Page 167 of 284 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    The starting line up looks great, but theres no point including Milne against a team that has 150 kmph bowling at them in the nets, and it would be good to get Chops in the squad as well, nvm his weakness
    I picked Milne because he has a good record in the longer format, and dominated the Plunket Shield this season.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Yeah, probably agree. And, like it or not, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronchi forced his way into contention by then.
    I thought about including Ronchi, but we generally haven't included a reserve keeper in our test squads. I can't see him replacing Watling just yet, unless he has an absolutely terrible second test.

People should refrain from putting Ryder at 5 in their teams tbh. Overseas readers will think it's just a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I picked Milne because he has a good record in the longer format, and dominated the Plunket Shield this season.
    NZ domestic batsmen

Come on guys get realistic we need a genuine batsmen at number 7. As if the 5th bowler is going to add much more than the occasional wicket, and if we need to manage our bowlers, Vettori is there to bowl long tight spells and the part timers can chip a few in as well
    Ideal situation:
    7. Watling
    8 Vettori
    9. Bracewell/Wagner/whoever
    10. Southee
    11. Boult
    Why has Mark Gillespie suddenly fallen off the radar with everyone? In his last two tests (which were against SA) he took 11 wickets @ 22 and was by far and away our most likely wicket taking option. Short memories.

Fair point. But he is injury-prone and has only been OK for Wellington in Plunket Shield - 17 wickets @ 35.

NZ domestic batsmen
    NZ domestic batsmen? It's not like scoring runs against NZ first-class bowlers is a good indication of whether they would score runs in internationals either. We just have to live with what we have to judge players on. Cachopa scoring a few centuries against our domestic attacks isn't going to scare Steyn, Philander, and Morkel either. The batsmen we have at the moment have done the same thing, and they were recently bowled out for 45. It's not like we can pick bowlers that have had success at test level for that reserve spot, unless you want to pick a 38 year old. Love it or hate it, Milne's definitely among the top bowlers in the country that have yet to be picked for the test squad. Matt Henry, and Ben Wheeler would be the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Why has Mark Gillespie suddenly fallen off the radar with everyone? In his last two tests (which were against SA) he took 11 wickets @ 22 and was by far and away our most likely wicket taking option. Short memories.
    When he's fit and in form, he's definitely one of our best. He's always injured though.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Erm, dominated the Plunket Shield? He's only played in 2 games so far this season, and while he bowled well (in parts), I'd hardly call that dominating the comp.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Cricket, Black Caps: Batsmen Cop Friendly Fire In... | Stuff.co.nz

Hesson earlier hinted Guptill may go down the order and he may need a respite, leaving Flynn to potentially get a promotion.
    Are there many PS games before the England test series starts?
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You don't have to be a great player to be under-rated though. In fact you can be an absolutely awful player and still be under-rated if the general consensus of you is that of an even more vile player than you actually are.

Franklin was a good Test bowler for a period. That is being forgotten by many because of what the second half of his career has been like. Not by you, probably not even by too many New Zealanders on CW, but by a lot of semi-serious cricket fans and probably even serious ones from other countries as well. I'm not saying the he was ever world class or that he should go down as a great bowler for sustaining good bowling for ~ 20 Tests, but that doesn't mean he isn't under-rated. The longer this batting allrounder experiment goes on well after he's lost his bowling completely, the more under-rated his early bowling will get, as a lot of people will just remember him for this.
    I see where you're coming from but I guess I just don't really see it as an injustice that he isn't really rated or even noted by many cricket fans. So many bowlers with career trajectories like his have come and gone and they're all remembered fondly by fans of their country but no-one else, which is fair enough in my view.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Erm, dominated the Plunket Shield? He's only played in 2 games so far this season, and while he bowled well (in parts), I'd hardly call that dominating the comp.
    Dominated when he played then. 11 wickets @ 16, with an ER of 2.8 is quality.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Has dominated with the bat too, average of 67.50 at a strike rate of 65 is quality. Should get him in the team in place of Guptill. Actually tbh he couldn't do any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Cricket, Black Caps: Batsmen Cop Friendly Fire In... | Stuff.co.nz

Are there many PS games before the England test series starts?
    Yes, sensible domestic calender this hear. PS starts again on 24th Jan. He could theoretically play 5 games before the first test. Or more likely play 2 games before the first T20 on the 9th Feb, or probably even more likely play 0 games so that he is 'refreshed' ....... and then go to Derbyshire in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Has dominated with the bat too, average of 67.50 at a strike rate of 65 is quality. Should get him in the team in place of Guptill. Actually tbh he couldn't do any worse.
    I really don't think he's a bad option at all for what is essentially the fifth seamers spot behind Southee, Boult, Bracewell, and Wagner. I'd like to know who you would rather have there?

Thread Information