• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

James

Cricket Web Owner
Tue Dec 18
South African Invitation XI v New Zealanders
City Oval, Pietermaritzburg

Fri Dec 21
1st T20I - South Africa v New Zealand
Kingsmead, Durban

Sun Dec 23
2nd T20I - South Africa v New Zealand
Buffalo Park, East London

Wed Dec 26
3rd T20I - South Africa v New Zealand
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

Fri Dec 28 - Sun Dec 30
South African Invitation XI v New Zealanders
Boland Park, Paarl

Wed Jan 2 - Sun Jan 6
1st Test - South Africa v New Zealand
Newlands, Cape Town

Fri Jan 11 - Tue Jan 15
2nd Test - South Africa v New Zealand
St George's Park, Port Elizabeth

Sat Jan 19
1st ODI - South Africa v New Zealand
Boland Park, Paarl

Tue Jan 22
2nd ODI - South Africa v New Zealand
De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley

Fri Jan 25
3rd ODI - South Africa v New Zealand
Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Flem274*

123/5
Squadz

20/20

Brendon McCullum (c): Otago Volts
Corey Anderson: Northern Knights
Trent Boult: Northern Knights
Doug Bracewell: Central Stags
Derek de Boorder: Otago Volts
James Franklin: Wellington Firebirds
Peter Fulton: Canterbury Wizards
Martin Guptill: Auckland Aces
Ronnie Hira: Canterbury Wizards
Nathan McCullum: Otago Volts
Mitchell McClenaghan: Auckland Aces
Adam Milne: Central Stags
Colin Munro: Auckland Aces
Jimmy Neesham: Otago Volts
Rob Nicol: Canterbury Wizards

Tests

Dean Brownlie: Canterbury Wizards
Daniel Flynn: Northern Knights
Chris Martin: Auckland Aces
Bruce Martin: Auckland Aces
Jeetan Patel: Wellington Firebirds
Kane Williamson: Northern Knights
Tim Southee: Northern Knights
Neil Wagner: Otago Volts
BJ Watling: Northern Knights

They're a bit ****ed itbt. Can bowl, not sure who will score the runs.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Squadz

20/20

Corey Anderson: Northern Knights
Derek de Boorder: Otago Volts
Ronnie Hira: Canterbury Wizards
Nathan McCullum: Otago Volts
Mitchell McClenaghan: Auckland Aces
Adam Milne: Central Stags
Colin Munro: Auckland Aces
Jimmy Neesham: Otago Volts
Rob Nicol: Canterbury Wizards

Tests

Dean Brownlie: Canterbury Wizards
Daniel Flynn: Northern Knights
Chris Martin: Auckland Aces
Bruce Martin: Auckland Aces
Jeetan Patel: Wellington Firebirds
Kane Williamson: Northern Knights
Tim Southee: Northern Knights
Neil Wagner: Otago Volts
BJ Watling: Northern Knights

They're a bit ****ed itbt. Can bowl, not sure who will score the runs.
Southoe and Boult maybe Kane Bradman

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
So we're backing a bunch of largely untested young blokes (even at domestic level itbt) to score our middle order runs in the T20s. In South Africa. That's interesting.

Flem274*

123/5
So we're backing a bunch of largely untested young blokes (even at domestic level itbt) to score our middle order runs in the T20s. In South Africa. That's interesting.
I think they're not sure who they want their ODI allrounder to be so they're going to put them in the hot seat and see who swims.

Flem274*

123/5
Tim Southee and Jacob Oram were not considered for T20 selection due to the pending birth of their children
itstl. Never knew Southee was going to be a dad. If that's not a typo, all the best to him.

Mike5181

International Captain
I think they're not sure who they want their ODI allrounder to be so they're going to put them in the hot seat and see who swims.
I don't mind the young guys being tested tbh. We will learn more from them playing against South Africa than our domestic bowlers, even if it is just T20.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I guess another way of looking at this is that maybe Hesson is really keen to stamp his own mark on this team and is prepared to sacrifice some results for it in the short term. Obviously he screwed up with the way the Taylor thing has gone but these teams have players who we all expected to make it eventually, even if not this soon.

We know Taylor will come back to the team eventually, so here's a chance to find our long term no 5 out of Brownlie, Flynn, Franko, Fulton etc.

As Phlegm said, we need an ODI all rounder so let's so who goes best out of Anderson, Neesh and Munro.

The selection of de Boorder, which seems pretty unjustified based on his T20 record, indicates he's a player they like the look of so here's a chance for him to prove himself.

Blain

U19 Captain
Oram didint play CDs last game for personal reasons of some sort, sounds like he isnt going to play tonight because he is a bit under the weather, and isnt going to SA cos of a birth. Sounds like he on an extended paid holiday to me.

JUST RETIRE MAN!!

god I have no faith in NZ Cricket anymore, and I'm the one who sticks up for them.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Very exciting T20 squad - Anderson has looked likely ever since he arrived on the scene as a 16 year old, but has been hampered by injuries. I think he could become a superstar. Munro deserves a go after big hitting exploits in T20 and outstanding FC form. Neesham seems to have developed really well since moving to Otago for more opportunities.

I didn't realise Derek de Boorder was so close for T20. I knew he was highly rated for his glovework, and managed a six off the first ball he faced to win a game last season.

HRV Cup 2011-12: de Boorder last-ball six gives Otago thriller | HRV Cup 2011-12 Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Warm up games!!!! We might actually have a chance. Oh thats right.

I can see whats going to happen here, Watling is going to bat 6 and Franklin at 7.
If we had Jesse, we would have enough part time bowling to be able to manage only 4 bowlers, meaning we could play 7 batters. Sadly doesn't look like that will ever happen and any possible test standard all-rounder needs a couple more years of development.

DeBorder and/or Ronchi ( i know everyone hates him, but we need the strongest batting line up we can get without the captain) needs to be in Test Team, and Latham needs to be in the LO sides, he has the shots to succeed as a lower order batsmen so needs to be given more chances.

The T20 team looks stronger, but really lacks players with match-winning potential, i dont see anyone except McCullum going big. We also lack economical bowlers, imo we need to develop a seperate bowling unit for this format, as over the long term T20 will ruin bowlers lines and lengths.

just my 2 cents.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Things are bad when you recall two metre Peter. Good to see Watling back, like the look of him but you fear for NZ in this series against a very very good SA side.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Guptill? I think the pitches over there should suit him.
yeah i thought about him, six months ago i would have agreed with you, but he looks really ugly atm. Seems to lose all his technique when hes attacking the ball, and isn't reading movement that well. He needs another county series and some good coaching to get his act back together.
Still i expect some big sixes over mid-on/off from him

jcas0167

International Debutant
yeah i thought about him, six months ago i would have agreed with you, but he looks really ugly atm. Seems to lose all his technique when hes attacking the ball, and isn't reading movement that well. He needs another county series and some good coaching to get his act back together.
Still i expect some big sixes over mid-on/off from him
True, hopefully he gets some form playing for the Sydney Sixers this weekend.

Chubb

International Regular
See some logic in Fulton selection. He likes hard pitches and is in good form. Whether that is enough to overcome the reasons for his many failures, I don't know.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Are we screwed in the Tests or what?

New Zealands best batsman average: Brendon McCullum - 35.63
South Africas worst batsman average: Jacques Rudolph - 35.43

Wish Taylor and Ryder would just play.