• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Flem274*

123/5
Hey so I hear there are these two really talented batsmen called Taylor and Ryder. How come they haven't been picked? Taylor has even been touted as a future captain so he must be quite respected by followers of the game in New Zealand.

Binkley

U19 Captain
That was awful. Why did I bother getting up to watch that rubbish? Still, McCullum has promised that the team will be even more aggressive next match, so, you know, awesome.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Welp, I'm glad I didn't get up early for this...

Mccullum needs to be more aggressive if we're to have a chance on this tour.

BeeGee

International Captain
Brendon McCullum: You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
Serious question: What does that mean?

Does it mean they weren't good enough to be aggressive against those bowlers? (In which case they will never "earn the right to be aggressive").

Does it mean they should have played themselves in first before being aggressive? (i.e. normal batting, constructing an innings the way we are all taught to do).

Does it mean the NZ cricket team is in the hands of idiots and we're all ****ed? (**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****).

I think this is the most angry I've been after a meaningless T20.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Newbies did not do too bad for both teams especially munro and de kock. Don't think the black caps can post more then 120 unless one player plays a brilliant game, but then again buffalo park should be easier then Durbs. Let's hope for a more competitive game, surely the black caps will not repeat this performance.

Clear weekend for east london, no rain expected.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Woke up this morning and saw the headline "Woeful New Zealand hammered". **** McCullum, **** Hesson, **** Nicol went through my head. After looking at the scorecard and watching a few highlights my fears were confirmed, easily one of the worst pieces of captaincy/coaching in a long time.
McCullum looks to be a selfish **** who dropped down to 3 to take some of the pressure of himself. Franklin needed to bat at 3, he can play a really good top order T20 innings at times, he just needs a little while to get in.
Also that positive intent stuff that McCullum goes on about is pure drivel, play good safe cricket shots to good balls and put away the bad ones. In T20 that equates to working good balls into the gaps for singles, and anything marginal putting away for boundaries. Doing that you can easily get 7-8 runs an over, playing safe cricket (by T20 standards at least). Games like this kind of makes you wish KW was in the squad, someone who can play intelligent cricket and knows how to hit the ball into gaps.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well so this side is useless - I'm so surprised :dry:. I really hope Anderson, Neesham, Munro and McClenaghan are getting something out of this ****magnet (other than positive intent) or else there is literally no reason for NZ to play.

Does it mean the NZ cricket team is in the hands of idiots and we're all ****ed? (**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****).
loving some Beegee rants though

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Welp, I'm glad I didn't get up early for this...
Exactly what I was going to say.

What a cluster****. I feel bad for the new guys. Apart from a couple of small highlights (Munro, Mitch) there's not much you can take away from this, and the only (only) excuse for poor performance (apart from picking people like Fulton and Franklin and the whole captain abortion saga) is it's the first game of the series. If the 2nd games goes the same way, or worse, I won't bother watching any of the tour.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
This also reminds me of Pakistan in 03, when a bunch of players didn't tour due to security concerns iirc. Debuted Cumming, Richard Jones, Hamish Marshall, Mason, Matthew Walker, Kerry Walmsly and Tama ****ing Canning. We got whitewashed I think, and few of the debuted ever went on, and none ever achieved anything great (though Marshall looked good for a bit).

Difference is these newbies actually have something about them. Anderson, MaclagganSt, Neesham, Munro have some real promise. Fulton, Franklin and Nicol on life support, but I guess calling up people to replace them wouldn't help much in the long run.

jcas0167

International Debutant
On radio they said Anderson was bowling mid 120's? Has he dropped pace since his injuries or was that just because it was his first international over?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Let's hope for a more competitive game, surely the black caps will not repeat this performance.

you say that, but we know better.

Seriously, how the **** is Nicol in the team? I have never ever seen him play a decent cricketing shot in my life.

Who's ****ed up idea was it for McCullum not to open? This experiment has been going on far too long. It didn't work in the WC, and it hasn't worked since.

Most teams have figured out that when your innings lasts 20 OVERS MAXIMUM you should open with your best batsmen.

I don't understand why this needs to be explained to the coach and captain of an international team.

Howsie

International Captain
On radio they said Anderson was bowling mid 120's? Has he dropped pace since his injuries or was that just because it was his first international over?
Nup, mid 130's. Bowled a couple of slower balls in that over, may have only seen that.

Neesham only got the one ball but I was surprised to see him bang it down at 135 straight up, that's pretty decent wheels all things considered. I really hope both he and Anderson are given a decent run with the NZ team this summer, all the 20/20's and maybe an ODI or two. Could and should be big time players for New Zealand in the future.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nup, mid 130's. Bowled a couple of slower balls in that over, may have only seen that.

Neesham only got the one ball but I was surprised to see him bang it down at 135 straight up, that's pretty decent wheels all things considered. I really hope both he and Anderson are given a decent run with the NZ team this summer, all the 20/20's and maybe an ODI or two. Could and should be big time players for New Zealand in the future.
Cool, I remember he was doing pretty well with the bowling a few years ago before a shoulder problem so that's good to hear.

Definitely hope they stick with them. With Oram scaling back his involvement those guys seem like his natural successors.