Page 7 of 284 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    iirc after Vincent returned from the ICL he announced his intention to play for NZ again, scored some domestic T20 runs, then threw a public tanty when he wasn't picked straight away for the next NZ test series. This after making a big scene before storming off to the ICL in the first place.

He was hard done by pre-ICL a couple of times by the selectors but no way he deserves to have played tests since then.
    When abouts was that? I can't remember the timeframe. All the IPL/ICL stuff blends together.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    There was an article in the paper today which was basically Sinclair and Vincent bitching about how they should keep getting opportunities even though they've been tried and failed many times because they've been scoring runs domestically and that the selectors should just pick the people that have been scoring runs
    That's not the way I read it. In fact Sinclair was bigging up Aaron Redmond. Highlighting his current form andthat when he was dropped he had scored an 80 in that match.

Looks like the future is 2 test series between NZL and SAF. Just had a look at our next series in NZL and its 2 tests as well like this one. Unbelievable really.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    What's with all the Vincent love? He hasn't scored a FC ton in years and is in his mid 30s. Considering his technique is very reliant on his eye and he isn't scoring runs at his age, it suggests in the whites his decline is terminal. Fulton probably shouldn't be there but he should be there before Lou Vincent.

A while ago I broke down Fulton's FC career and basically before the start of this season, the first half he was a beast and in the second half he averages mid 30s with a terribad conversion rate. Before this season, if you asked me about how good a player Fulton currently is in the Shield I would say his overall average massively flatters him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Would've been an ideal time for Neil Broom to get a call up if they were looking for a player with a little bit of first-class experience, but he's not in great form so it's understandable they didn't go there.
    Neil Broom is another who has fallen away over the previous 2 years or so. Has a ton to his name this season tbf but nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Hopefully not. He's bloody average.

And Anderson has to be one of the most unexpected and undeserved selections I can remember. Bowled a total of 3 overs in domestic T20, averages 16 or something with the bat. Reward for staying fit for a few days in a row. I'd be surprised if he played Test cricket in the next 3 years - he's nowhere near it.
    Colin de Grandhomme. 40 odd 20/20 games, terrible record, mid 20's, limited ability, there's one for you champ.
    Last edited by Howsie; 08-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I raise you James "averaged 29 in FC when selected" Marshall

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Colin de Grandhomme. 40 odd 20/20 games, terrible record, mid 20's, limited ability, there's one for you champ.
    But yet his batting average was about 10 higher than Anderson, strike rate way way better, had at least made a 50, less injury record, and bowled more overs. Oh and also played for NZ A and with a better FC record.

And..I said Anderson was one of the most undeserved. I didn't say he was the luckiest ever. Oh and if you can find it, I've said before that Colin didn't deserve to be picked but they saw ability (yes ability) and thought they could harness it. Same as they must be saying with Corey, coz it ain't on the pie chart.

Don't let the maroon blinkers hinder your vision friend.

U19 Vice-Captain Halfpast_Yellow's Avatar
    So what's the if-only dreamer's NZ test XI for this tour of SA?

Guptill
    Flynn
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Ryder
    McCullum
    Watling (wk)
    Bracewell
    Patel/4th pacer
    Southee
    Boult

?

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    When abouts was that? I can't remember the timeframe. All the IPL/ICL stuff blends together.
    I have the same problem remembering these things - looked up and it was around 09/10 he was back. One of his comments was:

I came back to New Zealand to prove that I wanted to play cricket again and to tell the selectors that I want to play for New Zealand again. And I guess the ball is in their court. And yeah, if all else fails I might play against the Black Caps at the next Twenty20 World Cup for England
    nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Halfpast_Yellow View Post
    So what's the if-only dreamer's NZ test XI for this tour of SA?

Guptill
    Flynn
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Ryder
    McCullum
    Watling (wk)
    Bracewell
    Patel/4th pacer
    Southee
    Boult

?
    IMO:
    Guptill
    McCullum
    Flynn (left hander)
    Taylor
    Williamson
    Ryder (left hander)
    Watling (wk)
    Bracewell
    Southee
    Boult
    Patel

I want a left hander in the top 3 and I think Flynn has the technique for it.

Guptill and Ryder can bowl if needed. This would be a very good team.

U19 Cricketer
    Guptil
    McCullum
    Williamson
    Ryder
    Taylor
    Watling
    Munro
    Bracewell
    Patel (Vetorri maybe, or pace)
    Southee
    Boult

Don't really like Flynn, still hasn't scored an 100..
    Last edited by Prensel; 08-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Remember much else that he did?
    My point was that after a debut like that, you don't need to do much else.

The main memory is him saying the Australian team were like a pack of dogs when he came into the ODI side when Astle retired in 2006/2007. He then played pretty well, got injured before the World Cup and went off to ICL.

Otherwise, after that excellent start he wasn't perhaps wasn't consistent enough opening and John Bracewell saw him as a middle order option. At the time with Fleming, Styris, Astle & McMillian that meant few opportunities. As an example, he had a pretty good home summer in 2005 against Australia and a top score of 224 against Sri Lanka, then after a 92 in Zimbabwe in 2005, didn't play in the test team again until in South Africa in November 2007. Then ICL.

Just checking his test innings on cricinfo and his performances opening were better than I remembered, including a century in India. But followed up with a bad home series against Pakistan in 2003 when Shoab Ahktar was in at his peak and was replaced by Papps.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    My point was that after a debut like that, you don't need to do much else.

The main memory is him saying the Australian team were like a pack of dogs when he came into the ODI side when Astle retired in 2006/2007. He then played pretty well, got injured before the World Cup and went off to ICL.

Otherwise, after that excellent start he wasn't perhaps wasn't consistent enough opening and John Bracewell saw him as a middle order option. At the time with Fleming, Styris, Astle & McMillian that meant few opportunities. As an example, he had a pretty good home summer in 2005 against Australia and a top score of 224 against Sri Lanka, then after a 92 in Zimbabwe in 2005, didn't play in the test team again until in South Africa in November 2007. Then ICL.

Just checking his test innings on cricinfo and his performances opening were better than I remembered, including a century in India. But followed up with a bad home series against Pakistan in 2003 when Shoab Ahktar was in at his peak and was replaced by Papps.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Heres something different
    Watling
    Ryder
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Flynn
    Brownlie
    DeBorder
    Bracewell
    Wagner/Martin
    Southee
    Boult

Time for McCullum to go, has had 70 tests, he hasn't shown he can adapt to the game, and his average isn't that much greater that a few former Blackcaps who got far fewer tests.
    Guptill needs to get back playing domestics and County where he can spend some time at the crease and work on his technique.

^^^, you cant drop McCullum and have Watling, Flynn and Brownlie there instead. Yes he is frustrating at times, but to put him below 3 players, lets get real here.

Page 7 of 284 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information