• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

jcas0167

International Debutant
So sending him down the order is the answer? We need openers more than we need middle order batsmen, and on merit he doesn't really deserve to replace anyone except maybe Flynn. And given Taylor is aiming to come back vs England that makes it moot, for mine.
No, but for the second innings in this game it might make more sense to keep Watling going.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd send Watling out as an opener. Why bother sending Guptill out there? BJ has been out there for a while, and would be a better chance of scoring runs than anyone else atm.
You can't actually do that. You can't bat twice in a row. There has to be at least be a 15 minute break before a batsman can start their second innings if they were not out in the first and they followed on. A situation like this occurred about 5 years ago.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yep, Guptill was picked for a job, but he's failed at it. Putting him to open again would just be flogging a dead horse.

Well done Watling.
gonna flip flop, but due to the fact Watling is looking bloody gun. Let him keep batting!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks a great day for batting so I suspect Smith and co. may want 50+ overs for average boasting.

50 runs partnership up now. Was dumb to take a steaming Steyn out of the attack. Rory showing why he is a crap limited overs bowler. No clue.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
You can't actually do that. You can't bat twice in a row. There has to be at least be a 15 minute break before a batsman can start their second innings if they were not out in the first and they followed on. A situation like this occurred about 5 years ago.
What if 9 wickets are lost within 15 minutes?

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm sure this is wrong and Dravid did exactly this at the Oval in 2011.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Says f###ing who???

Flametree

International 12th Man
So an opener who batted thru the entire innings couldn't resume his rightful place in the batting order in teh second innings.... LOLOLOLOL

jcas0167

International Debutant
What if the not out batsman is an opener? Can't be right.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Boult and Southee batting together is something to look forward to come the England series. And if they bat for 30 minutes they will most likely surpass what the rest of the Kiwi batting lineup did.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Yeah pretty sure that's not right.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm sure this is wrong and Dravid did exactly this at the Oval in 2011.
Think Dravid had opened the first innings too, hadn't he?

The very fact someone can carry their bat would seem to support your case. Be a nonsense teams had to change their order because the oppo couldn't dismiss an opener.