Page 228 of 284 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    The few good NZ sides I've seen have never had 3-4 players averaging over 40, but they have had bloody useful lower order players. Once upon a time our 7-10 would have been Hadlee, Smith Bracewell and Cairns or Snedden. And then Cairns, Parore, Nash, Vettori. This side takes me back to 1993 or something when 8-11 were Su'a, Morrison, Doull (before he became a reasonable tail-end hitter), Watson / de Gron....
    I was thinking this reminded me of NZ 1993-94 in Australia when Crowe got injured. Similar sense of men playing boys, although some gutsy efforts by the keeper Tony Blain.

Disappointing though predictable end to the series. Would've liked to see Watling make a hundred; he's impressed me a lot in the last few months. Hopefully our other batsmen can learn something from him. Har har.

Anyway, am bored so player ratings for the test series:

Guptill - 2. Looks absolutely wrecked, both technically and mentally. Not sure how to fix it though 'cause he traditionally flogs lower standard bowling around.
    McCullum - 3. Generally kept the pace bowlers out, though struggled to rotate the strike. Age-old problem of only having two gears - full attack or block everything. Also, is a ****wit. **** captaincy.
    Williamson - 2. Stop ****ing flirting outside off stump. I genuinely believe he could be our best bat for a long time, but he just has to start scoring more runs.
    Brownlie - 7. Scored a lot more than I thought he would. Loses marks though for failing in the first innings both times; only scoring once each game was already effectively lost.
    Flynn - 1. Ugh.
    Watling - 8. Biggest positive from the tour. Didn't see all that much of his keeping; from what I did see though I thought he looked a touch untidy though made no glaring mistakes.
    Franklin - 1. Should not play tests for NZ again.
    Munro - 2. Not up to it. Gains an extra point for bowling a few decent overs.
    Bracewell - 3. Thought he bowled okay in the second test; overall though continued his poor recent form. No runs with the bat either.
    Patel - 1. Crap with the ball, embarrassing with the bat.
    Boult - 3. Really disappointing tour, just not consistent enough. Goes searching for wickets and sprays it around. Needs Southee at the other end imo.
    Wagner - 1. Still overhyped, bowled trash in the overs I saw from him. Too concerned with being mouthy and aggressive instead of bowling in good areas.
    Martin - 2. Way past it; time to retire.
    Hesson - -999. Idiot.

Too harsh?

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Had been thinking of doing this but you basically wrote my post for me

Pretty much bang on. To quibble over minor details
    - Guptill lucky to get a 2. More of a 1.5.
    - Wagner wasn't good but a 1 is too harsh - gets a 2 or 2.5.
    - Tempted to give Boult and Bracewell 4s
    - I liked Hesson's score

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    South Africa ratings

Petersen - 10
    Smith - 10
    Amla - 10
    Kallis - 10
    De Villiers - 10
    Du Plessis - 10
    Elgar the Horrible - 1
    Petersen - 10
    Kleinveldt/Philander - 10
    Steyn - 10
    Morkel - 10

Amazing team. Even with comic relief character Elgar included. Don't care if he scored a century - still crap - I didn't see it anyway so therefore it didn't happen. It's like there's a horde of vicious angry vikings charging up the hill from their longboat towards you and then this guy jumps out and you die laughing

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Had been thinking of doing this but you basically wrote my post for me

Pretty much bang on. To quibble over minor details
    - Guptill lucky to get a 2. More of a 1.5.
    - Wagner wasn't good but a 1 is too harsh - gets a 2 or 2.5.
    - Tempted to give Boult and Bracewell 4s
    - I liked Hesson's score
    Could probably add a rating for batting coach Bob Carter while I'm at it. Hmm, he gets an uppercut out of ten. Working wonders with our young batsmen. Not.

And yeah, I was going to write something about SA too but cbf. Ridiculously good team. Only weakness is Elgar, who despite his century is still ****.

Nice interview with Kepler Wessels. Maybe he could help out our batsmen?

Craig Cumming was also on this morning talking about openers & pointing out how different test cricket is in terms of pace, areas bowled and pitches. A lot of the guys top scoring now domestically would have learned a lot (eg Redmond, Papps, Fulton). His ideal top order featured Watling opening and Ronchi coming in at 7.

Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    Nice interview with Kepler Wessels. Maybe he could help out our batsmen?

Craig Cumming was also on this morning talking about openers & pointing out how different test cricket is in terms of pace, areas bowled and pitches. A lot of the guys top scoring now domestically would have learned a lot (eg Redmond, Papps, Fulton). His ideal top order featured Watling opening and Ronchi coming in at 7.
    Kepler; worth listening to. Interesting about the technical coaching, for the top order, he thinks is required before the England series. Where is it going to come from? Bob Carter FC ave of 18, or failed Otago B's Mike Hesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Kepler; worth listening to. Interesting about the technical coaching, for the top order, he thinks is required before the England series. Where is it going to come from? Bob Carter FC ave of 18, or failed Otago B's Mike Hesson?
    Maybe they could bring in Jamie Siddons after this endorsement from Tamin Iqbal. Glenn Turner is being used as a talent scout for the selectors - they could do worse than ask him to help out.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Or even Rigour. The mental side of it, anyway. We want our openers to be in the 'standing under a tree in the rain screaming for a net' mental area, hunger-wise.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    Maybe they could bring in Jamie Siddons after this endorsement from Tamin Iqbal. Glenn Turner is being used as a talent scout for the selectors - they could do worse than ask him to help out.
    Wouln't be the worst thing getting Siddons involved. He did some good things with the Bangladesh batsmen.

de Kock might be banned for the first two ODIs so AB might not get to rest his sore back after all.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Jeez, he's a bit stiff, de Kock. What happened?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

U19 Cricketer

That would be a bit hard on de Kock, but physical contact with players is not on.

Thread Information