• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd probably go with Mitch, especially if he has a decent T20 series. It's only a reserve spot anyway.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So, Boult and Bracewell the locks it would seem (if Bracewell was going to be dropped due to some poor tests recently he won't be now). If Franklin plays, they may leave Wagner out rather than have 3 left arm seamers, which means Martin might play with Jeets or B.Martin the spinner.

personally, from the squad (without knowing Southee's replacement), I'd pick:

1. Guptill
2. McCullum
3. Flynn
4. Williamson
5. Watling+
6. Brownlie
7. Franklin
8. B Martin
9. Bracewell
10. Boult
11. C Martin
12th man: Patel

Phantom's swansong? Given he's record in South Africa, he deserves a crack.

Flem274*

123/5
Which Audi convertible he drives is important. Can't have any metro quicks out there after all.

Though if he wins the Important Moments he may be forgiven.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I would arrange the deck chairs in this order

Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptill
Kane Williamson
Dean Brownlie
Daniel Flynn
(insert best allrounder from T20 :ph34r:)
BJ Watling
Doug Bracewell
Neil Wagner
Jeetan Patel
Trent Boult

Don't want either Franklin or Fulton in the XI. Bowlers named Martin are the others to miss out.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
southee is a huge blow, so it is essentially SA vs NZ 'A' now

ffs, just when you thought southee might finally turn into a very good bowler, he got injured.

strong possibility: amla and kallis to now score more runs in the series than the combined total of NZ

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That's some seriously devastating news about Southee. My intrestest in the test series has waned significantly as a result.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Boult will be the bigger threat in this series, but losing that combination sucks.

Martin will be the replacement bowler. He better not **** it up.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Too much pessimism. Southee would have been good but isn't he equally likely to go missing in action every now and then? And Wagner looks very good also; let him play, you might uncover something there. He and Boult have to be the two most promising lefties around, now that Amir isn't in the frame. Get Martin to do a support gig and everything isn't so bleak. SA are prone to brain farts at home..SL beat them last year.

Sorry, you've got Bracewell, so Martin can push on to the old folks home. And Starc is another left armer.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
Ah crap. I wasn't buying into the whole "Southee is a boss" thing, but he was easily our best bowler on form atm.

Marto is a solid replacement, hurts our batting though. I hope Mitch rips up in the 20/20s and sticks on. Bracewell really needs to stand up, or we will get plastered then bowled out for 150.