Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 284 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Reports Ross won't play SA Tests, possibly on the news Southee is going to be vice-captain.

Leadership now determined by brazen intent and alpha dog proactiveness, Test sixes per 100 runs being a key measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

I think McCullum will make a fantastic captain, but I don't understand the reason for giving Southee the vice captaincy.

Sure it's great that they want to give him more responsibility, so why not just give him some un-spoken senior player responsibility? Perhaps it's only for LO.

He needs to maintain his aggression in test cricket and I'm not sure that giving him extra responsibility is good for that.

Oh well.

Time to move on from the fiasco I think. I just want Taylor and Ryder back in the team and I want them all to do well.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think McCullum will make a fantastic captain, but I don't understand the reason for giving Southee the vice captaincy.
    Well they cant really bring Nat McCullum into the test side so the Hesson camp has to make do with their next biggest supporter
    Realistically with Guptill being so out of form, the only guaranteed starters with enough Test experience are Williamson and Southee and untill Williamson settles in as a batsmen he wont be given a leadership role imo.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Would have to have a pretty bloody level head to even consider giving a fast bowler any sort of captaincy. So not Southee, in other words.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Reports Ross won't play SA Tests, possibly on the news Southee is going to be vice-captain.

Leadership now determined by brazen intent and alpha dog proactiveness, Test sixes per 100 runs being a key measure.
    Southee as vice captain? Beyond hilarious

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    hmm i wonder who we will turn to when we need a breakthough wicket and BMC is injured

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Southee as captain - when I thought I'd seen everything. What was wrong with Kaneh being vice exactly? He did OK IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    ...but I don't understand the reason for giving Southee the vice captaincy.
    You don't?
    He's a member of the Hesson boys club. The vice captaincy is his 30 pieces of silver.

Looks like they might turn up on one of those lucky days tomorrow for the warm-up game in Durban when it doesn't rain. Damn tropical weather.

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    You don't?
    He's a member of the Hesson boys club. The vice captaincy is his 30 pieces of silver.
    I can't see Southee being the type to back-stab people or join a clique. I have never met him, but my family knows his and they are pretty typical farmers. A bit blunt and opinionated, but if they are unhappy they will tell you that to your face. If Tim is like the rest of his clan then he was probably fairly open with any unhappiness about Ross' captaincy, but I doubt he would have plotted to get rid of him.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the players themselves didn't have much to do with Ross' knifing at all. Hesson seemed pretty set on getting rid of Taylor from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Binkley View Post
    I can't see Southee being the type to back-stab people or join a clique. I have never met him, but my family knows his and they are pretty typical farmers. A bit blunt and opinionated, but if they are unhappy they will tell you that to your face. If Tim is like the rest of his clan then he was probably fairly open with any unhappiness about Ross' captaincy, but I doubt he would have plotted to get rid of him.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the players themselves didn't have much to do with Ross' knifing at all. Hesson seemed pretty set on getting rid of Taylor from day one.
    Yeah, look, I'm being deliberately blunt and over the top in my criticism because I'm extremely angry at what has happened and what is going to continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

It wasn't long ago that Southee was carrying on with a lady on an airliner in such a way as to cause fellow passengers to complain and for Southee to be censured by Taylor. Does that sound like potential captain material? Why is Southee suddenly a better vice captain candidate than Williamson? Why is NcCullum suddenly a vice captain candidate for the LO team?

It's Turner and Germon all over again. Only worse.

School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Yeah, look, I'm being deliberately blunt and over the top in my criticism because I'm extremely angry at what has happened and what is going to continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

It wasn't long ago that Southee was carrying on with a lady on an airliner in such a way as to cause fellow passengers to complain and for Southee to be censured by Taylor. Does that sound like potential captain material? Why is Southee suddenly a better vice captain candidate than Williamson? Why is NcCullum suddenly a vice captain candidate for the LO team?

It's Turner and Germon all over again. Only worse.
    I'm angry too. The whole saga has been a fiasco from start to finish, and one that could easily have been avoided if we had anyone in the management, governance or coaching level with even an ounce of common sense and decency.

I also agree that there are plenty of players who stand in front of Southee in the queue for captaincy. Like the guy who has captained the national team before (Williamson). And anyone else who has actually captained a FC team at least once in their career.

I bet ya Southee hasn't captained a team for a long time. Probably not at all.

Hesson has a thing in his head about the captain being a well like guy off the field imo. A captain should be respected and lead at the front, on the field. Just because the guys like Tim Southee, doesn't make him a captain. Williamson is easily the next cab of the rank, but he probably spends to much time in the nets and not enough time on the piss for Hesson's liking.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    It all makes sense now - captaincy in the blackcaps is decided by playing beer pong

regardless of whether he makes a good captain or not, he's in the form of his life. Legitimate claim to being one of the form fast bowlers in the world right now and they want to complicate that?

TBH I wouldn't be doing anything at all that might compromise his aggression.

If that means him getting angry when Taylor tells him to not bowl ****, well I'm not sure why you'd want to challenge that formula after the recent few months.

Thread Information