Page 64 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Yeah I'm happy with this line-up.

I'm not worried about the bowlers. They will take wickets.
    Yeah, I'm not going to bitch about that line up. It's the best we can select atm. Throw Taylor, Ryder, and Southee in there and we have a decent team. Who would everyone pick out of Wagner and Martin? It seems most people are leaning towards the latter.

I'd take Martin because he's had more success against SA, although Wagner does have experience in SA.....
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Wagner, because we need the runs.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I would go with Wagner, more for his ability with an older ball to get it to reverse.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if both played instead of Bracewell

Martin.

Wagner or Martin? It's depressing either way

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa.

I don't expect Marto to be great, but he won't affect the performance of the other bowlers.

I don't expect much from this series, but I have calmed down enough to hope we win. I still think Hesson is a chump and McCullum is the wrong choice as skipper, but there are 10 other players on the field and I've never believed in the "hope we lose for the greater good" mantra because NZ have done enough losing for two test nations and more losing won't change anything because NZC will always stick their heads in the sand.

Hesson will be gone soon enough. It's a shame because by all accounts he brings an attention to detail that I think could have benefitted this side but his forays into shenanigans have damaged his effectiveness, reputation and probably his future career prospects.

Besides, we're going to lose regardless so no need to hope for it.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 29-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa.

I don't expect Marto to be great, but he won't affect the performance of the other bowlers.

I don't expect much from this series, but I have calmed down enough to hope we win. I still think Hesson is a chump and McCullum is the wrong choice as skipper, but there are 10 other players on the field and I've never believed in the "hope we lose for the greater good" mantra because NZ have done enough losing for two test nations and more losing won't change anything because NZC will always stick their heads in the sand.

Hesson will be gone soon enough. It's a shame because by all accounts he brings an attention to detail that I think could have benefitted this side but his forays into shenanigans have damaged his effectiveness, reputation and probably his future career prospects.

Besides, we're going to lose regardless so no need to hope for it.

I think it was Doull that noticed Wagner was scuffing the wrong side of the ball up when we were playing the West Indies.

The thing about this Hesson/McCullum hate from within New Zealand is, no one outside the country actually cares. People who watch cricket around the world only care about their own team, and how much of a challenge we're going to be. They won't turn on the TV and watch us play if we're consistently losing, bringing over half-strength squads etc. The perception of our team is only going to get worse. You can already see the "stepping stone" articles that have been coming out lately to see everyone views our team as an absolute joke. I hope by the time the England series comes along, we have a proper full-strength side, and people can just pretend to get along. I had to watch us lose 4-0 to ****ing Bangladesh, and now all this bull**** is going on. Imagine this team with Southee, Taylor, Ryder, and maybe Vettori. We could actually look like a half decent side. I haven't seen one of those from us in ages.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Martin, because according to sauces Wagner has issues with scuffing the wrong side of the ball up apparently (haven't seen enough red ball cricket of him to know, so disregard if I'm wrong), and Marto has a fantastic record against and in South Africa
    He's 38 and quite possily half the bowler he was 18 months ago. I honestly can't see how what he did 5, 10, 20 years ago has more relevance than what he hasn't done over the past 12 months, and that's not take wickets. Our bowling attack has taken massive strides over the past six months, why not give Wagner and run and see what we have? We're going to lose anyway, might aswell do it with players who will be here in a years time.

That and our lower order will be ridiculously **** if he plays.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

U19 Cricketer
    At least McCullum is opening again..

..and getting out after a quick 30. Happy days.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    What is the point of calling a warmup match off early? It's about the practice, not the result. And it's not like we don't need the practice.

That SA side didn't do too badly considering they were only their second tier first class players.

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    That SA side didn't do too badly considering they were only their second tier first class players.
    And what does that tell you about New Zealand?

Jesus, this is going to be so horrible. I'll I'm imaging is South Africa on 400/2 and New Zealand being 30/4.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Looks like a drubbing's on cards. FML etc.
    Just hope Kaneh does well. That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Thread Information