• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

BeeGee

International Captain
Just hope Kaneh does well. That's all.
And Boult, for me. Those are the only two NZ players I'm really interested in.

I'm looking forward to watching Amla bat. He's my favourite Test batsman, atm. It's so refreshing to see an old school style batsman who doesn't try to play LO cricket at Test level.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man

I'm looking forward to watching Amla bat. He's my favourite Test batsman, atm. It's so refreshing to see an old school style batsman who doesn't try to play LO cricket at Test level.
Except at Perth when he murdered oz at better than a run a ball, lol. I guess when you average 59 in ODI cricket (with a strike rate of 91) you might as well bat like it's an ODI eh? :ph34r:

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, while our 3 best players are missing, the rest of this team is actually the best we can field.

We need players like Flynn, Bracewell, Guptill etc to step up. It will be a much better team if Taylor comes back into a side that's already performing.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

Wouldn't quite call him old school. He stands there, feet rooted to crease and barely seems to have to look at the ball to send it to the boundary. Probably the most talented batsmen of the century for mine, definitely a modern player through and through.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah he doesn't really have a classical technique.

I think it was Sangakkara at the ICC awards who said when he first saw Amla he didn't think he had the technique to make it but that he had been proven wrong.

One of the most likeable players in world cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
I've had a peek at the schedule and I'll be away for the entirety of the second test, so that will be the one we win if any.

First test probably a write off soz.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We'll lose the second by an innings, but I have that weird optimism about the first test.

McCullum and Flynn will ton up, Boult and Jeets will run through SA.

Flem274*

123/5
1st Test: South Africa v New Zealand at Johannesburg, Nov 25-29, 1994 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The secret is ND players obvs. Trent, you're > Doull. Kane, you're > Shane Thompson. Also Bucko, Jeets injures himself in warm-ups apparently and you play, and you're > Matthew Hart.
Haha, that team doesn't look bad on paper at first glance but in hindsight I don't know how they did that. It was the end for Crowe and Rutherford and just the beginning for Fleming, Parore and Nash. Young and Doull were the only insta-picks in their primes there.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hoping there are some great individual performances from NZ players, because we're not much of a hope as a team. Hoping for at least 2 centuries overall (pretty sad innit?) from Kane, Brownlie, Flynn, Guptill or Watling, and a 5fer from Bracewell or Boult.

Briony

International Debutant
We'll lose the second by an innings, but I have that weird optimism about the first test.

McCullum and Flynn will ton up, Boult and Jeets will run through SA.
SA has a habit of dropping a test at home and can go into series undercooked but they seem to do extra well in Cape Town. Maybe a better chance in Joburg where a team can get on the wrong side of the toss with the ball flying through there.

BTW Taylor has a poor record against SA so may not be missed as much as you all think.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
SA has a habit of dropping a test at home and can go into series undercooked but they seem to do extra well in Cape Town. Maybe a better chance in Joburg where a team can get on the wrong side of the toss with the ball flying through there.

BTW Taylor has a poor record against SA so may not be missed as much as you all think.
We looked well matched against what was almost an SA club team. Just puttin' that out there.

Taylor is 50x the batsman he was last time he played them at hom so it's not a relevant statistic now.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
We looked well matched against what was almost an SA club team. Just puttin' that out there.

Taylor is 50x the batsman he was last time he played them at hom so it's not a relevant statistic now
Yeah pretty much. Gonna miss him big time surely.