• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Really don't understand all the Elgar hate, in only his third match, he scores an unbeaten century. Yes, he didn't make a fantastic debut, but so have many great batsmen made pairs first game. I thought he played well, and people are seriously saying he can't play the short ball because Mitch owned him at the WACA?? From what I saw, he was more than competent off the back foot, and absolutely creamed Wagner one ball.

Fully expect Elgar to kick on now, and become our future test opener.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do NZ see Munro as a batsmen, or all-rounder? Just a little confused as to why he came in at 7, below Watling. Had assumed because of his FC record he'd at least be in the top 6.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do NZ see Munro as a batsmen, or all-rounder? Just a little confused as to why he came in at 7, below Watling. Had assumed because of his FC record he'd at least be in the top 6.
I think NZ see Munro as a batsman worse than Watling who can bowl a bit. Certainly how I see him anyway.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roger roger, his FC batting record is misleading then I take it? (haven't seen him play at all ftr)

jcas0167

International Debutant
Watling: can bat. So impressed with him in general ever since he took up the gloves again, and I was pretty sceptical about the whole thing at the time.
How about Watling opening and Ronchi to come in with the gloves?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Roger roger, his FC batting record is misleading then I take it? (haven't seen him play at all ftr)
Haha, yeah. He bats six for Auckland, and their 3-5 lineup is Reece Young, Colin de Grandhomme and Gareth Hopkins, so Watling batting ahead of him is certainly no shame. He's an aggressive, leg side/back foot dominant player who is very suited to the lower middle order even domestically. Watling is a (much) better batsman in general but also a natural opener who has been converted into a middle order player so he can keep wicket. I would've been annoyed if Munro came out at 6 tbh.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Oh wot, getting rid of Franklin didn't fix our batting?

Had thought of staying up to watch our batting but rather glad I didn't.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It would be so harsh on Watling unless that's what he wanted. They've dicked him around a ridiculous amount. I'd sooner make Flynn open and have Watling and Ronchi at 6 and 7.
awta

And Watling looked about as competent as Guptill last time he opened too.

jcas0167

International Debutant
It would be so harsh on Watling unless that's what he wanted. They've dicked him around a ridiculous amount. I'd sooner make Flynn open and have Watling and Ronchi at 6 and 7.
Flynn does seem more suited to opening with his gritty style. I thought he looked good in that 3rd test against SA at the Basin last season. When Taylor returns either he or Guptill will have to make way (or shift Watling to no7). I think Brownlie has secured a spot with his century in the last game.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flynn does seem more suited to opening with his gritty style. I thought he looked good in that 3rd test against SA at the Basin last season. When Taylor returns either he or Guptill will have to make way (or shift Watling to no7). I think Brownlie has secured a spot with his century in the last game.
Munro?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Really don't understand all the Elgar hate, in only his third match, he scores an unbeaten century. Yes, he didn't make a fantastic debut, but so have many great batsmen made pairs first game. I thought he played well, and people are seriously saying he can't play the short ball because Mitch owned him at the WACA?? From what I saw, he was more than competent off the back foot, and absolutely creamed Wagner one ball.
Fully expect Elgar to kick on now, and become our future test opener.
Yep Elgar was fantastic, a century facing mostly the mighty trio of Wagner, Patel and Munro is outstanding stuff, all those edges and misses were beautiful.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think at this stage Munro seen as an allrounder in the no7 spot & they want Watling at no6. So when Taylor returns Brownlie or Flynn will have to move. Flynn could potentially replace Guptill opening.

Actually, given Brownlie is so good off the backfoot and seems to prefer pace to spin I'm surprised he hasn't been tried in the top 3.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oops. In my defense I stayed up all night and wept as Manu got a first baller. I'm not in the best mental state.

It's plain as day Gup isn't up to opening and that via his limited overs numbers he has the talent. So Flynny probably is the best fit - bringing in Ronchi isn't a bad idea as we're not getting a tremendous amount out of our fourth seamer anyway, as decently as Manu bowled on day one and two

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Yep Elgar was fantastic, a century facing mostly the mighty trio of Wagner, Patel and Munro is outstanding stuff, all those edges and misses were beautiful.
He didn't edge a whole lot, if he had, he would be of been out a lot earlier. It wasn't the greatest bowling up, but he can't help it if we are playing minnows??

Take away Bangladesh and Zim, how many of your batsmen average more than 25 in Tests???