• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Athlai

Not Terrible
I sort of combine Guptill the T20 opener with Guptill the ODI opener in my reckoning of him in limited overs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin would be my first reserve for that team, followed by Elliott, followed by any other Wellington player.

uvelocity

International Coach
how the hell did williamson manage that. went to bed he was 15 off 30 or something and walking outside off before the ball was delivered asking for a leg stump yorker

Briony

International Debutant
Looks like SA threw that away with run outs and with Amla, AB and Kallis missing they simply could not afford Faf to be run out so cheaply chasing a challenging total, super flat pitch or not.

While SA insist on playing the likes of Ingam (runs but on a belter) and Behardien, they will continue to struggle in this format. Kirsten has a lot of work to do (as he conceded at the start of the series) to get them to play with some consistency. Though like Australia, constant rotation and playing some ordinary commodities won't help.

Much needed win by the kiwis to provide some relief from a nightmare tour but they shouldn't be foolish enough to let some meaningless one-dayers paper over the massive cracks in their system.

Williamson's ton was a surprise. When I left the game he was struggling and looked a bit out of his depth as he did in the first match and as he did mightily so in the tests. He must have really ramped it up.

Guess Guptill would have to be finished now given that he struggled again even on this belter.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Brumby - your thoughts on Kane Williamson now?
Williamson's innings means he can belt bowlers around on flat pitches with compromised rules but it doesn't really answer the question as to what he's like in test match cricket against the likes of Steyn with close-in fielders and some spice in the pitch to test the techniques and mettles of players. Why would people ask for a revision of an assessment of a player based on an ODI innings? The best thing it will do is give him confidence. Ingram making 79 at a reasonable SR shouldn't convince too many that he's the answer for SA either.

Mike5181

International Captain
Williamson's innings means he can belt bowlers around on flat pitches with compromised rules but it doesn't really answer the question as to what he's like in test match cricket against the likes of Steyn with close-in fielders and some spice in the pitch to test the techniques and mettles of players.
Well he did score a century against Steyn, Philander, Morkel, and de Lange just last year.

Briony

International Debutant
Problem for NZ here is that they haven't got many wicket takers. Just been trundlers for the past few overs.
Problem for South Africa is that none of the rest of the batting lineup have form for chasing down totals. Smith has to bat right through you would think.
Would go back to Williamson and McCullum or give Munro a bowl.

Just about nailed it here. NZ lacked the bowlers but managed five run outs due to a combination of good fielding and injudicious running. SA again didn't have the middle-order to orchestrate a chase after the top order which was cruising, committed suicide.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
but it doesn't really answer the question as to what he's like in test match cricket against the likes of Steyn with close-in fielders and some spice in the pitch to test the techniques and mettles of players
Yeah, I agree with this, but it was still a perfect ODI hundred.

He did not get bogged down in the middle overs against the spinners, nor did he throw his wicket away once he started cramping.

It was a perfect one day hundred from a number 3 batsman, and should've set NZ up for >300 were McCullum and co not so crap. Which is pretty impressive considering where we were after 10 overs.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Briony

International Debutant
Well he did score a century against Steyn, Philander, Morkel, and de Lange just last year.
Yes but while he prospered despite the rest of the top order failing ridiculously, it was again a very flat pitch and he was dropped three times. Remember that Petersen caught him out early yet it was one of those that the third umpire ruled against because of tv pictures. At least he fought it out after the kiwis surprisingly collapsed but the dead fifth day pitch that it was wasn't the same as facing a similar attack on pitches that offered some assistance to the bowlers. He looked all at sea in the test series.

This will obviously go down as one of his best ODI innings in time but it doesn't address the questions of him facing the top bowlers on test strips which aren't flat.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yes but while he prospered despite the rest of the top order failing ridiculously, it was again a very flat pitch and he was dropped three times. Remember that Petersen caught him out early yet it was one of those that the third umpire ruled against because of tv pictures. At least he fought it out after the kiwis surprisingly collapsed but the dead fifth day pitch that it was wasn't the same as facing a similar attack on pitches that offered some assistance to the bowlers. He looked all at sea in the test series.
He also got 77 in the second test at Hamilton out of a total of 168. He was batting no5 though, which I think is the best place for him at the moment in test cricket (similarly, Ponting batted 3 in ODI's from early in his career but batted 5 or 6 in tests).

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Guptill shouldn't be getting dropped from the ODI side. He's the most consistent 40 and out batsman we have in the colours. World class fielder as well.

Guptill
Ryder/McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Watling (wk)
McCullum/Ryder
Franklin (5)
NcCullum (4)
Mills (1)
Southee (2)
McClenaghan (3)

I think that side will take the field if NZ can douse all their burning bridges any time soon.

I'm quietly glad I didn't post my expected/suspected full strength line up last night because it had Ronchi in place of Williamson in it (Ronchi at 7 obvz with Ryder/Guptill/McCullum at 3). I'd be tastin'.