Cricket Player Manager
Page 8 of 284 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

  1. #106
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    What's with all the Vincent love? He hasn't scored a FC ton in years and is in his mid 30s. Considering his technique is very reliant on his eye and he isn't scoring runs at his age, it suggests in the whites his decline is terminal. Fulton probably shouldn't be there but he should be there before Lou Vincent.
    He hadn't played FC cricket before now in years tbf. So he's got to get back playing at a good level for 4+ day cricket.

    If you look at his Test career, he was dropped on form once after the Pakistan 03 series, after scoring 8, 4, 0 and 4 in the 2 Tests. Although, in the two test innings prior to that in India he scored 67 & 106. He was recalled to the side to play a middle order role vs Australia and performed solidly enough to keep his spot and score a double tonne vs Sri Lanka. Then went to Zimbabwe as an opener and scored 13 & 92. When he got back to NZ he voiced his displeasure at being forced to open, after cracking it where he was used to batting pre-Tests (i.e. middle order). So, he was left out because of that and not on a question of form. Then he managed to get called up as an injury replacement in SA 2007, not disgracing himself in a first innings where Cumming's 48 was our best score, then had to open in the 2nd due to Cumming's injury. Unsurprisingly, he never got another game.

    Basically, he should've played more than he should. I don't think because of those things does he deserve a shot now, but he could play again if he were to get back into form. For all his weaknesses he's shown he can handle Test cricket, and since he's opening for Auckland I guess he thinks thats where his best bet is.

    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    I have the same problem remembering these things - looked up and it was around 09/10 he was back. One of his comments was:

    nuff said
    He's always been someone who's been frustrated by bull**** and mismanagement, which as we've seen this week, NZC produces a lot of. His comments there may be a bit off, but it shows someone who has a hunger to play international cricket at any cost, with a bit of a killer instinct which NZ players often sorely lack.

    Lou
    Last edited by NZTailender; 09-12-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  2. #107
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,805
    Anyone who has watched Lou in the Plunket Shield this season wouldn't be tricked into thinking he has a hunger to play for NZ at any cost.

  3. #108
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,558
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Anyone who has watched Lou in the Plunket Shield this season wouldn't be tricked into thinking he has a hunger to play for NZ at any cost.
    I was speaking generally. He certainly had that hunger in the past, though. I haven't seen him bat live for a long time

  4. #109
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,805
    Oh during the Bracewell reign, certainly. Add it to the list of players with talent we couldn't afford to squander, but did.


  5. #110
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    He hadn't played FC cricket before now in years tbf. So he's got to get back playing at a good level for 4+ day cricket.

    If you look at his Test career, he was dropped on form once after the Pakistan 03 series, after scoring 8, 4, 0 and 4 in the 2 Tests. Although, in the two test innings prior to that in India he scored 67 & 106. He was recalled to the side to play a middle order role vs Australia and performed solidly enough to keep his spot and score a double tonne vs Sri Lanka. Then went to Zimbabwe as an opener and scored 13 & 92. When he got back to NZ he voiced his displeasure at being forced to open, after cracking it where he was used to batting pre-Tests (i.e. middle order). So, he was left out because of that and not on a question of form. Then he managed to get called up as an injury replacement in SA 2007, not disgracing himself in a first innings where Cumming's 48 was our best score, then had to open in the 2nd due to Cumming's injury. Unsurprisingly, he never got another game.

    Basically, he should've played more than he should. I don't think because of those things does he deserve a shot now, but he could play again if he were to get back into form. For all his weaknesses he's shown he can handle Test cricket, and since he's opening for Auckland I guess he thinks thats where his best bet is.



    He's always been someone who's been frustrated by bull**** and mismanagement, which as we've seen this week, NZC produces a lot of. His comments there may be a bit off, but it shows someone who has a hunger to play international cricket at any cost, with a bit of a killer instinct which NZ players often sorely lack.

    Lou
    I don't disagree that he was screwed over. He should have been a regular during a large part of the last decade, or at least given a longer run. But right now, judging by his performances, we wouldn't be getting the old Vincent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  6. #111
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,292
    I think I understand the Bruce Martin selection. He won't play, but in case Patel gets injured, they would prefer to have a spinner who's not going to get tonked around.

    If Guptill hasn't got a score after the first test he'll be replaced by Fulton. I would prefer almost any opener in the country here, but at least I understand taking an extra opener.

    Anderson, Neesham, McClenaghan et al. won't play in the t20s but it's a good idea to get them into the atmosphere where they can work with Bond and develop a bit of a thirst for it.

  7. #112
    State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Anderson, Neesham, McClenaghan et al. won't play in the t20s but it's a good idea to get them into the atmosphere where they can work with Bond and develop a bit of a thirst for it.
    I'd say most, if not all of them, will play some part. We're guaranteed a debutant in the first T20 as we've picked 5 uncapped players in the squad. Obviously de Boorder will be one but yeah wouldn't be surprised if we had another couple of those guys in the team to start with tbh.

  8. #113
    U19 Debutant jcas0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    378
    Likely starting T20 lineup?

    Brendon McCullum (c):
    Guptill
    Fulton
    Franklin
    Nicol
    Munro
    N McCullum
    de Boorder
    Bracewell
    Boult
    Milne

  9. #114
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,805
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think I understand the Bruce Martin selection. He won't play, but in case Patel gets injured, they would prefer to have a spinner who's not going to get tonked around.

    If Guptill hasn't got a score after the first test he'll be replaced by Fulton. I would prefer almost any opener in the country here, but at least I understand taking an extra opener.

    Anderson, Neesham, McClenaghan et al. won't play in the t20s but it's a good idea to get them into the atmosphere where they can work with Bond and develop a bit of a thirst for it.
    They'll all play - it's a policy they've had of doing so. Let's be honest, international T20 is a waste of time and if they can blood players through there, and get a bit more serious close to World competitions, it's the way to go.

  10. #115
    International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, city of well....
    Posts
    2,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    ^^^, you cant drop McCullum and have Watling, Flynn and Brownlie there instead. Yes he is frustrating at times, but to put him below 3 players, lets get real here.
    Yeah i realize it would never happen, this was just a thought. Realistically McCullum is a whole level above those three, but until McCullum plays like a Test Cricketer he shouldn't make the team, imo. Hopefully captaincy will fix this issue and he will learn to play patiently. Maybe batting down the order again would do him wonders, if there are runs on the board he shouldn't feel the need to be too aggressive, and if we collapse he should see the need for control.

  11. #116
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    On Anderson, I remember Glenn Turner saying something years ago when interviewed at the Dilmah Tea Party about how he would've been picked for T20Is had it not been for injury. I'm thinking this was in 2009 or so, so it's no surprise to see him picked the minute he's fully fit. He'd done even less back then.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  12. #117
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    December 2008 apparently:

    ***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

    So we're talking four years ago. They've been keen for a very long time.

  13. #118
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,310
    I'm surprised that Anderson can get it through at 135kms I somehow thought he was going to be a part timer around Franklin's pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  14. #119
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    December 2008 apparently:

    ***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

    So we're talking four years ago. They've been keen for a very long time.
    It amuses me that by the time Anderson actually did end up in the Twenty20 squad, the bloke who I was telling about it back then got named in it as well!

  15. #120
    U19 Debutant jcas0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I'm surprised that Anderson can get it through at 135kms I somehow thought he was going to be a part timer around Franklin's pace.
    I'm pretty sure he was runner up to Boult in a fast bowling competition for school age cricketers. Not sure what impact his various injuries have had though. I think Neesham did well in one of those competitions too.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 10-12-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Page 8 of 284 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
    By James in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 24-06-2010, 06:48 AM
  2. India v South Africa Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  3. South Africa v England Twenty20s
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •