• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
While this was nice, I hope this isn't used as an excuse to sweep the test series under the carpet.
What are you talking about?

All is well with NZ cricket and it always has been. Nothing bad has ever happened. Move along people.

Some resemblance to Chris Moller there

jcas0167

International Debutant
Great stuff. Nice for Neesham to get a wicket to finish it off. The fielding hadn't been that great in the early part of the tour so good to see it improve. I feel vindicated too in supporting Elliot's selection :cool:

Blain

U19 Captain
With the NZC saying the main focus was on the one day world cup, they would say that this tour has now been hugely successful...

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Shocking effort by our middle order. Our middle order has always been a problem. Why can't we just fix the fact that they score too slowly in the middle overs? Why is it so damn difficult? All our chokes can be traced back to the middle order. It is quite frankly ridiculous.
You should be a coach.

"Right, here's the plan: lads in the middle, you score faster"

"Thanks, Coach!"

Great effort by our boys. Love Williamson's ability to score big. He is going to break every NZ batting record going.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Weird to think that statistically NZ have access to 5 of the best 15 Kiwi ODI batsman who have scored 1000 runs (rounding up for Kane).

From raw stats it goes:

Turner 47.00
Twose 38.81
Crowe 38.55
Taylor 37.86
Williamson 37.38
Guptill 36.45

Jones 35.69
Astle 34.92
Ryder 34.37
Fulton 32.53
Styris 32.48
Fleming 32.41
Edgar 30.74
Coney 30.72
McCullum 30.12

Could we putting up arguably our greatest ever ODI batting lineup soon if Watling keeps being good? (or Ronchi guns it failing that)

Guptill
Watling
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
McCullum
Ronchi
Mills
NcCullum
Southee
Other bowler X (Vettori/Boult/McClenananananaaghan)

NAME THAT LINEUP GUIZ

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Weird to think that statistically NZ have access to 5 of the best 15 Kiwi ODI batsman who have scored 1000 runs (rounding up for Kane).

From raw stats it goes:

Turner 47.00
Twose 38.81
Crowe 38.55
Taylor 37.86
Williamson 37.38
Guptill 36.45

Jones 35.69
Astle 34.92
Ryder 34.37
Fulton 32.53
Styris 32.48
Fleming 32.41
Edgar 30.74
Coney 30.72
McCullum 30.12

Could we putting up arguably our greatest ever ODI batting lineup soon if Watling keeps being good? (or Ronchi guns it failing that)

Guptill
Watling
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
McCullum
Ronchi
Mills
NcCullum
Southee
Other bowler X (Vettori/Boult/McClenananananaaghan)

NAME THAT LINEUP GUIZ
It's not really that simple though because New Zealand a lot more matches against minnows than they used to, and batting averages are going up in one day cricket so the standards are higher today. Someone like Styris was a much better batsman than that average shows for most of his career too.

There's a reason you were ranked ninth with a pretty similar lineup for the mostpart, and it's not just because Nicol is really bad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Funny too that despite the current team actually having about a thousand "fifth bowlers", that team you posted struggles a bit for one, with Williamson and Ryder having to combine for ten (or possibly more of Nathan McCullum gets smashed early).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

From raw stats it goes:

Turner 47.00
Twose 38.81
Crowe 38.55
Taylor 37.86
Williamson 37.38
Guptill 36.45

Jones 35.69
Astle 34.92
Ryder 34.37
Fulton 32.53
Styris 32.48
Fleming 32.41
Edgar 30.74
Coney 30.72
McCullum 30.12
Used to love Twose, especially his fielding. I remember one brilliant catch from him but I've never seen anyone post the video

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's not really that simple though because New Zealand a lot more matches against minnows than they used to, and batting averages are going up in one day cricket so the standards are higher today. Someone like Styris was a much better batsman than that average shows for most of his career too.

There's a reason you were ranked ninth with a pretty similar lineup for the mostpart, and it's not just because Nicol is really bad.
Yeah I'd definitely say that the rankings cannot be read purely in that order but I'd also say that does represent the top 15 NZ ODI bats pretty well. I'd probably put McMillan in there ahead of Edgar but I'd say thats a fair representation.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Funny too that despite the current team actually having about a thousand "fifth bowlers", that team you posted struggles a bit for one, with Williamson and Ryder having to combine for ten (or possibly more of Nathan McCullum gets smashed early).
Yeah would have to drop Watling or Ronchi to put in a 5th bowling option of any greater quality. My issue with the lineup I named is that Mills, NcCullum and even Southee all have bad days and may not get through a full 10 so a genuine 5th bowling option is required.

Bring back Cairns.

Boam for the future.

Etc. etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I'd definitely say that the rankings cannot be read purely in that order but I'd also say that does represent the top 15 NZ ODI bats pretty well. I'd probably put McMillan in there ahead of Edgar but I'd say thats a fair representation.
Guptill averages 30 and strikes at 75 against other top eight nations; I think I'd take Cairns for example well ahead of him at this point given his role, much higher strike rate, standards of the era etc.

Williamson's record is even worse despite his ton today (averages sub 30 and strikes at 70 against major nations), although as I've maintained for quite a while I'm sure he'll fix that up in time. He's been given weird roles in the lower order too.

McCullum averages less than Chris Harris and Hamish Marshall against other major nations. Of course his record is much better as opener which is why he's moving back down the order.. lol.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah would have to drop Watling or Ronchi to put in a 5th bowling option of any greater quality. My issue with the lineup I named is that Mills, NcCullum and even Southee all have bad days and may not get through a full 10 so a genuine 5th bowling option is required.

Bring back Cairns.

Boam for the future.

Etc. etc.
You know you want to pick Franklin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly wouldn't rate Guptill in the top 15 yet. 1 century in 4 years against top 8 opposition is poor for an opening bat.