• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Haha. Know that feeling.
I had less of an excuse. I should be up at 9 on a Sunday morning (which is when it started in my time zone).

Sleeping through a 5 a.m. start time is more understandable. Next one is at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning for me, I don't imagine I'll catch any of it.

Meridio

International Regular
He was plumb in Peterson's first over and there was a sweep shot he played against Phangiso around over 10 or 11 which was even more plumb.

Just not a convincing win at all.
Na, the sweep was going down leg, Hawkeye confirmed it. The one in the first over should've been out though, yeah.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Na, the sweep was going down leg, Hawkeye confirmed it. The one in the first over should've been out though, yeah.
Nope I'm not talking about the one they showed on hawkeye. This was one a couple of overs before that shout.

edit: just found it on cricinfo:
10.6 Phangiso to Guptill, no run, tossed up on leg stump, it was full and Guptill gets hit on the pads as he attempts a sweep. That was very close but the umpire doesn't show interest in that appeal. very close.

this is the one you're talking about:
Phangiso to Guptill, no run, tossed up and Guptill misses his sweep, get hit on the back pad. It was very close again.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Nope I'm not talking about the one they showed on hawkeye. This was one a couple of overs before that shout.

edit: just found it on cricinfo:
10.6 Phangiso to Guptill, no run, tossed up on leg stump, it was full and Guptill gets hit on the pads as he attempts a sweep. That was very close but the umpire doesn't show interest in that appeal. very close.

this is the one you're talking about:
Phangiso to Guptill, no run, tossed up and Guptill misses his sweep, get hit on the back pad. It was very close again.
Ah, can't remember that one, therefore I will assume it didn't happen :happy:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Still a good innings, but I just can't bask in a win because we really played no better than we did in the first game.

Our strategy and planning was just awful again.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, so now the coach and captain can't shake each other's hand after a win without earning the wrath of angry, sad little CWers. Great stuff.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't that be in regards to a spinner? Because I have no idea how an umpire is suppose to rule on what is and isn't a slower ball.
It isn't the ball in particular that matters, it is the bowler. The 'slow bowler' primarily refers to spinners, however the interpretation is generally along the lines of any bowler to whom the wicketkeeper would normally stand up to the stumps.

As soon as a bowler breaches that interpretation, they are to be considered a fast bowler for the remainder of the innings, regardless of the specific pace of any individual ball.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It isn't the ball in particular that matters, it is the bowler. The 'slow bowler' primarily refers to spinners, however the interpretation is generally along the lines of any bowler to whom the wicketkeeper would normally stand up to the stumps.

As soon as a bowler breaches that interpretation, they are to be considered a fast bowler for the remainder of the innings, regardless of the specific pace of any individual ball.
Really? Source? The only time I've seen that definition in terms of what makes a fast bowler is within the ECB's fast bowling directives in terms of length of spell permitted for U19 and younger... a definition that is hugely open to, er, manipulation if you have a good wicketkeeper.

I got entrusted with writing rules for a local festival last summer:

In addition to the Laws of Cricket, the umpire shall call and signal “no ball”, regardless of the pace of the bowler, if:
(a) Any high full pitched ball passes (or would pass) above waist height of a striker standing upright in his crease
(b) Any delivery bounces more than once or rolls along the ground

It's the way forward...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Really? Source? The only time I've seen that definition in terms of what makes a fast bowler is within the ECB's fast bowling directives in terms of length of spell permitted for U19 and younger... a definition that is hugely open to, er, manipulation if you have a good wicketkeeper.

I got entrusted with writing rules for a local festival last summer:

In addition to the Laws of Cricket, the umpire shall call and signal “no ball”, regardless of the pace of the bowler, if:
(a) Any high full pitched ball passes (or would pass) above waist height of a striker standing upright in his crease
(b) Any delivery bounces more than once or rolls along the ground

It's the way forward...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That's the same definition as the Cricket Australia fast-bowling rules. To be honest, it seems more like a common-sense interpretation than anything codified in the laws.

And I may have manipulated it somewhat a few years back by wicketkeeping up to the stumps to all bar our opening bowlers.

I agree with your version of the law anyway, just make it waist-high regardless of pace.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Guppy WAFG - woke up and saw this. Wowzers. Still backing SA to win the series. Barring Gups, dire as usual it seems.