• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

High Correlation between India's Performance and Team Managers - Coincidental?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's weird because I don't believe Managers should have too big influence in the International cricket arena logically. But it's very shocking to see the correlation our results have to the managers of our National team in the recent past. And I am not talking about Test Cricket alone, it's very evident in ODI arena as well. Don't know what causes it, as I would like to believe there's more to the story than changing managers. But the correlations are staggering -

John Wright - Very Successful (Success in Tests away from home and reaching the World Cup finals, becoming the only side to somewhat threaten the mighty Aussies in both formats consistently)

Greg Chappell - Unsuccessful (though not nearly as much as Wright he had moderate success in Test matches, but India suddenly became pathetic in ODIs including the World Cup first round exit)

Gary Kirsten - Super Successful (India's no. 1 ranking in Tests; World Cup win; Tendulkar, Zaheer, Sehwag and Laxman's super-resurgence in form -- enough said)

Duncan Fletcher - Utterly Unsuccessful thus far (0-8 and pathetic show in the ongoing home series by India's standards - enough said)

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems clear that India haven't bought into the Fletcher way of thinking. Where do they go from here though?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Most of Wright and Kirsten's success can be attributed to a bunch of players hitting their collective peaks at the same time. Off field strategy can only count for so much if your eleven on the park can't execute plans you lay out for them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Things like team culture etc. are sort of the coach's job to enforce, though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Most of Wright and Kirsten's success can be attributed to a bunch of players hitting their collective peaks at the same time. Off field strategy can only count for so much if your eleven on the park can't execute plans you lay out for them.
But can't a lot of those 'hitting their collective peaks' be attributed to Managers, and how they looked after individual talents?

Tendulkar, for example, has thanked Kirsten numerous times for the hour-long throwdowns day-after-day during his 2008-10 super-resurgence in form.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Things like team culture etc. are sort of the coach's job to enforce, though.
Fletcher was always going to be a bad fit because, personality wise, he's a bit of a control freak and has some very set ideas about how things should go (loves the forward press, bowlers must be able to bowl 85mph+, spinners must bat, etc) and behaves like a sulky child when things don't go his own way.

If what's commonly acknowledged about certain senior players largely calling the shots for the Indian national side is true there was always going to be friction if they didn't buy in.

&, judging by the fielding with Penney (one of the very best fielding coaches) in situ, it's a fair guess they haven't.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I think there's only so much Fletcher or any coach can do if the BCCI keep picking players on so-called reputation rather than actual merit/performance.

Having said that though, can't help but think that if India do actually pick some young players they might be better off getting a younger, coach who wis more willing to be involved.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The player management system here in this team is dreadful, if you look at the mounting player losses over time- players are either lost forever or just not as good as when they started out. It's not about one or two blokes, but an entire batch- many of whom could make a difference, but sadly, their replacements are simply not up to scratch.

A classic case is Amit Mishra, who had a dreadful Test in A'bad and was declared an extra ever since, and never recovered, and had a dreadful tour of England. He's now no longer in the frame for national selection, while the replacements, both Ojha and Ashwin, are shown up to be way below international standard a lot sooner- and they were picked a little ahead of their time anyway. They haven't found a replacement for Irfan Pathan and it has offset the balance of the side and weakened the bowling. They're only stuck with Ishant Sharma because that replacement, Dinda, is utter rubbish. No effort has been made to help Varun Aaron return to full fitness. They're now trying to phase out Sehwag and Gambhir with lesser replacements.

The losses keep mounting, and staying in the hunt for the top of the rankings will be impossible if these losses are not just stemmed, but reversed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It took Fletcher to basically have a side that had debuted under his reign, plus a couple of extras, for him to mould them into a top few outfit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously you haven't read his book because every side he went to he made better.

Either that or he's a tool.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, I read his book, paid two quid for it in a charity shop in Oldham, and then donated the book right back after I'd finished it.

Was the only good to ever come from the book.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha.I actually found it an interesting read but my opinion of him lowered with every page.

I read his Ashes Regained book when he was still coach and was alarmed by some of his quotes in that but the autobio...oh my.

Not helped by me being a massive Freddie fanboy, of course. ****'s CV only became noteworthy thanks to Freddie anyway. Wanker.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Found it massively entertaining, actually. Read it in two or three sittings. Car crash lit.

Guy has a massive, massive ego and is literally never wrong about anything ever. Still think Steve James might not be such a good mate as Fletcher thinks he is because James is a very clever fella and must've not been unaware quite what a **** Big Dunc was making himself sound.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of critics of this Indian team repeat, "sack the stars, save Team India"- but under the Fletcher regime, you've had three stars and one old non-star hand phased out- Dravid and Laxman retired, while Harbhajan and Mishra were thrown out. You had Pujara, Kohli, Ojha and Ashwin inducted- and all of them bar Pujara (under no pressure) have failed, and their failures have affected the team badly- the spin duo have been very poor in this series and handed two games on a platter. Kohli's form has had a dramatic reversal, and Pujara hasn't been as impressive under pressure of a first-innings deficit.

Just how much of a positive change can bringing in more youngsters make? Instead, the management should work on restoring the drooping form of the best players. Merely dropping the droops won't help when they're your best blokes. We've seen better from off-colour Kumble/Harbhajan/Kartik than we have of Ashwin/Ojha, and already we're talking of dropping a youngster (and a productive one) so soon. Surely, the management is at fault? When so many players, including the best ones, are failing, the responsibility lies with the management.

I don't buy the BCCI-gives-no-room excuse so easily. Other coaches managed well despite it, with the exception of Greg Chappell, who wanted fit athletes, but was forced to make do with stodgy geriatrics drafted by Dilip Vengsarkar, then Chief Selector. Even Chandu Borde and Lalchand Rajput have big trophies against their name- these blokes, with the least opposition to the BCCI, won an away Test series in England, the first World T20, and a triangular ODI series in Australia. Fletcher can't even win at home.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't like Fletcher's appointment at the time, and though it's harsh to blame him for all the problems the team has had since his appointment it's fair to say he has added not much unlike Kirsten who clearly did.

Will probably be sacked alongside Dhoni if India lose the 3rd test too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Didn't like Fletcher's appointment at the time, and though it's harsh to blame him for all the problems the team has had since his appointment it's fair to say he has added not much unlike Kirsten who clearly did.

Will probably be sacked alongside Dhoni if India lose the 3rd test too.
you mean the 4th one?

needs to be sacked IMO