Page 168 of 284 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    NZ domestic batsmen? It's not like scoring runs against NZ first-class bowlers is a good indication of whether they would score runs in internationals either. We just have to live with what we have to judge players on. Cachopa scoring a few centuries against our domestic attacks isn't going to scare Steyn, Philander, and Morkel either. The batsmen we have at the moment have done the same thing, and they were recently bowled out for 45. It's not like we can pick bowlers that have had success at test level for that reserve spot, unless you want to pick a 38 year old. Love it or hate it, Milne's definitely among the top bowlers in the country that have yet to be picked for the test squad. Matt Henry, and Ben Wheeler would be the others.

Its more the way bowlers take wickets that is important. For example if Milne is taking wickets by beating batsmen for pace he might run through most domestic teams and teams such as Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. However if he played England/Australia/South Africa he would find the opposition would have no problem for his pace and he would struggle to take any wickets. Arnel is a good proof of this theory.
    Conversely if Milne was taking his wickets by a combination of swing/pace/seam and hitting good line and lengths, then he would bowl fine against those said nations.
    Same with batsmen, some might smash our domestic bowlers all over the park, but when they come up against international bowlers, they get ripped-apart because their technique isn't up to it.
    Imo you judge a player on a combination of technique and performance, before Milne makes the squad he needs to settle into a consistent line and length alongside at least a nibble of swing or seam

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Its more the way bowlers take wickets that is important. For example if Milne is taking wickets by beating batsmen for pace he might run through most domestic teams and teams such as Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. However if he played England/Australia/South Africa he would find the opposition would have no problem for his pace and he would struggle to take any wickets. Arnel is a good proof of this theory.
    Conversely if Milne was taking his wickets by a combination of swing/pace/seam and hitting good line and lengths, then he would bowl fine against those said nations.
    Same with batsmen, some might smash our domestic bowlers all over the park, but when they come up against international bowlers, they get ripped-apart because their technique isn't up to it.
    Imo you judge a player on a combination of technique and performance, before Milne makes the squad he needs to settle into a consistent line and length alongside at least a nibble of swing or seam
    Exactly, that's why good selectors read beyond the stats. The main thing they have to consider is whether or not the player's performances would translate to the next level.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I really don't think he's a bad option at all for what is essentially the fifth seamers spot behind Southee, Boult, Bracewell, and Wagner. I'd like to know who you would rather have there?
    Gillespie an obvious option ahead of Milne when he's fit (and frankly, possibly ahead of Bracewell). But I don't see the point of including a backup 5th fast bowler, and would rather include an allrounder like Neesham
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Batsmen who score lots of runs in the Plunkett Shield should be discounted because they're facing domestic bowlers. Similarly, bowlers who take lots of wickets should be discounted because they're bowling to domestic batsmen.

The best team we can pick is empty.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Yes, sensible domestic calender this hear. PS starts again on 24th Jan. He could theoretically play 5 games before the first test. Or more likely play 2 games before the first T20 on the 9th Feb, or probably even more likely play 0 games so that he is 'refreshed' ....... and then go to Derbyshire in the winter
    More in regards to Flynn

I don't have a problem with Flynn opening, heck I think he's probably New Zealand's best option. But he has to be given a decent crack, meaning.

He's able to get a few PS games in before the series starts (obvs looks likely) and he's given a proper run, i.e this can't just be a series thing.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Adam Milne, Pre-Xmas Plunket Wickets - YouTube

Maroon helmet, maroon helmet...yeah 0:39, Milne followed up that good Sanga ODI wicket with the Rutherford and Bracewell wickets which looked quite promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    40-45sec-ish area is sexy. Also, I've always been keen to see a bowler of whom I have a similar bowling action. Turns out it's Milne.

Sorry Wheeler, Milne makes it into the sig...

Official : Vern out ; Rory in

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Official : Vern out ; Rory in
    NZ won't be crying about that. Philander seems to miss a test most series.

U19 Cricketer
    My prediction for the next Test - Amla to score 2000* and Steyn to take 15 wickets for 11.

School Boy/Girl Captain LegendaryProtea's Avatar
    South Africa's record in the last two Tests that Vern has missed due to injury -
    Lost comfortably to Sri Lanka at home.
    Just about held on to a draw against all odds in Adelaide.

Not exactly inspiring. It's not just Vernon's wickets we'll miss but also how he enables Steyn and Morkel to pick up wickets at the other end by restricting scoring/playing with the batsman's judgement of his off-stump. South Africa should still win but it's going to be tougher now.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryProtea View Post
    South Africa's record in the last two Tests that Vern has missed due to injury -

Not exactly inspiring. It's not just Vernon's wickets we'll miss but also how he enables Steyn and Morkel to pick up wickets at the other end by restricting scoring/playing with the batsman's judgement of his off-stump. South Africa should still win but it's going to be tougher now.
    Even with SA's star studded lineup, that's a big blow.

I expect NZ to put up a better showing this time, but I still can't see them winning it.

School Boy/Girl Captain LegendaryProtea's Avatar
    I am hoping Elgar is dropped for the Pakistan series. He has looked incredibly ordinary in all the ODI matches in England, the single Test in Perth and now at home against a pretty average Kiwi bowling attack. I don't want to see Rudolph replace him either. It will be quite interesting to see who gets picked if Elgar is indeed dropped.

Huge blow. South Africa hasnít won a test in PE since 2000 as well. Kiwis win the toss and bowl first they have a chance.
    Think South Africa should have called up a Warriors seamer, someone with home knowledge be it the swinger Birch or that new guy, Ayabulela Gqamane. Expect Morne to get carried away and bowl the wrong the length.

I am hoping Elgar is dropped for the Pakistan series. He has looked incredibly ordinary in all the ODI matches in England, the single Test in Perth and now at home against a pretty average Kiwi bowling attack. I don't want to see Rudolph replace him either. It will be quite interesting to see who gets picked if Elgar is indeed dropped.
    Yeah, the England series showed he was out of his depth. I first saw him some years back and commented here he was very limited but there is no way he will score sufficient runs against either Pak's seamers or their spinners. Rudolph doesn't warrant a recall however, so I would get McKenzie in for the series. He can play spin and South Africa need that for Pakistan.

Thread Information