• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What's the record in Test Cricket for the biggest lead by the team batting second after day 1 of the match? I know its quite an ambiguous question, but I would be interested and think SA are well on the way to achieving the record.
Possibly the Zim match from 05 at this ground. Zim were rolled out for 50 odd and South Africa closed with 300+ on the board.

smash84

The Tiger King
Slightly OT, but just thinking a combined SA/Eng Test side would surely smash a 'Rest of the World XI" at the moment.

Tough side to select.
Probably not.....The SA team might actually suffer with the injection of English players in it

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you combine two of the three best sides in the world at any given time chances are they'd beat a ROW XI.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson for Morkel too, I guess, even though it's still close.
Yeah, I guess. Included Morkel because I figured Steyn and Anderson have virtually identical bowling styles, whereas Morkel creates a point of difference. But Anderson is probably the right choice.

Teja.

Global Moderator
FMD, NZ have given Amla 20% of his runs and more than that % of their own total in misfields today.

Terrible stuff.

smash84

The Tiger King
No chance mate.
of course there is....the same English side that you want to incorporate with SA were bundled out for some pretty paltry scores in UAE. With the tracks taking a bit of spin Ajmal and Rehman can again wreak havoc and the Aussie pace attack can be bowled in short bursts.

And SA were outplayed in 2 of the 3 tests recently as benchmark just reminded

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nice team, although might as well select de Villiers as the keeper and include Anderson as the 4th bowler.

Either way that side would murder a ROW side atm.
Definitely take Anderson over Morkel and making de Villiers keep is ludicrous when you then leave out the best keeper-batsman in the world.

Satyanash89

Banned
Actually a combined Aus-Pak would probably thrash a combined Eng-SA in UAE :p
no way... Kallis and Amla are magnificent against spin. So are Cook and Prior. Plus, KP has the ability to pull a bunch of rabbits out of a hat on any pitch, like he's shown on numerous occasions this year.

Teja.

Global Moderator
of course there is....the same English side that you want to incorporate with SA were bundled out for some pretty paltry scores in UAE. With the tracks taking a bit of spin Ajmal and Rehman can again wreak havoc and the Aussie pace attack can be bowled in short bursts.
You do realize that Cook, Prior and possibly KP will be the only batsman from the 'same English side' that will be in the combined side right?

Not a chance in hell. Especially 'thrash'. :laugh:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** this NZ team is horrible. They talk about doing the basics well.... This is an example of doing the basics very ****ly, if at all.