• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
On Anderson, I remember Glenn Turner saying something years ago when interviewed at the Dilmah Tea Party about how he would've been picked for T20Is had it not been for injury. I'm thinking this was in 2009 or so, so it's no surprise to see him picked the minute he's fully fit. He'd done even less back then.
But it is a surprise, because Turner was a terrible selector, and we were supposed to have moved in a different direction from his "just thrown 'em in" approach. Anyone who could hold a bat or bowl a ball almost got a run during the Turner era.

Mike5181

International Captain
I'm pretty sure he was runner up to Boult in a fast bowling competition for school age cricketers. Not sure what impact his various injuries have had though. I think Neesham did well in one of those competitions too.
We should have those fast bowling comps during home test matches. Something similar to what Australia did in the South African series would be pretty interesting.

jcas0167

International Debutant
But it is a surprise, because Turner was a terrible selector, and we were supposed to have moved in a different direction from his "just thrown 'em in" approach. Anyone who could hold a bat or bowl a ball almost got a run during the Turner era.
Turner was on the money in that case. Anderson did pretty well on the A team tour earlier that year (where Ryder was making his comeback from a hand injury).

The guy seems to be widely recognised as class. Nice endorsement here from JimmyGS:

In terms of pure see ball-hit ball ability? Corey Anderson by so far it's not even funny. Next best is tamati Clarke but few of you wouldve heard of him. Bowling, doug bracewell for sure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Turner was on the money in that case. Anderson did pretty well on the A team tour earlier that year (where Ryder was making his comeback from a hand injury).

The guy seems to be widely recognised as class. Nice endorsement here from JimmyGS:
You're probably not aware of this but JimmyGS is actually Jimmy Neesham; hits the ball a long way himself. :p

Flem274*

123/5
Because what he really needs right now is attention drawn to his anonymous online opinions, half of which were probably posted when he was 16.

/somewhat hypocritical:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because what he really needs right now is attention drawn to his anonymous online opinions, half of which were probably posted when he was 16.

/somewhat hypocritical:ph34r:
I'd be more sensitive about it if he stuck around, but he bailed so he can cop it. :ph34r:

jcas0167

International Debutant
You're probably not aware of this but JimmyGS is actually Jimmy Neesham; hits the ball a long way himself. :p
I figured that from your earlier comment :) I remember seeing him smash a massive six off Seth Rance in the HRV Cup final a few years ago and thinking he looked like a good player. Glad to see his move to Otago paid off.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be more sensitive about it if he stuck around, but he bailed so he can cop it. :ph34r:
Ha, he's not exactly going to hang around and offer his full and frank appraisal of guys he may soon be playing with is he. Anyway, well done to him for being named in the NZ T20 squad. Hopefully a first step on the path to greater things.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Only just realised Mark Gillespie missed out on the test squad to Martin and Wagner. Just a touch surprised. I wonder if Chris Martin is considered a positive influence on the young fast bowlers or something like that - it's the only reason I can think of that we continue to fly a 38 year old (happy bday Chris) who can't bat all around the world as second reserve fast bowler.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd definitely pick Martin ahead of Wagner in the hypothetical event that we play 4 seamers. Would do a good job of keeping it tight while Boult/Southee caused havoc at the other end.

Anderson's selection reminds me a bit of Ryder's. Back in 2008, BFJ had done sfa in the previous couple of seasons, and there was absolutely no basis to pick him for the ODI squad (he averaged about 24 in list A cricket at the time). But the selectors, having seen him bat, just decided that there was no point in leaving him outside of the team any longer. It feels kinda the same for Anderson. Even though he's had only moderate success this season, the selectors have decided that his introduction to intl cricket has been delayed for long enough. I'm hoping he does OK. T20i's should be an easy environment for him to come in and just have fun anyway. Hope he doesn't bowl too much though. From what I saw of him in that t20 for ND the other week, he couldn't land the ball on a picnic blanket.

Briony

International Debutant
Chris Martin owns South Africa. Probs why he's going to make one last tour there.
He didn't really do that well earlier in the year against them though did he?

Kiwi bowlers probably will like SA conditions but if the pitch is lively doesn't that mean it will suit Steyn, Morkel and Philander as well? It may get down then to which batting lineup is stronger.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Anderson's selection reminds me a bit of Ryder's. Back in 2008, BFJ had done sfa in the previous couple of seasons, and there was absolutely no basis to pick him for the ODI squad (he averaged about 24 in list A cricket at the time). But the selectors, having seen him bat, just decided that there was no point in leaving him outside of the team any longer. It feels kinda the same for Anderson.
I think that's right. In both cases the selectors had known the players had the ability for a long time, but for various reasons (in Anderson's case injuries) they hadn't progressed. I hope he gets a go.

straw man wrote

Only just realised Mark Gillespie missed out on the test squad to Martin and Wagner.
Seems a bit harsh, especially given he was the best bowler against SA earlier in the year. Also highlights how much Southee and Boult have improved since then.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He didn't really do that well earlier in the year against them though did he?

Kiwi bowlers probably will like SA conditions but if the pitch is lively doesn't that mean it will suit Steyn, Morkel and Philander as well? It may get down then to which batting lineup is stronger.

He did all right.

We're under no illusions here. SA have the better bowling and batting lineup by far.

However, I do believe that our bowling attack is stronger than Australia's, so if on the very slight chance we manage to put up a reasonable score, our bowlers will do a better job of taking wickets than Australia did in the first 2 tests.

I'd definitely pick Martin ahead of Wagner in the hypothetical event that we play 4 seamers.
+1

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Speaking of Maclaggan St, not much has been said over his selection. I guess with all the hype it was only a matter of time should he stay injury free. Never seen him bowl live IIRC so I'll be keen to see.