• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Possible clips of this will make the sports news in South Africa, please capture it for us if it does.
van Zyl's known for having a really classical technique too, so it'll be interesting to see if it was a typical T20 mow wicket or a proper one.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I can't remember the rules concerning trees inside the bounds of the field. Anyone willing to refresh my memory?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The one at Kent it used to be that if you hit the tree it was 4 and that was it. A long time I believe the rules had allowed for someone to get the ball stuck in the tree and rack up rather a lot of runs.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Bloody awful news it must be. What about online streams or something then?
All the matches will be broadcast on SuperSport (pay TV). If you have the means to stream it online, you almost certainly can afford SuperSport. The issue here is that the (almost free) national broadcaster, who usually shows all home games, won't be showing the matches. According to cricinfo "Last season, the two Twenty20s against Australia pulled in an average of 1,254,642 viewers on SABC while SuperSport had 252,071.", So the problem is that cricket won't be reaching "the masses" this year.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to hear Brendon is giving Mitch full reign to take wickets at the top without fear of leaking runs. First tick in the box for the new (c) - we've been crying out for a spearhead in limited overs for a long time now

Binkley

U19 Captain
Is it confirmed that Southee is the vc for the test side, or is this still a rumour? If true, then that is just bizarre. Williamson was captain of the u19's (a side which featured several current BC's), of ND (a side which featured several current BC's) and briefly the NZ ODI side.
What a surprise, the day after NZ Cricket say they know nothing about it - the rumours return:

Tim Southee in Frame to be New Zealand Vice-Captain... | Stuff.co.nz

I have to say that I am not a fan of putting too much responsibility on Williamson's shoulders. He is too young, and as the best batsman in a very poor batting team he already bears a huge amount of weight. I guess vice-captaincy comes with few real responsibilities, but I'd be happier if he had a bit more time to actually bed into top level cricket.

Having said that, who else is there who could step up? Guptill? Flynn? Brownlie? Watling? Of them only Guptill is a first team regular - and I have no idea whether he has had any captaincy experience or how effective he might be. Plus, he seems to be good friends with Ross Taylor and that probably means he is on the outer with Hesson. Brownlie is a South Islander and is originally from Perth, so that gives him two ticks (In the "South Islander" and "probably drinks beer" boxes). Or what about Franklin - he has captained Wellington at the very least.

Anyway, it seems to me that there is no very good alternative in there. It is either Williamson or Southee. One is too young and doesn't look like he is the sort to be seen knocking back pints at Lovelocks with Hesson on a Friday night, and the other has no captaincy experience that I am aware of.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SABC to broadcast only one cricket match only:

Eyewitness News: SABC to broadcast one cricket match

This a a huge blow for SA cricket fans. Seeing how many millions of broadcast money gets thrown out in order to please the so called governing party (ANC), this is also hardly defendable.
Since the SABC is the TV station of the ANC this means our government gives nothing about cricket .... all one could watch is third class soccer ... :yucky:

So guys like me will depend on you to get to know about the games afterwards ..... :(:(

I think I just go and cry a little .... :blink::schmoll:
Do you know what this means for the sky NZ and international broadcast?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
SABC to broadcast only one cricket match only:

Eyewitness News: SABC to broadcast one cricket match

This a a huge blow for SA cricket fans. Seeing how many millions of broadcast money gets thrown out in order to please the so called governing party (ANC), this is also hardly defendable.
Since the SABC is the TV station of the ANC this means our government gives nothing about cricket .... all one could watch is third class soccer ... :yucky:

So guys like me will depend on you to get to know about the games afterwards ..... :(:(

I think I just go and cry a little .... :blink::schmoll:

This is what happens when the 8th ranked team in the world decides to **** around their best players and doesn't do what it can to get them on the plane.

Shocking.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Do you know what this means for the sky NZ and international broadcast?
It'll be fine. It's not like Prime being allowed to air 1 or 2 matches per season ever has any effect on the international broadcasting of our home matches.

Zinzan

I heard Richard Boock told Brendon Telfer he had an inkling that McCullum may well keep wickets in the Test matches.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I heard Richard Boock told Brendon Telfer he had an inkling that McCullum may well keep wickets in the Test matches.
:blink:

I call bull**** for now. But in the scenario that this is true, I guess our top 7 would be:

Fulton, Guptill, Williamson, Brownlie, Flynn, McCullum, Franklin/Watling?

Last edited:

Zinzan

:blink:

I call bull**** for now. But in the scenario that this is true, I guess our top 7 would be:

Fulton, Guptill, Williamson, Brownlie, Flynn, McCullum, Franklin/Watling?
Pfft, they just qualified it and it was nothing more than a thought Boock had himself rather than anything he had heard, so false alarm. Telfer clearly after ratings.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
leaves us free to fantasize about that 145kph inswinger cutting the futile textbook forward defense in half and ruining off stick