• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

BeeGee

International Captain
Ryder
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum (wk)
Franklin
NcCullum
Southee
Mills
McClenaghan

??
Ryder/Guptill
McCullum (wk)
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
Munro/Watling
Franklin
NcCullum
Southee
Mills
McClenaghan

I still think McCullum's best position is as an aggressive opener.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yes, perhaps Hamish Marshall too

I never would have expected him to return at nearly 34 and bat well at international level again. Not after the lack of runs for Wellingtron.
He'd been in good form in HRV Cup. As I said on 9 January about his selection :)

He's been doing ok in the HRV Cup, some quick fire efforts in the middle order. Also, I think the wickets there will suit his batting, as the Australian ones did in 2008/2009. Plus he adds some brains and maturity to the side. I think it's a pretty sensible selection and expect he will do very well.
The comparison above to a guy like Twose seems a good one. Also, Andrew Alderson in the Herald on Sunday today compared him to Coney in that he is pretty average domestically, but has a good temperament for international matches. I think his style suits the bouncier wickets too, he struggled on the slower sub-continent wickets and that's when he was dropped last time.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
McCullum said winning the ODI series was good compensation after a terrible tour. Don't think he should let this success obscure the poor test performances. Can't think of too many times that the kiwis were that noncompetitive in a test series.

jcas0167

International Debutant
McCullum said winning the ODI series was good compensation after a terrible tour. Don't think he should let this success obscure the poor test performances. Can't think of too many times that the kiwis were that noncompetitive in a test series.
I think there will be plenty of people to remind them :) I think the tests were useful in identifying that Brownlie & Watling had what it takes. I wish they'd tried Bruce Martin & maybe Mitchell McLenaghan in the second test. Patel and Wagner will have slipped down the pecking order.

Briony

International Debutant
I think there will be plenty of people to remind them :) I think the tests were useful in identifying that Brownlie & Watling had what it takes. I wish they'd tried Bruce Martin & maybe Mitchell McLenaghan in the second test. Patel and Wagner will have slipped down the pecking order.
Yes useful from that point of view. Wagner doesn't look up to it; McLenaghan showed glimpses in the shorter forms and would have benefited from an outing. Martin may have been a better option than Patel. Watling's success means they may use Ronchie as a batsman.