• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
A question for the Saffers here, I've read that there are some troubles between the players and the board over some Nicholson review.

Given that according to this article the players are considering a strike as early as februrary as a possibility, I'd like to know something more about what's going on and what was that Nicholson review about.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Just got up to read the review of the day. Can anyone imagine Kruger van Wyk not demanding the skipper review a catch??? Watling needs to be more like a real keeper...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watched most of the second session - a real mixed bag from all of Boult, Wagner and Bracewell. All were getting some shape with the older ball and in the periods I watched were bowling testing lines and lengths around 4 balls an over.... unfortunately the other 2 or so were poor balls and that can be seen in their econ rates of 3.9, 4 and 3.3 respectably.

Not a lot in the pitch mind you - fairly slow. Will be interesting to see how SA bowl, particularly once the shine wears off the ball (hoping we're not 5 down by then).

Williamson dropping Amla was a huge let-off - could have had SA 152/4 with a chance to bowl them out for around 350. He's been pretty good in the gully recently but completely misjudged that and ended up in the wrong position. Also disappointing to see we should have had FDP caught down the legside.

All in all we didn't bowl terribly but SA have predictably moved into a position of dominance in the match.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Watched most of the second session - a real mixed bag from all of Boult, Wagner and Bracewell. All were getting some shape with the older ball and in the periods I watched were bowling testing lines and lengths around 4 balls an over.... unfortunately the other 2 or so were poor balls and that can be seen in their econ rates of 3.9, 4 and 3.3 respectably.

- snip-

All in all we didn't bowl terribly but SA have predictably moved into a position of dominance in the match.
Hmm... I'd say bowling 1-2 bad balls per over is terrible test bowling isn't it? You might get away with it at lower levels, but it seems to suggest the bowlers can't make the step up to test level.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
From what I saw (and gathered of the first session from cricinfo/here) I'd give them a 4 out of 10 rather than a terrible 2. If Williamson had taken that catch or they'd had a smidgeon more luck with edges the scoreline would have been a little more favourable.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Our bowling hasn't been the best but that said we've put some very good batsman under pressure in conditions that aren't particularly helpful to our attack.

An adequate performance that will only see us get humiliated when our batting (by far our weakest suit) gets rolled.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Our bowling hasn't been the best but that said we've put some very good batsman under pressure in conditions that aren't particularly helpful to our attack.

An adequate performance that will only see us get humiliated when our batting (by far our weakest suit) gets rolled.
Disagree. There's been enough assistance but we've been way to inconsistent to use it. Prepare for a minefield when SA bowl.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Disagree. There's been enough assistance but we've been way to inconsistent to use it. Prepare for a minefield when SA bowl.
We have used it. Not to the extent that we probably would have if Southee was in the team but still to a decent standard. South Africa has a **** load of the best batsman in the world and if we lose out on a few chances and a few decisions don't go our way then seeing us or any attack besides an ATG one at 320/4 is hardly disgraceful.

It's not great but it isn't poor either.

I look at the SA batting and see a top 6 that has averaged 50 a piece for yonks. It's disheartening tstl.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Athlai's in Paeroa using a phone btw, only a small step towards more informed observations on this test than Phlegm, who's in the wops with a tranny.