Page 170 of 284 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Is Rilee Roussouw a better prospect than Elgar?

BTW that McCullum earn the right to be aggressive seems one of the more bizarre mantras flowing from a senior test player.
    Yes, would say he and a couple of others are more talented. From what I hear Elgar has got the gig because he's seen as being a mature bloke with a good head for test cricket.

Hasn't really worked out so far
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Radio saying that Grant Elliot has been called up for the ODI series as Corey Anderson is injured. WTF? Elliot has been in terrible form all season. Terrible selection.
    He's been doing ok in the HRV Cup, some quick fire efforts in the middle order. Also, I think the wickets there will suit his batting, as the Australian ones did in 2008/2009. Plus he adds some brains and maturity to the side. I think it's a pretty sensible selection and expect he will do very well.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 09-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.

yeah I don't mind the Elliot selection.

State Captain
    Yet it's a say one thing, do another situation. Hesson is fresh off saying the main focus is the 2015 World Cup, and he's selecting a 33-year-old? No sense. Pick Colin de while he's in a bit of nick, go for Cachopa, anything. You don't even have to play them

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Yet it's a say one thing, do another situation. Hesson is fresh off saying the main focus is the 2015 World Cup, and he's selecting a 33-year-old? No sense. Pick Colin de while he's in a bit of nick, go for Cachopa, anything. You don't even have to play them
    In 1990 Crowe said the main focus was the 92 World Cup, but they still picked guys in their 30's like Wright, Jones, Smith & Patel. Elliot could still be playing well in 2015.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they had gone for de Grandhomme either. In fact, I am surprised he's been overlooked since the ODI series at home last season. He got a quick 30 odd and was run out.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 09-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.

My team for the final test would be..

Flynn
    McCullum
    Williamson
    Brownlie
    Guptill (We know he is a good player, but has been poor against the swinging red ball)
    Watling
    Munro
    Wagner
    Bracewell
    Martin (Bruce)
    Boult

There are talks of the pitch being dry and reverse swing around, Wagner is the only one who is known to actually reverse it. It seems like more batting depth, but the bowling is largely untested. I don't think we lose much with Martin coming in for Patel, but gain a bit of batting and something unknown to the Saffers. Plus he spins it away from the right handers, which is more of an asset than a right hand offy with no real variation.

Open the bowling with Boult and Bracewell, Wagner 1st change and Munro to give someone a breather and contain. He has a decent record in domestic cricket, I would have faith that he would do a better job than Franko.

State Captain
    Absolutely zero chance Elliott plays at the 2015 World Cup. He's pushing the proverbial uphill to even make Wellington's side - I bet he almost fell off whatever seating arrangement he was on when the call came through.

If Matt Henry wasn't injured over the past year I'm certain it would have been him.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AB De Villiers
    "They lost the first test match so they might be under a bit of pressure to play him [Wagner]," de Villiers said.

"He's a wonderful bowler, we all know that. Personally I wouldn't do it because of the amount of left-handers that would be in the attack.
    De Villiers getting his orders in I see. Don't agree with his logic since Wagner would be in for Martin who swings the ball in the same direction. Also with so many left-handers in most sides' top 6 these days, it shouldn't generally be seen as an issue to play multiple left-arm fast men imo. Though South Africa are an exception with only Smith (and Elgar).

Also if we have two left arm bowlers that's more footmarks for Patel to bowl into. With half an eye on the England series I don't see much point in debuting B Martin now.

if conditions are swinging I would pick Martin over Wagner.

I think I would go for the same team as the last test TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    De Villiers getting his orders in I see. Don't agree with his logic since Wagner would be in for Martin who swings the ball in the same direction. Also with so many left-handers in most sides' top 6 these days, it shouldn't generally be seen as an issue to play multiple left-arm fast men imo. Though South Africa are an exception with only Smith (and Elgar).

Also if we have two left arm bowlers that's more footmarks for Patel to bowl into. With half an eye on the England series I don't see much point in debuting B Martin now.
    Yes, I don't understand why there should be a limit on left armers as opposed to right armers? I wouldn't mind if they played McClenaghan, Boult & Wagner.

I would play B Martin too, I'd love to see how he goes.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 09-01-2013 at 05:19 PM.

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    I would play B Martin too, I'd love to see how he goes.
    If nothing else, Jeets should be dropped for his dreadful batting in the second innings. I know he is not in the team to score runs, but his scared bunny reaction to Steyn means he will be a walking wicket in PE. And going into a test with Chris Martin and a gunshy Patel means we will essentially only be batting to eight down in either innings.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Same team as last time if I were coach.

Reasons

Wagner did not do enough in the warm up game. He had to outbowl martin there and Martin performed in the first test.
    Munro needs a few more limited overs successes to show he is ready for tests. Either that or another FC double century that isn't scored on a road.
    Patel has enough credit in the bank to warrant another go before being dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    We know Munro isn't ready but he has to play to be able to see that because he's not going to change much about his game while scoring truckloads in crappy domestic cricket. He needs a taste of what it's like up a few notches.
    Exit pursuing a beer

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Patel has enough credit in the bank to warrant another go before being dropped.
    Does he though? I like Jeets and he sometimes looks to be bowling beautifully - but his overall record is poor, and he didn't do much in India or Sri Lanka that I recall (except for a 4 for 100 in a match where we failed to reach 170 in either innings). When he is bowling well in helpful conditions he gets bounce and spin - and that is what makes him (occasionally) dangerous - and I don't think he will see much of either in PE. I think the strongest argument for including him would be if Wagner came in for Chris Martin and we had three left-armers creating a nice messy crater for him.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Hmmmm, Grant Elliott. I can only assume he's been lighting it up something bad in club cricket?
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Thread Information