• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We are going to get pasted, which I don't mind, but here's some progress I want to see:

• Flynn to finally kick on and score a century.
  • Williamson to become more consistent
  • Patel to pick up a few more wickets against poorer players of spin
  • Southee and Boult to continue where they left off
  • NZ batsmen to post over 400 at least once

I will be relatively happy with the progress (bar obvious treatment of Taylor) if this happens.
  • Flynn to finally kick on and score a century.
No, not even close. Awful series and he might be on the chopping board now.
  • Williamson to become more consistent
Nope. Still think he's batting out of position but either way he needs to learn a touch of discipline outside offstump.
  • Patel to pick up a few more wickets against poorer players of spin
nope. Looked threatening at times but, like all the bowlers, was too inconsistent to apply pressure
  • Southee and Boult to continue where they left off
Southee injured. And nope, Boult bowled at least 1 **** ball and over and let off the pressure
  • NZ batsmen to post over 400 at least once
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So what progress has anyone in the team made? Watling and Brownlie were good but they were coming into the team so they don't count.

Does this mean that our players are better off being in domestic environments if they want to develop?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ffs dropping Williamson to five isn't going to fix his problems outside off it's just going to hide them
Maybe they need to be hidden at the moment? He's only 22, he can work on it and in the meantime let him come in against the older ball. Long term I think potentially he could be a very good no3, but maybe no5 would be better for him right now. Let someone more experienced like Taylor take that spot.

jcas0167

International Debutant
The few good NZ sides I've seen have never had 3-4 players averaging over 40, but they have had bloody useful lower order players. Once upon a time our 7-10 would have been Hadlee, Smith Bracewell and Cairns or Snedden. And then Cairns, Parore, Nash, Vettori. This side takes me back to 1993 or something when 8-11 were Su'a, Morrison, Doull (before he became a reasonable tail-end hitter), Watson / de Gron....
I was thinking this reminded me of NZ 1993-94 in Australia when Crowe got injured. Similar sense of men playing boys, although some gutsy efforts by the keeper Tony Blain.

Meridio

International Regular
Disappointing though predictable end to the series. Would've liked to see Watling make a hundred; he's impressed me a lot in the last few months. Hopefully our other batsmen can learn something from him. Har har.

Anyway, am bored so player ratings for the test series:

Guptill - 2. Looks absolutely wrecked, both technically and mentally. Not sure how to fix it though 'cause he traditionally flogs lower standard bowling around.
McCullum - 3. Generally kept the pace bowlers out, though struggled to rotate the strike. Age-old problem of only having two gears - full attack or block everything. Also, is a ****wit. **** captaincy.
Williamson - 2. Stop ****ing flirting outside off stump. I genuinely believe he could be our best bat for a long time, but he just has to start scoring more runs.
Brownlie - 7. Scored a lot more than I thought he would. Loses marks though for failing in the first innings both times; only scoring once each game was already effectively lost.
Flynn - 1. Ugh.
Watling - 8. Biggest positive from the tour. Didn't see all that much of his keeping; from what I did see though I thought he looked a touch untidy though made no glaring mistakes.
Franklin - 1. Should not play tests for NZ again.
Munro - 2. Not up to it. Gains an extra point for bowling a few decent overs.
Bracewell - 3. Thought he bowled okay in the second test; overall though continued his poor recent form. No runs with the bat either.
Patel - 1. Crap with the ball, embarrassing with the bat.
Boult - 3. Really disappointing tour, just not consistent enough. Goes searching for wickets and sprays it around. Needs Southee at the other end imo.
Wagner - 1. Still overhyped, bowled trash in the overs I saw from him. Too concerned with being mouthy and aggressive instead of bowling in good areas.
Martin - 2. Way past it; time to retire.
Hesson - -999. Idiot.

Too harsh?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Had been thinking of doing this but you basically wrote my post for me :p

Pretty much bang on. To quibble over minor details
- Guptill lucky to get a 2. More of a 1.5.
- Wagner wasn't good but a 1 is too harsh - gets a 2 or 2.5.
- Tempted to give Boult and Bracewell 4s
- I liked Hesson's score

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa ratings

Petersen - 10
Smith - 10
Amla - 10
Kallis - 10
De Villiers - 10
Du Plessis - 10
Elgar the Horrible - 1
Petersen - 10
Kleinveldt/Philander - 10
Steyn - 10
Morkel - 10

Amazing team. Even with comic relief character Elgar included. Don't care if he scored a century - still crap - I didn't see it anyway so therefore it didn't happen. It's like there's a horde of vicious angry vikings charging up the hill from their longboat towards you and then this guy jumps out and you die laughing

Meridio

International Regular
Had been thinking of doing this but you basically wrote my post for me :p

Pretty much bang on. To quibble over minor details
- Guptill lucky to get a 2. More of a 1.5.
- Wagner wasn't good but a 1 is too harsh - gets a 2 or 2.5.
- Tempted to give Boult and Bracewell 4s
- I liked Hesson's score
Could probably add a rating for batting coach Bob Carter while I'm at it. Hmm, he gets an uppercut out of ten. Working wonders with our young batsmen. Not.

Meridio

International Regular
And yeah, I was going to write something about SA too but cbf. Ridiculously good team. Only weakness is Elgar, who despite his century is still ****.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nice interview with Kepler Wessels. Maybe he could help out our batsmen?

Craig Cumming was also on this morning talking about openers & pointing out how different test cricket is in terms of pace, areas bowled and pitches. A lot of the guys top scoring now domestically would have learned a lot (eg Redmond, Papps, Fulton). His ideal top order featured Watling opening and Ronchi coming in at 7.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Nice interview with Kepler Wessels. Maybe he could help out our batsmen?

Craig Cumming was also on this morning talking about openers & pointing out how different test cricket is in terms of pace, areas bowled and pitches. A lot of the guys top scoring now domestically would have learned a lot (eg Redmond, Papps, Fulton). His ideal top order featured Watling opening and Ronchi coming in at 7.
Kepler; worth listening to. Interesting about the technical coaching, for the top order, he thinks is required before the England series. Where is it going to come from? Bob Carter FC ave of 18, or failed Otago B's Mike Hesson?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Kepler; worth listening to. Interesting about the technical coaching, for the top order, he thinks is required before the England series. Where is it going to come from? Bob Carter FC ave of 18, or failed Otago B's Mike Hesson?
Maybe they could bring in Jamie Siddons after this endorsement from Tamin Iqbal. Glenn Turner is being used as a talent scout for the selectors - they could do worse than ask him to help out.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Or even Rigour. The mental side of it, anyway. We want our openers to be in the 'standing under a tree in the rain screaming for a net' mental area, hunger-wise.

Briony

International Debutant
de Kock might be banned for the first two ODIs so AB might not get to rest his sore back after all.