• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

jcas0167

International Debutant
Are we screwed in the Tests or what?

New Zealands best batsman average: Brendon McCullum - 35.63
South Africas worst batsman average: Jacques Rudolph - 35.43

Wish Taylor and Ryder would just play.
Based on the series against Australia last year, I would rate Brownlie ahead of Ryder for handling pace bowling on bouncy wickets. A point Mark Reason noted ahead of that series:

At the moment Ryder's backers point to a test average of 44.85. It's a flattering figure, not a phrase often used about Ryder. Against India, the West Indies and Bangladesh (not the bowling giants of the modern cricket world), Ryder averages 65. Against Australia, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, teams with a bit of fizz in their fast bowling, Ryder averages a shade under 20. He has not played against two of the world's top teams, England and South Africa.
Mark Reason | Jesse Ryder's talent will be tested... | Stuff.co.nz

BeeGee

International Captain

Nice stat :laugh:

I'm looking forward to watching Amla carve it up. He is a bearded cricketing god!

Weird schedule. T20 then Tests then ODIs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Dean Elgar - 0.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
See some logic in Fulton selection. He likes hard pitches and is in good form.
Really? The Peter Fulton I remember didn't like the ball above knee height, particularly in the years after he stopped bothering to move his feet.

Chubb

International Regular
Really? The Peter Fulton I remember didn't like the ball above knee height, particularly in the years after he stopped bothering to move his feet.
Hmmm well I based that off some stuff I remember when he did quite well v Australia and England in 06-07. You might well be right.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm well I based that off some stuff I remember when he did quite well v Australia and England in 06-07. You might well be right.
If he doesn't get bounced out, the concrete feet will give him away. Alongside Peter Ingram, he is as limited technically as it comes.

Worry for the NZ batsman is that most of them don't have a back foot game and on their last few tours here they have just been annihilated by back of a length pace. Probably helps them that the two venues for the tests probably won't be lightening quick.

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm, I don't think it will be specifically back of a length pace that damns us. Williamson, McCullum, Flynn and Brownlie are pretty strong in that area. If anything I'd target someone like Brownlie on the front foot or with his best mate spin.

It's the general leap in pace bowling quality from SL and India that will kill us. Well that and general incompetence.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Hmm, I don't think it will be specifically back of a length pace that damns us. Williamson, McCullum, Flynn and Brownlie are pretty strong in that area. If anything I'd target someone like Brownlie on the front foot or with his best mate spin.

It's the general leap in pace bowling quality from SL and India that will kill us. Well that and general incompetence.
While i agree with you, Williamson is at his weakest back of a length off off stump. I expect Philander will target this area and get his wicket nearly match.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, there's nothing that Fulton loves more than rocking back and creaming a bouncer of backward square for 6.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, there's nothing that Fulton loves more than rocking back and creaming a bouncer of backward square for 6.
with those players it tends to depend how fast the bouncers are.

I seem to remember him looking a bit out of his depth against the likes of Lee (and/or Tait) one series.

Could be someone else i'm thinking of though.