Page 119 of 284 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 4246

Thread: **Official** New Zealand in South Africa

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I was doing some thinking.

Were New Zealand batsmen that bad today ?

I know we can question whether some have the technique to handle this sort of attack where it does a little bit but do you take it as a positive that most of the wickets were taken due to good bowling by the opposition.

I don't think too many of the batsmen got out to bad deliveries.
    It was wonderful bowling by Philander - no doubt. It's nice of you to try to be positive about NZ's batting however suspect the way some of our batsmen played some of those deliveries made them look unplayable rather than just difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Brendon McCullum may have suffered due to an average technique but a couple of away-swingers then a beuty of an in-nipper got through the gate? How much different is Kane Williamson getting a similar delivery but going out LBW instead for example?
    The ball to get Williamson came in a lot further than the one to get McCullum iirc. Philander's ball to Williamson was probably the best of the day considering that he was frequently getting the ball to leap to elbow height from that same length, so Williamson would have been hard pressed to get forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I reckon the bowling was absolutely excellent today and Philander would have taken 3-4 wickets against most teams in those overs he bowled but you'd have a chance of one quality bat standing up and getting the team to a decent score if bowling against a better team IMO.
    Awta. And NZ's only batsmen who have regularly scored difficult runs in the last few years are Taylor, and Vettori (whose run-scoring days may now be passed).

I don't have too much of a problem with McCullum's decision to bat first, because it is a decision that a captain should be able to make. However, this is a case in which a coach should step in and temper his aggression with what he knows to be reality.

The reality is that our bowling attack>our batting lineup. By a long way

The best we can hope for batting first on a spicy deck: 300, absolute max against this bowling attack.
    The worst that may happen batting first: 45 all out.

The best we can hope for bowling first: opposition 150 all out.
    The worst that can happen: 350/2 at the end of the day.

At some point someone has to make the decision to do justice to our bowlers. That has to come from the coach.

It's not the captain's job to be entirely realistic, IMO. He has to maintain positivity. He just needs to have that tempered by reality from the coach.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiced View Post
    If Graham had won the coin toss he would have elected to bat too, but also stated it will be "tough" the first session.
    iirc - Smith said it would have been a tough decision but he would have bowled first.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Disappointed to see Amla "failed". Was looking forward to watching him bat for several days.

Philander Superb spell. Outstanding.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    If you lose the toss as a captain you always claim that you were going to do what you end up doing anyway. So I don't think those words count for much.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I think the fact is without a middle order of Williamson-Taylor-Ryder-Flynn, this is going to happen often to this very NZ A esque batting order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Meh, reckon you bat first probably 90% of the time in cricket. Find it hard to criticise Mccullum on that front, particularly being the first test. Maybe if it was the second test after a hammering you would do it, but bowling first on the first morning is like giving up pre-series. You may as well not even turn up if you don't think you can win.
    Don't understand your logic. Bowling first=declaring that you can't win? If you can seize the best of the conditions at any stage, do it. It's not like we have a world-class spinner that makes batting first an obvious advantage in the fourth innings.

With all options considered, to me, bowling first was the best idea. The pitch was only going to become better to bat on, we don't have a world class spinner (nor do they) so them batting fourth is not a poor option.

And yeah, Philander et all bowled well. But nigh on every batsmen fell when tighter techniques would have served them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I think the fact is without a middle order of Williamson-Taylor-Ryder-Flynn, this is going to happen often to this very NZ A esque batting order.

They will drop Flynn even though he's our most capable batsman against the moving ball.

I can see it happening.

It will be stupid.

Flynn scored 8. Even if we take the Martin factor into account, he scored 8*. Lets not get too carried away.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Flynn scored 8. Even if we take the Martin factor into account, he scored 8*. Lets not get too carried away.
    I'm not saying he's a great batsman or anything, just that it would be a very poor selection move to drop him.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I wouldn't say he is that great against the moving ball, but he does dig in for the long haul and I can see a junior batsman like him copping the blame for last night.

Franklin's last test?

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Franklin and Brownlie will drop out before Flynn.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I wouldn't say he is that great against the moving ball, but he does dig in for the long haul and I can see a junior batsman like him copping the blame for last night.

Franklin's last test?
    Who would you replace him with? Wagner could probably last just as long with the bat.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Prepare for the luckiest 51* you'll ever see to save his arse for another 20 games in the 3rd innings

I would like to see Neesham come in for Franklin.

Thread Information