Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The class of mid 00's

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yeah odd time to doubt Amla's attacking ability. 99 in a session!
    yeah....some innings was that one
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Hasn't Clarke suffered from a dodgy back in the past? Which presumably has resolved itself

If so I'd like the contact details of his osteopath - my back held back my batting career too, and my bowling come to that
    Is dealing with his sore back aws actually Tangy. Missed a t20 game tonight because of it, or so we were told.

Probably a result of shaggers back though. As yours is too, no doubt.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 08-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Kevin Pietersen is the only 'special' batsman for this decade. I am pretty sure in future many of his knocks would be right up there with the special knocks played by Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting.

Amla - getting there.. I think people would talk about him the way we talk about Dravid today..

Cook - a run machine.. I am pretty sure he will end up as England's highest run scorer for all time..I think he will be remembered like an Allan Border kind of player..he will score tons of runs and centuries...but when it comes to the truly outstanding batsmen of this era, I don't think his name will be up there simply because of the way he plays..

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Cook - a run machine.. I am pretty sure he will end up as England's highest run scorer for all time..I think he will be remembered like an Allan Border kind of player..he will score tons of runs and centuries...but when it comes to the truly outstanding batsmen of this era, I don't think his name will be up there simply because of the way he plays..
    Ok, I've had Christmas drinks tonight and I'm hammered so I'll be the guy who bites. Do you genuinely not consider AB to be one of the truly outstanding batsmen of his era? And if not, who do you think was?
    Last edited by The Sean; 12-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Ok, I've had Christmas drinks tonight and I'm hammered so I'll be the guy who bites. Do you genuinely not consider AB to be one of the truly outstanding batsmen of his era? And if not, who do you think was?
    V.Richards, B.Richards, G.Chappell, Gavaskar, Boycott.

I guess his anology is similar to G.Chappell vs Border, as the Pietersen vs Cook.

One might slightly overshadow the other in time.

Given his record, I cannot but consider him as an oustanding world class batsman..

Not to undermine stats and records but there are a few other areas I appreciate and like to see other than pure stats...among them being aesthetics, style, attitude, temperament, courage etc..which is why I rate someone who barely has 8000 test runs and barely averages 50 and whose tally of hundreds are overtaken by the likes of Mahelas as the greatest of them all.

Honestly I have been quite perplexed that Australians generally pick Border over Ponting in their all Time XI.. Its sad people just remember Ponting's last 2 years just because its recent.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 12-12-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Honestly I have been quite perplexed that Australians generally pick Border over Ponting in their all Time XI.. Its sad people just remember Ponting's last 2 years just because its recent.
    It is also because Ponting came in at number 3 for most of his career and so he is competing with the king of all batsmen. Also at 4 you have G Chappell so where do you fit Ponting?

Border down and 5/6 doesn't have such strong competition

Quote Originally Posted by sphynx View Post
    V.Richards, B.Richards, G.Chappell, Gavaskar, Boycott.

I guess his anology is similar to G.Chappell vs Border, as the Pietersen vs Cook.

One might slightly overshadow the other in time.
    Boycott is 15 years older than AB, and Barry Richards is ten. I don't consider them the same generation, nor for that matter do I consider Boycott even close to as good as Border.

Given his record, I cannot but consider him as an oustanding world class batsman..

Not to undermine stats and records but there are a few other areas I appreciate and like to see other than pure stats...among them being aesthetics, style, attitude, temperament, courage etc..which is why I rate someone who barely has 8000 test runs and barely averages 50 and whose tally of hundreds are overtaken by the likes of Mahelas as the greatest of them all.

So if I'm reading that right - are you seriously questioning Border's attitude, temperament and courage?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I don't think Carberry made the squad (happy to be corrected on this) which meant that, of the batsmen other than Strauss & Cook, only Ian Bell had any (Test) opening experience, which was two low scores when standing in for Strauss away to India in 06.
    Didn't Trott open in Bangladesh before the Ashes? Minor point but yeah.

I do think he was perhaps a little closer to being dropped than you're putting across, too. There were members of this forum who weren't pick him in their touring parties to Australia and while he was probably going to play the whole Ashes regardless, he was definitely getting the chop afterwards if he failed and he may have been replaced on the tour if the series was close and he was looking particularly poor. "About to be dropped if he didn't make a score in the series" just about sums it up for me.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah Trott did open that one Test, good point.

He might have been dropped during the series had his miseries continued but I don't personally believe they ever considered seriously not playing him in the 1st Ashes Test. I think he was always going to get that series.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Up until his ton at the Oval against Pakistan, Cook was definitely in a "hmm, we might need to think about replacing this guy" trough of form. He'd been **** all summer, fairly arse against the Aussies in 2009 and hadn't scored a Test century at all in 2008.

Had a good tour of SA in 2009/10 though.

It was actually his ton in Durban that made me stick with him, as he'd been woefully out of nick and was against a good attack but still managed to eke out a hundred anyway.

SS1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    No doubt, Cook was on the verge of being dropped. He absolutely was so. Thankfully he got a score and he wasn't.

I honestly think this fella could break cricketing records and I mean Tendulkar style. He is insatiable for runs and he has relatively few weaknesses. Once he's in, he goes absolutely massive. He'll score 350 one day I don't doubt. Doesn't play outside his areas at all and is reliable for at least one score every Test.

Boycott is 15 years older than AB, and Barry Richards is ten. I don't consider them the same generation, nor for that matter do I consider Boycott even close to as good as Border.

So if I'm reading that right - are you seriously questioning Border's attitude, temperament and courage?
    No, I just think there were a few other blokes who were better! Why do people only understand things in extremes? Never said Border turned into a cringing coward at the sight of a fast bowler! You know in between Donald Bradman and Marcus North is the realm where vast majority of great batsmen in the world exist.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    It is also because Ponting came in at number 3 for most of his career and so he is competing with the king of all batsmen. Also at 4 you have G Chappell so where do you fit Ponting?

Border down and 5/6 doesn't have such strong competition
    Well if Tendulkar can bat at number 6 in the All Time World XI, then Ponting can bat at 5 for Australia XI...plus All Time XI teams are never actually going to play cricket..but to have an Australian XI without Ponting is quite perplexing to me.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 13-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.

I find the assertion that you'll find batsmen higher on the "courage/attitude" scale than Border very hard to believe. That's basically what defined him as a batsman.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information