Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 284 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

  1. #76
    State 12th Man Flametree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    785
    Since that series six and a half years ago, Franklin's scored 325 runs for 17 times out. This is at the time he's being picked primarily as a batsmen. I know he's been in and out of the side a lot but still, that's nowhere near enough.

    So yes, I probably do think Fulton would do better. Though I'd prefer the squad had included another allrounder like Neesham or Munro....

  2. #77
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,189
    I think the Fulton selection is a borderline disgrace personally. It's been overshadowed by the Taylor fiasco (and tbf probably wouldn't have happened without it) but the bloke is a real proven Test failure. We're not just talking about someone who started well at Test level and then faded away, or showed bright spots but just didn't quite cut it; we're talking about someone with one fifty and zero centuries in 16 Test innings - i.e an extended run with absolutely no success. His last series was an embarrassment of poor footwork to a ridiculous extreme. Even all that would be excusable in the circumstances if he'd been consistently one of the best batsmen in New Zealand over the last few seasons, but he didn't manage to hit a ton last season or the season before, and in fact his overall record has been far worse since his last dropping than it was before it. He hasn't improved as a batsman since his last stint in the side; he's actually declined, dramatically. And all that can be wiped away because he's had a decent start to this season apparently.

    I actually used to really like Fulton, and I tasted his Test failures. I thought he'd be a decent Test batsman for New Zealand and I was proven very, very wrong. If the selectors wanted an experienced top order option to replace Taylor they should have picked Sinclair - someone who actually has had some Test success, including one of New Zealand's best ever innings on one of the grounds a Test is being this tour - and someone who has been consistently good season to season in domestic cricket. I'm fine with Sinclair not being picked if he's had his cards marked for previous failures and the selectors want to look at younger or newer options, but Fulton? Really? I can only assume it's because he's been opening the batting the season but I don't believe for a second he's actually more suited to it than Skippy anyway.

    I'd actually be stoked if Fulton did well because I've always liked him and I'm a sucker for a older player making a comeback and doing well (Misbah ) so be prepared for my bandwagoning if he does well, but I think it's a poor pick.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 08-12-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  3. #78
    U19 Vice-Captain Chewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think the Fulton selection is a borderline disgrace personally. It's been overshadowed by the Taylor fiasco (and tbf probably wouldn't have happened without it) but the bloke is a real proven Test failure. We're not just talking about someone who started well at Test level and then faded away, or showed bright spots but just didn't quite cut it; we're talking about someone with one fifty and zero centuries in 16 Test innings - i.e an extended run with absolutely no success. His last series was an embarrassment of poor footwork to a ridiculous extreme. Even all that would be excusable in the circumstances if he'd been consistently one of the best batsmen in New Zealand over the last few seasons, but he didn't manage to hit a ton last season or the season before, and in fact his overall record has been far worse since his last dropping than it was before it. He hasn't improved as a batsman since his last stint in the side; he's actually declined, dramatically. And all that can be wiped away because he's had a decent start to this season apparently.

    I actually used to really like Fulton, and I tasted his Test failures. I thought he'd be a decent Test batsman for New Zealand and I was proven very, very wrong. If the selectors wanted an experienced top order option to replace Taylor they should have picked Sinclair - someone who actually has had some Test success, including one of New Zealand's best ever innings on one of the grounds a Test is being this tour - and someone who has been consistently good season to season in domestic cricket. I'm fine with Sinclair not being picked if he's had his cards marked for previous failures and the selectors want to look at younger or newer options, but Fulton? Really? I can only assume it's because he's been opening the batting the season but I don't believe for a second he's actually more suited to it than Skippy anyway.

    I'd actually be stoked if Fulton did well because I've always liked him and I'm a sucker for a older player making a comeback and doing well (Misbah ) so be prepared for my bandwagoning if he does well, but I think it's a poor pick.
    There was an article in the paper today which was basically Sinclair and Vincent bitching about how they should keep getting opportunities even though they've been tried and failed many times because they've been scoring runs domestically and that the selectors should just pick the people that have been scoring runs

  4. #79
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    There was an article in the paper today which was basically Sinclair and Vincent bitching about how they should keep getting opportunities even though they've been tried and failed many times because they've been scoring runs domestically and that the selectors should just pick the people that have been scoring runs
    I don't even completely disagree, but Fulton has scored bugger all runs since getting dropped years ago and now he's suddenly back in the side after half a good season? WTF?


  5. #80
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,222
    Would've been an ideal time for Neil Broom to get a call up if they were looking for a player with a little bit of first-class experience, but he's not in great form so it's understandable they didn't go there.

  6. #81
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,384
    Mike you are obsessed with Neil Broom

    Agree with PEWs on Fulton. But oh well, it will just another train wreck in slow-mo.

  7. #82
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    478
    They should put Munro in the test squad.

    He can replace Franklin.

  8. #83
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    auckland nz
    Posts
    342
    Peter Fulton couldn't get his feet moving to Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul in our own conditions yet the selectors think he'll succeed against Steyn, Morkel and Philander on the worlds quickest pitches at 34 years old . FMD.

  9. #84
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    There was an article in the paper today which was basically Sinclair and Vincent bitching about how they should keep getting opportunities even though they've been tried and failed many times because they've been scoring runs domestically and that the selectors should just pick the people that have been scoring runs
    Vincent's Test average: 34.15
    Williamson: 32.71
    Sinclair: 32.05
    Guptill: 32
    Brownlie: 31.25
    Watling: 30
    Flynn: 28.22
    Franklin 21.21

    Of those going to SA only McCullum has a better average. If Vincent got into some FC form I don't think a recall would be unreasonable.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  10. #85
    U19 Debutant jcas0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    There was an article in the paper today which was basically Sinclair and Vincent bitching about how they should keep getting opportunities even though they've been tried and failed many times because they've been scoring runs domestically and that the selectors should just pick the people that have been scoring runs
    I was disgusted that they overlooked Lou Vincent when Australia were touring here in 2010. He was available after ICL and other issues, in form and instead they went with Peter Ingram to replace the injured Ryder.

    Now, Ingram had done well in domestic cricket but it seemed risky to introduce him and his unique technique against the Aussies when they had a guy like Vincent ready to go. He is one of the big wasted talents over the past decade. Remember his hundred on debut (and fifty in second innings) opening at the WACA?
    Last edited by jcas0167; 08-12-2012 at 03:41 AM.

  11. #86
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    Seriously, if you're going to pick a guy in his 30s then Sinclair and Vincent legitimately do have more claim than guys like Fulton.

    The other big question is whether Guptill should be on this tour, given his poor form. If he wasn't going I could understand a comeback replacement. But I'd definitely opt for Vincent instead.

  12. #87
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,222
    Vincent had other problems [depression, ICL] etc that didn't help either tbf. Looking at some of the players we have tried in the past, he should have played more test cricket. He never really delivered to the level his talent suggested he could though, and his first-class and OD records show that.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 08-12-2012 at 04:05 AM.

  13. #88
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,306
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    Remember his hundred on debut (and fifty in second innings) opening at the WACA?
    Remember much else that he did?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  14. #89
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Vincent had other problems [depression, ICL] etc that didn't help either tbf. Looking at some of the players we have tried in the past, he should have played more test cricket. He never really delivered to the level his talent suggested he could though, and his first-class and OD records show that.
    There were various factors as to why Vincent hasn't played more. At the same time, he hasn't lived up to his potential, but not successfully becoming an opener and being a victim of the biomechanics school of batting also has played a part.

  15. #90
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,384
    iirc after Vincent returned from the ICL he announced his intention to play for NZ again, scored some domestic T20 runs, then threw a public tanty when he wasn't picked straight away for the next NZ test series. This after making a big scene before storming off to the ICL in the first place.

    He was hard done by pre-ICL a couple of times by the selectors but no way he deserves to have played tests since then.

Page 6 of 284 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
    By James in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 24-06-2010, 06:48 AM
  2. India v South Africa Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  3. South Africa v England Twenty20s
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •