Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Correlation between India's Performance and Team Managers - Coincidental?

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Things like team culture etc. are sort of the coach's job to enforce, though.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    No one said it had to be a positive team culture.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

A lot of critics of this Indian team repeat, "sack the stars, save Team India"- but under the Fletcher regime, you've had three stars and one old non-star hand phased out- Dravid and Laxman retired, while Harbhajan and Mishra were thrown out. You had Pujara, Kohli, Ojha and Ashwin inducted- and all of them bar Pujara (under no pressure) have failed, and their failures have affected the team badly- the spin duo have been very poor in this series and handed two games on a platter. Kohli's form has had a dramatic reversal, and Pujara hasn't been as impressive under pressure of a first-innings deficit.

Just how much of a positive change can bringing in more youngsters make? Instead, the management should work on restoring the drooping form of the best players. Merely dropping the droops won't help when they're your best blokes. We've seen better from off-colour Kumble/Harbhajan/Kartik than we have of Ashwin/Ojha, and already we're talking of dropping a youngster (and a productive one) so soon. Surely, the management is at fault? When so many players, including the best ones, are failing, the responsibility lies with the management.

I don't buy the BCCI-gives-no-room excuse so easily. Other coaches managed well despite it, with the exception of Greg Chappell, who wanted fit athletes, but was forced to make do with stodgy geriatrics drafted by Dilip Vengsarkar, then Chief Selector. Even Chandu Borde and Lalchand Rajput have big trophies against their name- these blokes, with the least opposition to the BCCI, won an away Test series in England, the first World T20, and a triangular ODI series in Australia. Fletcher can't even win at home.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Simon Champion!
    Didn't like Fletcher's appointment at the time, and though it's harsh to blame him for all the problems the team has had since his appointment it's fair to say he has added not much unlike Kirsten who clearly did.

Will probably be sacked alongside Dhoni if India lose the 3rd test too.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Didn't like Fletcher's appointment at the time, and though it's harsh to blame him for all the problems the team has had since his appointment it's fair to say he has added not much unlike Kirsten who clearly did.

Will probably be sacked alongside Dhoni if India lose the 3rd test too.
    you mean the 4th one?

needs to be sacked IMO
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Although I don't think coaches play a very big role in individual matches or series..I think Fletcher was a bad choice for India....

A coach's role is to groom players..develop their already existing skills..manage their work load, training, fitness.. I don't think you can blame Fletcher the last 1 year though..lot of factors like work load and poor fitness levels of senior players are beyond his control.

Bangladesh have just won a series against an established side and they don't even have a proper full time coach but the development of players like Tamim, Shakib, Rahim, Mahmudullah..you have to attribute that to Jamie Siddons..

So on that point, I don't think Fletcher has a lot to give to the Pujaras, Kohlis, and Sharmas in India which they already don't have.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    India need a real hardass coach imo.

Simon Champion!
    Double his wages to get Kirsten back, imo.

I think BCCI has enough money to pay Kirsten probably 5 times of what he was getting previously.

Wouldn't be a bad investment and Kirsten probably will find it hard to turn down that kind of money

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    It took Fletcher to basically have a side that had debuted under his reign, plus a couple of extras, for him to mould them into a top few outfit.
    I was going to post something along these lines.

IIRC of our Ashes winning XI (12 if you count Collingwood) in 2005, I think only Flintoff had actually played cricket in the 1990s.

edit: wait, that can't be right, Vaughan debuted in South Africa in 1999.

The nucleus of the England side from around 2004 until pretty much now is full of players identified and given debuts by Fletcher, even if it's taken a change of coach for some of them (particularly Anderson and Swann) to really flourish at international level.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    India need a real hardass coach imo.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think BCCI has enough money to pay Kirsten probably 5 times of what he was getting previously.

Wouldn't be a bad investment and Kirsten probably will find it hard to turn down that kind of money
    Was half kidding tbh.

Would be bit of a knee jerk move, and sequels some times don't work as well as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Was half kidding tbh.

Would be bit of a knee jerk move, and sequels some times don't work as well as the original.
    and sometimes they work even better than the original, Einstein

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    Greg Chappell to return and drag this awful team from the dumps back to the top imo... would be some story

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

I doubt it.

He basically has his dream job right now and has been able to pawn off the t20 coaching to his assistant. In other words, he's in a position where he can do whatever he wants.

Money doesn't mean that much to some people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information