Cricket Player Manager
Page 19 of 284 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Inspired by the Colin Munro's lingering Safrican accent here's the NZ African XI. Have I missed anyone? Rather lacking in the bowling department but at least they have three wicketkeepers

Andrew De Boorder*
    BJ Watling
    Carl Cachopa
    Colin Munro
    Craig Cachopa
    Kruger Van Wyk
    Brad Cachopa
    Derek De Boorder*
    Colin De Grandhomme
    Neil Wagner

* I know the De Boorders are NZ born but I need numbers so gonna assume the last name is via Safrica rather than Dutch.

Edit: Forgot BJ Watling - four wicketkeepers....
    Last edited by straw man; 19-12-2012 at 04:48 PM.

State Captain
    Shwing and a miss, they're Dutch if anything. No Saffer at all in them.

Roald Badenhorst, James Fuller..

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Grant Elliott

Fine then. Yeah I probably should have guessed Badenhorst with a name like that. And Grant Elliott gives us XI!

BJ Watling
    Carl Cachopa
    Colin Munro
    Craig Cachopa
    Grant Elliott
    Kruger Van Wyk
    Brad Cachopa
    Colin De Grandhomme
    Roald Badenhorst
    James Fuller
    Neil Wagner
    Last edited by straw man; 19-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Lack of spinner is disappointing though unsurprising. Can't imagine the Saffers would let any half decent spinner leave their shores these days.

Lots of middle order batsmen though (some of rather dubious quality). Everyone wants to bat at number 6.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    New theory: if Ronchi is really earmarked to take the gloves against England, then maybe McCullum can fill in for two tests in South Africa.

Seems cruel to give BJ the gloves and then take them away from him once Ronchi becomes available.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    All right, since it's obvious this series is being viewed as a trial for the next limited overs allrounder, to get this thread moving lets place our bets.

Anderson - highest ceiling of the three, and potentially world class in both departments. Unfortunately he's on the floor of the room with the very high ceiling (to steal a quote from PEWS).
    Munro - The most limited of the three due to his batting technique and his bowling is the weakest of this lot. His eye is as good as either and he makes hitting look easy. He has also been the most effective of the three with the bat across all formats so far.
    Neesham - Equal with Anderson with the bat in terms of raw potential, but has been more effective with bat and ball. He is currently the most effective bowler of the three.

Batting (on results) - Munro, Neesham, Anderson
    Batting (on potential) - Anderson = Neesham, gap, Munro
    Bowling (on results) - Neesham, daylight, Anderson = Munro
    Bowling (on potential) - Anderson, daylight, Neesham, daylight, Munro

I'm going to place my bet on Jimmy Neesham. He combines ability with progress.

I'm expecting to be told to taste it over the newest candidate for Genuine Fast Bowler Who Doesn't Break Down as well. I have a hunch McClenaghan will enjoy South African conditions quite a lot with his style of bowling.

Not going to taste it ftr. I was right in 2009. It's 2012 now.
    This is an excellent analysis. I'd be interested to see some footage of Kuggeleijn batting - in the Dompost they said he looked like Cairns in getting his 156. He could be competing with this group pretty soon.

What's the highest in the order these guys could come in? Could Munro or Anderson bat at 4 in ODI's?
    Last edited by jcas0167; 19-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    This is an excellent analysis. I'd be interested to see some footage of Kuggeleijn batting - in the Dompost they said he looked like Cairns in getting his 156. He could be competing with this group pretty soon.

What's the highest in the order these guys could come in? Could Munro or Anderson bat at 4 in ODI's?
    lol, maybe in the sense that he was hitting the ball powerfully, but I can't think of any other similarities between the two. Zero foot movement, and just swinging through the line a lot of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    lol, maybe in the sense that he was hitting the ball powerfully, but I can't think of any other similarities between the two. Zero foot movement, and just swinging through the line a lot of the time.
    hehe, cool. I've just tracked down the article (also I got his score mixed up with Southee's - it was 142 not out).

Not a huge foot-mover, he prefers to stand tall, and slightly to the leg side of the ball, and then hit hard through the line.

At times yesterday he resembled Chris Cairns and developing into a genuine allrounder is definitely his aim.

"In three or four years I want to be batting [at] six or seven and scoring a lot of runs, but we'll see how it goes," Kuggeleijn said.
    Kuggeleijn Reveals Hidden Batting Talents | Stuff.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    All right, since it's obvious this series is being viewed as a trial for the next limited overs allrounder, to get this thread moving lets place our bets.
    Wasn't a fan of Anderson's batting in that Seddon Park ton he made. Neesham's got more of a smooth and loose style, I expect him to get out lbw quite often, but his shotmaking at least looks the part a bit more.
    Jimmy Neesham, Boundaries Compilation - YouTube

Munro scores 272/2 on his pull/hook shot when you search the vault btw, I was begrudgingly impressed. He'll have some special needs dismissals, but if this back foot power works in SA, then he gets on small grounds in NZ, he'll send shockwaves though CW with his batting record by the end of the England tour.

Anyway, I've got Neesham to have looked the best with the bat, but I think his bowling might get angled into the wheelhouse of good players a bit too predictably and get hit. The biggest threat I see is some tips from Bond getting Anderson swinging it back in consistently at good pace, which then wins the trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I really hope Munro trolls the South Africans into bowling short, because he is a million dollars on the back foot and through the legside. It's his stance imo that sets him up beautifully for those shots but at the same time makes his front foot offside play all about hand eye coordination (which is unlikely to work at this level).
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Wasn't a fan of Anderson's batting in that Seddon Park ton he made. Neesham's got more of a smooth and loose style, I expect him to get out lbw quite often, but his shotmaking at least looks the part a bit more.
    Jimmy Neesham, Boundaries Compilation - YouTube
    Geeze, looks so effortless and pretty late as well. Lovin' it!
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

State Vice-Captain
    Neesham does look gorgeous in those hits. How's his defence?

No, a bit of a dishevelled student flat in defence tbh. As it would need to be, when you're averaging 23 in NZ FC cricket despite your shotmaking and timing being that good. Gets ribbed as the pioneer of the 'attack watchman' role by his captain etc.
    Last edited by Kippax; 20-12-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Thread Information