• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

High Correlation between India's Performance and Team Managers - Coincidental?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I don't think coaches play a very big role in individual matches or series..I think Fletcher was a bad choice for India....

A coach's role is to groom players..develop their already existing skills..manage their work load, training, fitness.. I don't think you can blame Fletcher the last 1 year though..lot of factors like work load and poor fitness levels of senior players are beyond his control.

Bangladesh have just won a series against an established side and they don't even have a proper full time coach but the development of players like Tamim, Shakib, Rahim, Mahmudullah..you have to attribute that to Jamie Siddons..

So on that point, I don't think Fletcher has a lot to give to the Pujaras, Kohlis, and Sharmas in India which they already don't have.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think BCCI has enough money to pay Kirsten probably 5 times of what he was getting previously.

Wouldn't be a bad investment and Kirsten probably will find it hard to turn down that kind of money

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It took Fletcher to basically have a side that had debuted under his reign, plus a couple of extras, for him to mould them into a top few outfit.
I was going to post something along these lines.

IIRC of our Ashes winning XI (12 if you count Collingwood) in 2005, I think only Flintoff had actually played cricket in the 1990s.

edit: wait, that can't be right, Vaughan debuted in South Africa in 1999.

The nucleus of the England side from around 2004 until pretty much now is full of players identified and given debuts by Fletcher, even if it's taken a change of coach for some of them (particularly Anderson and Swann) to really flourish at international level.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think BCCI has enough money to pay Kirsten probably 5 times of what he was getting previously.

Wouldn't be a bad investment and Kirsten probably will find it hard to turn down that kind of money
Was half kidding tbh.

Would be bit of a knee jerk move, and sequels some times don't work as well as the original.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

I doubt it.

He basically has his dream job right now and has been able to pawn off the t20 coaching to his assistant. In other words, he's in a position where he can do whatever he wants.

Money doesn't mean that much to some people.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not Ganguly or Kumble for coach? Both are recently-retired players, and given the success of Kirsten, Flower and (at a lower level) Fleming, one of them should definitely be in the running.

smash84

The Tiger King
do you think Ganguly would go down well as a coach.....seemed to be much more of a kind of guy who butt in to everything. Will the players like that?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
At the very least, Ganguly is close to his players, unlike these foreign coaches who are quite disconnected. He's also close to the domestic scene. A real criticism, though, would be that he's a typical 'play with pride' coach, like most Indian/Pakistani hockey coaches.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why not Ganguly or Kumble for coach? Both are recently-retired players, and given the success of Kirsten, Flower and (at a lower level) Fleming, one of them should definitely be in the running.
India's problem is in our administration, not coaching. Kumble should do what he's doing, pursue a career in cricket administration and eventually climb the ladder to being influential in the BCCI.

Maybe he'll be just as **** as the other BCCI peeps, but maybe not. Generally been well received in Karnataka since 2008.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
India's problem is in our administration, not coaching. Kumble should do what he's doing, pursue a career in cricket administration and eventually climb the ladder to being influential in the BCCI.

Maybe he'll be just as **** as the other BCCI peeps, but maybe not. Generally been well received in Karnataka since 2008.
India's team isn't poor- at least not from the start. It has been ruined by poor management, losing not just matches but also players. The coach has been found wanting here. We can't keep blaming the administration for poor performance, poor fitness and eventually player losses. They can't be held responsible if the best players their system sends up are not doing so well.

While Kumble will have his hands full as an administrator, the idea of a coach (preferably Indian, or Chaminda Vaas or Stephen Fleming) who is a recently-retired player will be very beneficial.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At the very least, Ganguly is close to his players, unlike these foreign coaches who are quite disconnected. He's also close to the domestic scene. A real criticism, though, would be that he's a typical 'play with pride' coach, like most Indian/Pakistani hockey coaches.
Why is that a criticism?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming is definitely a good shout, he has worked with Dhoni and some of the Indian players in IPL, and with the WC down under he could be really helpful.

That said I think he did decline when casually asked in an interview once, and really after India's atrocious run I don't think anyone wants to be a coach lol.

smash84

The Tiger King
Fleming is definitely a good shout, he has worked with Dhoni and some of the Indian players in IPL, and with the WC down under he could be really helpful.

That said I think he did decline when casually asked in an interview once, and really after India's atrocious run I don't think anyone wants to be a coach lol
lol....although some might argue that it may be the best time to be coach. It seems Indian cricket can't go anywhere but up

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No more CSK connection please. :)

And also Fleming declined last time before Fletcher was appointed iirc due to not being available full time.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think foreign or local coach makes much of a difference to be honest..India's best peak came under Wright and Kirsten...India's lowest ebb was reached under Kapil Dev if I remember correctly in 2000.