debuts in mid 2000's Cook, Amla,Clarke, Hussey, KP and AB how would they compare to the previous generations of great batsman once their career's wind up, lets say how they would stand up against Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Inzi or even the class of the 80's Border, Viv, Gooch, Miandad, Gavaskar, Crowe.

Will any of them leave a lasting memory like Viv, Lara, Sachin or Gavaskar?
No,mention of KP? He is my second favorite of the bunch after Amla... The guy single-handedly changes the course of games. Just look at this year... every hundred he's scored has been a masterclass. He's the one who's really made an impression on me by just being ****ing exciting and memorable.
Amla, KP, Cook, Clarke... only these four could probably stand favorably in comparison with former greats. This is assuming theyll continue to play at the same high level for many years to come, so its a big assumption but its the best we can do

Bowlers: Steyn. Thats all, even though i love anderson

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
The Clarke/Cook one may come down to who ends up the better captain/the one whose game longterm is least shafted by pressure of the job.

Frightening to think though that someone like Anderson is arguably our best paceman for 30 years yet he isn't fit to lace the boots of the majority of the big star bowlers of the 80's and 90's. Steyn would sit favourably among them though
so true

SeamUp

International Coach
To Satyanash above, KP is mentioned.

I would say Graeme Smith as an opener and averaging 50 for his whole career with a strike-rate of 60 and being captain for 10 years should be right up there. Considering he opens in the majority of matches in South Africa (the most difficult place to open in the world). 26 Test centuries - 18 wins - 8 draws

Its so tough to judge how good these batsmen will be as the reminder keeps coming in that there is a shortage of world class fast bowlers and you can say the same for spinners. But in saying that all those batsmen are class and who is to say they wouldn't score runs against the real best of previous era's as well.

Its always so difficult to judge different era's of course but its an interesting perspective because I haven't really bunched the early to mid 00's batting group before.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
KP has already left plenty of lasting memories for mine. He's the only real genius-level batsman going around. The rest are extremely good but not in the same league as the previous generation's top 3-4.

Satyanash89

Banned
To Satyanash above, KP is mentioned.

I would say Graeme Smith as an opener and averaging 50 for his whole career with a strike-rate of 60 and being captain for 10 years should be right up there. Considering he opens in the majority of matches in South Africa (the most difficult place to open in the world).
whoops... somehow missed kp in ur post :p

Would put smith there but he debuted way before thr others

SeamUp

International Coach
whoops... somehow missed kp in ur post :p

Would put smith there but he debuted way before thr others
No worries mate.

Thought Pup and Biff were the same age as they went to the same u19 WC ? So would have debuted more or lesss the same time.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Hashim has the making of a real great..has so much time and looks absolutely classy..this decades best player? Hope so..if we are taking of 2k batters got to bring pitches to the equation as well..

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Amla is just a superb player.

The stats of the players you mention may stack up in the end but I am struggling to think they will live long in the memory a la Lara, Sachin et al. Or AB, Richards and that lot.

Maybe they will, mind.

L Trumper

State Regular
Great set of batsmen 6 of them:
Smith, Amla, ABDV, KP, Cook, Clarke : I think they all might end up with 10000+ runs and round about 50 avg.
Too bad about the bowling though only Steyn is undeniably great. Jimmy might get 350 wickets but still be averaging around 30.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
This decade so far belongs to Clarke, Cook and Amla.

To think Cook was about to be dropped after the Pakistan controversial series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He wasn't 'about' to be dropped. The media speculated he was under pressure. Whether he actually was, only insiders could tell you. I'd personally say he was always going to play in The Ashes, he'd stood in for Strauss in Bangladesh, I don't think Carberry made the squad (happy to be corrected on this) which meant that, of the batsmen other than Strauss & Cook, only Ian Bell had any (Test) opening experience, which was two low scores when standing in for Strauss away to India in 06.

Don't get me wrong, your general point is spot on; his turnaround in form has been sensational. But a bit of revisionism/creativity happens when it comes to whether his place was actually under threat back then.