• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't want a scrappy ODI win.

I want to see someone score an ODI century. That glorious innings of controlled aggression, mixed in with some middle-over accumulation, and a slog at the end.

I want to see someone actually take control of the match and set a good score or time a chase perfectly.

Unfortunately the only people who are capable of this are on SA's side.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My thoughts on the NZ lineup:

Stacking the side with allrounders like that to conceal our lack of batting is probably a strategically good move in that it gives us a better chance of setting a decent score, but it's kinda negative and counterproductive in the long run.

I would like to see Neesham have to bowl at least 5 overs. I don't want him to have the cushion of also having Elliot and Franklin and Munro and Williamson as options.

That strategy of "give him an over and see how he goes" is not going to set him up as a proper all rounder in the future.

Can you imagine England in Flintoff's years saying "yeah, we'll see how his first over goes before we trust him with a proper role in the side"?

That's the other thing. It dilutes responsibility.

Briony

International Debutant
So SA win the toss and bowl. Did McCullum indicate what he would have done?
Usually better not to bat under lights.

With Amla injured in the warm-ups this is one of the weakest SA ODI line-ups for some time. Kiwis should be favourites here with a more settled team.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well bowled, but extremely poorly played for a top order batsman. Not sure what was worse, the shot selection or the technique of Guptill's there.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Two reasons to bat second. Due factor at night makes it more difficult for bowlers and fielders and it is easier to bat second if you look at past games.

McCullem would have bowled first too.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Two reasons to bat second. Due factor at night makes it more difficult for bowlers and fielders and it is easier to bat second if you look at past games.

McCullem would have bowled first too.
Turns out that the majority of games here have been won chasing but the sun is out and the conditions are conducive to batting so NZ should post a good total. du Plessis said 260 was about par. In oz batting under lights can be tough but in some places there is a dew factor at night.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Turns out that the majority of games here have been won chasing but the sun is out and the conditions are conducive to batting so NZ should post a good total. du Plessis said 260 was about par. In oz batting under lights can be tough but in some places there is a dew factor at night.

I would say if NZ get's 270 we will be in for a good game. The last odi here SA scored 299 and lost to Sri Lanka. We do have an inexperienced batting side so I would be worried if NZ got more then 270.