• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Mike5181

International Captain
We'll see on Friday anyway. If he does the business in the T20Is he may find himself in the ODI team at some point.

Flem274*

123/5
He must be stoked to bowl on something that isn't Colin Munro Park.

His ball to Papps a few weeks ago was pretty much the perfect delivery to the front foot oriented right hander.

Flem274*

123/5
All right, since it's obvious this series is being viewed as a trial for the next limited overs allrounder, to get this thread moving lets place our bets.

Anderson - highest ceiling of the three, and potentially world class in both departments. Unfortunately he's on the floor of the room with the very high ceiling (to steal a quote from PEWS).
Munro - The most limited of the three due to his batting technique and his bowling is the weakest of this lot. His eye is as good as either and he makes hitting look easy. He has also been the most effective of the three with the bat across all formats so far.
Neesham - Equal with Anderson with the bat in terms of raw potential, but has been more effective with bat and ball. He is currently the most effective bowler of the three.

Batting (on results) - Munro, Neesham, Anderson
Batting (on potential) - Anderson = Neesham, gap, Munro
Bowling (on results) - Neesham, daylight, Anderson = Munro
Bowling (on potential) - Anderson, daylight, Neesham, daylight, Munro

I'm going to place my bet on Jimmy Neesham. He combines ability with progress.

I'm expecting to be told to taste it over the newest candidate for Genuine Fast Bowler Who Doesn't Break Down as well. I have a hunch McClenaghan will enjoy South African conditions quite a lot with his style of bowling.

Not going to taste it ftr. I was right in 2009. It's 2012 now.:ph34r:

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No rain expected for Friday's game at Durban. At least the series can get off to a good start.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard Richard Boock told Brendon Telfer he had an inkling that McCullum may well keep wickets in the Test matches.
This is a man who used to smoke reefer in his hotel room on tour reporting cricket matches, not bothering to go to the ground unless absolutely necessary. Think he's having another baked moment even bringing that nonsense up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Inspired by the Colin Munro's lingering Safrican accent here's the NZ African XI. Have I missed anyone? Rather lacking in the bowling department but at least they have three wicketkeepers :happy:

Andrew De Boorder*
BJ Watling
Carl Cachopa
Colin Munro
Craig Cachopa
Kruger Van Wyk
Brad Cachopa
Derek De Boorder*
Colin De Grandhomme
Neil Wagner

* I know the De Boorders are NZ born but I need numbers so gonna assume the last name is via Safrica rather than Dutch.

Edit: Forgot BJ Watling - four wicketkeepers....

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Shwing and a miss, they're Dutch if anything. No Saffer at all in them.

Roald Badenhorst, James Fuller..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fine then. Yeah I probably should have guessed Badenhorst with a name like that. And Grant Elliott gives us XI!

BJ Watling
Carl Cachopa
Colin Munro
Craig Cachopa
Grant Elliott
Kruger Van Wyk
Brad Cachopa
Colin De Grandhomme
Roald Badenhorst
James Fuller
Neil Wagner

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Lack of spinner is disappointing though unsurprising. Can't imagine the Saffers would let any half decent spinner leave their shores these days.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of middle order batsmen though (some of rather dubious quality). Everyone wants to bat at number 6.

Days of Grace

International Captain
New theory: if Ronchi is really earmarked to take the gloves against England, then maybe McCullum can fill in for two tests in South Africa.

Seems cruel to give BJ the gloves and then take them away from him once Ronchi becomes available.

jcas0167

International Debutant
All right, since it's obvious this series is being viewed as a trial for the next limited overs allrounder, to get this thread moving lets place our bets.

Anderson - highest ceiling of the three, and potentially world class in both departments. Unfortunately he's on the floor of the room with the very high ceiling (to steal a quote from PEWS).
Munro - The most limited of the three due to his batting technique and his bowling is the weakest of this lot. His eye is as good as either and he makes hitting look easy. He has also been the most effective of the three with the bat across all formats so far.
Neesham - Equal with Anderson with the bat in terms of raw potential, but has been more effective with bat and ball. He is currently the most effective bowler of the three.

Batting (on results) - Munro, Neesham, Anderson
Batting (on potential) - Anderson = Neesham, gap, Munro
Bowling (on results) - Neesham, daylight, Anderson = Munro
Bowling (on potential) - Anderson, daylight, Neesham, daylight, Munro

I'm going to place my bet on Jimmy Neesham. He combines ability with progress.

I'm expecting to be told to taste it over the newest candidate for Genuine Fast Bowler Who Doesn't Break Down as well. I have a hunch McClenaghan will enjoy South African conditions quite a lot with his style of bowling.

Not going to taste it ftr. I was right in 2009. It's 2012 now.:ph34r:
This is an excellent analysis. I'd be interested to see some footage of Kuggeleijn batting - in the Dompost they said he looked like Cairns in getting his 156. He could be competing with this group pretty soon.

What's the highest in the order these guys could come in? Could Munro or Anderson bat at 4 in ODI's?

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is an excellent analysis. I'd be interested to see some footage of Kuggeleijn batting - in the Dompost they said he looked like Cairns in getting his 156. He could be competing with this group pretty soon.

What's the highest in the order these guys could come in? Could Munro or Anderson bat at 4 in ODI's?
lol, maybe in the sense that he was hitting the ball powerfully, but I can't think of any other similarities between the two. Zero foot movement, and just swinging through the line a lot of the time.

jcas0167

International Debutant
lol, maybe in the sense that he was hitting the ball powerfully, but I can't think of any other similarities between the two. Zero foot movement, and just swinging through the line a lot of the time.
hehe, cool. I've just tracked down the article (also I got his score mixed up with Southee's - it was 142 not out).

Not a huge foot-mover, he prefers to stand tall, and slightly to the leg side of the ball, and then hit hard through the line.

At times yesterday he resembled Chris Cairns and developing into a genuine allrounder is definitely his aim.

"In three or four years I want to be batting [at] six or seven and scoring a lot of runs, but we'll see how it goes," Kuggeleijn said.
Kuggeleijn Reveals Hidden Batting Talents | Stuff.co.nz